Fenway Park, in Boston.

Dolly Potter MD

I have an admiration for sporting arenas, across the spectrum, which have defining features. I was channel surfing yesterday and Fenway Park is just a beautiful old stadium, or baseball park to get the labelling correct. In addition it looks typically Boston from the outside as well - as seen in The Town ie. crammed into a downtown/suburban enclave. I think it's the most beautiful stadium in world sport, history & heritage leap out you when you tune into any sort of coverage concerning FP. But alot of these baseball park do have alot of character about them, similar to football grounds. They have their own little quirks, or defining features, which gives them a bit of individuality. Fenway Park's Big Green Monster affects gameplay (or hitting tactics) as well. The Texas Rangers' relatively new stadium is also aesthetically pleasing.

Edited by Year Zero

I have an admiration for sporting arenas, across the spectrum, which have defining features. I was channel surfing yesterday and Fenway Park is just a beautiful old stadium, or baseball park to get the labelling correct. In addition it looks typically Boston from the outside as well - as seen in The Town ie. crammed into a downtown/suburban enclave. I think it's the most beautiful stadium in world sport, history & heritage leap out you when you tune into any sort of coverage concerning FP. But alot of these baseball park do have alot of character about them, similar to football grounds. They have their own little quirks, or defining features, which gives them a bit of individuality. Fenway Park's Big Green Monster affects gameplay (or hitting tactics) as well. The Texas Rangers' relatively new stadium is also aesthetically pleasing.

Wrigley Park in Chicago is another baseball venue with rich history and quirks. They have ivy growing all along the outfield wall and have done for years. Something no other park has. Check it out.

Wrigley Park in Chicago is another baseball venue with rich history and quirks. They have ivy growing all along the outfield wall and have done for years. Something no other park has. Check it out.

Is there a particular ballpark which is considered by neutral devotees (or the average sports watching American) to be 'the home of baseball', in the same way relatable to what Lords is to cricket, and what the old Wembley is to English football. I suppose it would be a close call between FP, WF and the 'old' Yankee Stadium.

Edited by Year Zero

Is there a particular ballpark which is considered by neutral devotees (or the average sports watching American) to be 'the home of baseball', in the same way relatable to what Lords is to cricket, and what the old Wembley is to English football. I suppose it would be a close call between FP, WF and the 'old' Yankee Stadium.

It would have to be one of the original ballparks. The difference between the baseball parks and Wembley/Lords would be the matches that have been played there. Baseball championships are played in a series format (best of seven) that is split between the two teams competing as opposed to the FA Cup final (for example) playing at the home of football. So if there was going to be a park that had "home of baseball" tag to it would have to be one of the old parks that have the team with history. The Red Sox, The Yankees, The Cubs (although they haven't won as much). Parks that have been torn down that would have applied would be Comiskey Park (Chicago White Sox) or the old Yankee stadium.

For the neutral devotee, who was interested in doing a "pilgrimage" of the great parks would definitely put Fenway and Wrigley at the top of the list.

The true Home of Baseball, though, would be Cooperstown NY where the game is said to have been created. That is where the Baseball Hall of Fame and museum are located. But there is no professional team that plays there.

Edited by AmericanMag

Speaking of Baseball, I seen the LA Dodgers hammered some team 15-0. Does that happen often in Baseball?

Aye, that was my home-team Minnesota Twins. It's not all that uncommon, although such a lopsided score is not overly common either. It's helped by the fact that each team plays 162 games a season, though.