Recommend me a good restaurant in Newcastle

Anorthernsoul

• 7 months later...

I've not, but Ackbars curry house, which is just over the square, is decent. And very child friendly ( in a non-Teeside way).

Went there for a family do last month - 18 of us, half of which were kids. Youngest was my 18mth old hooligan, they were absolutely spot on.It was a Saturday night too.

The food is very good , they do a rabbit starter which is not something you see too often.

Edited by Monkeys Fist

Anybody been to Electric East (what used to be called Barn Asia) before?

Excellent review in the Sunderland Echo from a writer who used to love it when it was Barn Asia.

Same chefs and staff etc.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/lifestyle/the-guide/eating-out/review_electric_east_waterloo_square_newcastle_1_4162886

That review is shite :lol:

?? Not sure how.

Its a bloke who used to love the barn asia who has since been back a few weeks ago and confirmed the grub is just as good as it ever was and is being made and prepared by the same staff.

More helpful than the proceeding five post anyway. :)

Little bit out of Newcastle, but I went to Escobars over the metty a couple of months back and it was fucking mint and I shall definitely be going again.

Been to Cafe Med in Jesmond a couple of times and was canny. I've always liked Luciano's over Kingston Park, but I've heard it gans to shite when busy.

Keep away from Piccolino's near the Quayside, though - it's one of the worst restaurants I've ever been in.

That review is shite :lol:

?? Not sure how.

Its a bloke who used to love the barn asia who has since been back a few weeks ago and confirmed the grub is just as good as it ever was and is being made and prepared by the same staff.

More helpful than the proceeding five post anyway. :)

Being a scran snob, the fact that he didn't realise Caesar Salad should have anchovies in it shows him up a bit.

However, I do agree with CT, this guy is obviously a fan of Barn Asia, and reckons its new incarnation is much the same.

Pretty much answered 2J's question I'd say.

Looking for somewhere different from the regulars for Saturday night, any cuisine.

Cheers :D

Blackfriars best one in Newcastle, I wouldn't gan nee where in Stowell Street been to nearly everyone - aal pish. Blackfriars really is the daddy, beautiful food - canny portions, and it's not that expensive.

i used to like the dragon house back in the day. that was always my favourite on the street. they used to do lush hot and sour soup and singapore noodles.

the new rendezvous in darras hall is the best chinese i've been to in the area, though exactly in the heart of the city.

for other restaurants, i'd recommend cafe 21 and the jesmond deane house hotel as decent places to take the mrs.

all the above are probably obvious shouts to most people in the area. there are probably loads of better newer places that exiled geordies like me don't know about.

francesca's in jesmond used to be my favourite pizzeria.

A shout out to Barca Art Cafe on Front Street in Tynemouth, in what was the venerable & indeed terrible Rawalpindi. We went there Sunday evening & were bowled over by the quality of it.

Locally caught mussels in white wine & pesto shared starter, with homemade foccacia, followed by pork sunday lunch for her (nice touch was homemade potato rosti) & monkfish & chorizo cassoulet for me that i could have been eating in Bilbao or Donostie such was the quality of it. No desserts, but coffees & a bottle of Tempranillo, as well as pre-prandial Wylam tankard for me & some la-di-dah Italian (not Peroni) for her all came to less than £50.

superb quality, attentive service & rather enjoyable low level musical background that included Primal Scream, Neil Young & The Yardbirds, this is a place we must revisit.

Took the missus to Dabawall which is a new indian restaurant on new bridge street (or high bridge street... one or the other) and the food there was excellent, as was the service.

Popadoms, 2 starters, 2 mains, a rice, a nan, a beer for me and a wine for her - £50 so pretty decent price

Took the missus to Dabawall which is a new indian restaurant on new bridge street (or high bridge street... one or the other) and the food there was excellent, as was the service.

Popadoms, 2 starters, 2 mains, a rice, a nan, a beer for me and a wine for her - £50 so pretty decent price

+1