Recommend me a good restaurant in Newcastle

Anorthernsoul

• 1 month later...

Ate at Red Mezze for the 2nd time last night... hadn't been back since the 1st time just over a year ago despite loving the place (we don't eat out very often and I like to try new places when we do).

Anyway the gap over over 12 months was a ridiculous error as yet again the food was AMAZING! In fact I remember stating last time that it had been the best grub I'd had in Newcastle, and having been back again I uttered the same words.

We had a Calamares starter to share which was excellent... then I had the mixed grill and the missus had some sort of Fajita type thing. My god it was good! Every type of meat on my plate was BBQ'd to perfection, tender and tasty as hell... also a lovely spicy salsa and rice came with the dish. Didn't try the missus meal as it had mushrooms and creme in it and I don't eat either but she assured me it was superb.

She had 2 glasses of wine and I had 2 beers.

Total price £39

Honestly if you haven't been here then you need to go ASAP. Ask for a table downstairs though as the upstairs bit is too cramped and busy for my liking.

Sachins is canny like, has to be one of the best punjabi kitchens in england.

From the mid-90s through the beginning of 2001 their sauces were inclined to be a little watery,

but recently its taken an upturn for the better and as such the restaurant really is top notch.

The owner, Bob, is also a very pleasant bloke and well done to his crew for raising the standards

to elevated heights.

Try the Chicken Jalfrezi with a Peshwari Naan, its like sex in your mouth :thumbup:

Edited by Lake Bells tits

Ate at Red Mezze for the 2nd time last night... hadn't been back since the 1st time just over a year ago despite loving the place (we don't eat out very often and I like to try new places when we do).

Anyway the gap over over 12 months was a ridiculous error as yet again the food was AMAZING! In fact I remember stating last time that it had been the best grub I'd had in Newcastle, and having been back again I uttered the same words.

We had a Calamares starter to share which was excellent... then I had the mixed grill and the missus had some sort of Fajita type thing. My god it was good! Every type of meat on my plate was BBQ'd to perfection, tender and tasty as hell... also a lovely spicy salsa and rice came with the dish. Didn't try the missus meal as it had mushrooms and creme in it and I don't eat either but she assured me it was superb.

She had 2 glasses of wine and I had 2 beers.

Total price £39

Honestly if you haven't been here then you need to go ASAP. Ask for a table downstairs though as the upstairs bit is too cramped and busy for my liking.

Alex and his lovely +1 took the lass and I there back in 2009 and the place was brilliant.

Great food and cheap.

Alex and his lovely +1 took the lass and I there back in 2009 and the place was brilliant.

Great food and cheap.

The same trip when we went to Strada iirc? Although you were all lucky I didn't give birth that night :D

I live opposite the bilash in cullercoats. Best curry house I've been to.

Really? And you being from South Shields originally too?

I went there once and frankly found it wierd. Like sitting in someone's front room with all the local neighbours wanting to get to know you. They all said 'we never go anywhere else' and I was just thinking 'never again'. Food was ok but nowt special. Shared a carafe of wine which was the worst I have ever tasted outside Greece. I'm increasingly not a fan of curries though I admit. Probably prefer Rasa or Vujon if I'm honest.

Really? And you being from South Shields originally too?

I went there once and frankly found it wierd. Like sitting in someone's front room with all the local neighbours wanting to get to know you. They all said 'we never go anywhere else' and I was just thinking 'never again'. Food was ok but nowt special. Shared a carafe of wine which was the worst I have ever tasted outside Greece. I'm increasingly not a fan of curries though I admit. Probably prefer Rasa or Vujon if I'm honest.

Should have said, I've never eaten in there. It is basically a house, but I've had dozens of carry outs and while the quality is variable, when its good, it's great.

Noosh opposite the old Bar M (tup tup) in the town. Moroccan food always on groupon. Excellent

Fancied trying this place a few times but always ended up plumping for somewhere else. Love a bit of Morrocan food but as I'm off to Marrakech in 5 weeks I'll have to give it a miss as doubt anything wil compare to the food over there.

The same trip when we went to Strada iirc? Although you were all lucky I didn't give birth that night :D

I think that's why I can never remember the name of that restaurant - we were to busy waiting for your water to break ;)

• 2 months later...
Second recent dining experience at the Black Horse, West Boldon and have to say superb again. Currently my second favourite place to Matfen Hall.

Well worth a trip from Newcastle etc.

9/10

;) Tooj knows his stuff.

The one I had was poor, cant remember the name. tbf had most pre meal drinks at the Red Lion (which were good) and had a couple of bottles of merlot with the fantastic grub.

Tesco%20Value%20Bitter.jpg

• 1 month later...

Had another great meal at the Black Horse Boldon last night.

Kediree and battered soft boiled egg starter followed by rump.

All washed down with a very nice merlot.

Service and waiting staff spot on as well.

(Chef gave me the recipe for the kedgeree so I will be giving that a whizz soon. Made with a lovely curry oil).