Recommend me a good restaurant in Newcastle

i'm coming up to see the old dear at the end of the month. she's going to babysit one night so i can take the mrs out on a rare date night. any new restaurants in or around the toon that has come up that anyone would recommend for such an occasion? i'm thinking at the cafe 21/jesmond dene house end of things...

in other news i'm devastated to learn that my favourite chinese in newcastle (dragon house), where i've been going since i was about 6 years old, has shut down.

House of Tides, Kenny Atkinson's new place. I don't think there are any other restaurants in town that are on the level of Cafe 21/Jesmond Dene House. Maybe Six @ The Baltic? In any case, House of Tides surpasses them all. Full nine course tasting menu experience too, which you won't be getting elsewhere in town.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is that what you called her?

I swiped left on this comment. 

I'm 52 which makes my Yeezy post even more ridiculous.  

Posted Images

House of Tides, Kenny Atkinson's new place. I don't think there are any other restaurants in town that are on the level of Cafe 21/Jesmond Dene House. Maybe Six @ The Baltic? In any case, House of Tides surpasses them all. Full nine course tasting menu experience too, which you won't be getting elsewhere in town.

Sounds mint that.

I went to Alain Ducasse at Le Meurice the other week. 3 stars there, the booze was great but the food was not all that. Funny night though, the bloke paying for dinner was an arms-trader from West Virginia who had done two tours of Vietnam, been in prison in Russia and had someone do time for him in India. He was a character like, i asked him why he went back to Vietnam after the first time, he said it was because he hated his first wife.

Michelin stars are handed out in France to the right people but restaurants in places like Newcastle have to really really earn them. I bet its great there, will have to try it next time we are home, i hope he gets his star anyway as i know how much it means to chefs. Cafe 21 had one didn't it? Has it still got it?