Fraser Forster or The Scottish Football Thread.

mls1-CelticFC

I don't think he's that good to be honest Brock.

If we lost a striker and got him for a pittance it's doable but why would Celtic sell him for value?

Wow,wow, wow steady lads to much to reply to at once :D

As much as it pains me to say it Forster isn't the best goalie in the league McGregor is and would easily fit into a mid table epl team, a sunderland etc

About our qualification to the champions league, yes 2 games till group stages but we are in the champions route and we play teams from eastern Europe such as Kaunus and even lindfield from northern Ireland, i think we'd easily dispose of them.

We don't need the money for hooper, we have money and we are willing to spend it. We'd rather keep the best spl striker and build for Europe. And to be honest I don't think we'd let him go for anything under 6.5 million honestly that's how highly he's rated.

I do think hooper could do a job for Newcastle, look at jelavic and he wasn't even the 2nd best striker up here.

Edited by mls1-CelticFC

Celtic are far from guaranteed Champions League football looking at recent history. Is it something like 3 out of the last 4 seasons, the CL groups phase has seen no Scottish representatives. In an ideal world they'll come in the Europa League with us and end up in our group, that would be lovely. Dream group Newcastle, Bilbao, Celtic, and somewhere warm.

As for Forster, a nominal fee would do me, get as much as we can, but he's nee where near Krul's class, we're valuing Krul at £20m, and him at £2m, shows the difference. He's not as agile and his distribution is poor. I see his future somewhere like Birmingham or a Bolton imo. I think if Celtic do lose Hooper to Norwich or Southampton, then Leon Best at that level would do well. He'd be a stick on for top SPL goalscorer, would be nice if they could take Ranger and Williamson too, although Ranger being called Ranger might stop that ever happening.

Well we play Norwich today in the Adam Dufy friendly, you can get an insight into both hooper and Forster as I'm sure they'll feature but it will be full of our youth players.

If we're judging players by friendlies, I saw Forster ship 4 again Layton Orient a few years back. Looked abysmal to me, poor positioning, poor judgement, very little command of his area or his back 4 then, obviously he has improved since but would I keep him over Krul? give over... Having said that I'd rather have him on the bench than Elliott, who likewise has looked toss on the 1 occasion I've seen him play.

If we're judging players by friendlies, I saw Forster ship 4 again Layton Orient a few years back. Looked abysmal to me, poor positioning, poor judgement, very little command of his area or his back 4 then, obviously he has improved since but would I keep him over Krul? give over... Having said that I'd rather have him on the bench than Elliott, who likewise has looked toss on the 1 occasion I've seen him play.

Had a mare against Leeds last summer too iirc

He did, I remember Smoggeordie about 5 years ago (who used to watch the 18s and the Reserves when he lived up here and was my five a side keeper, saying straight faced that he was better than Forster) he might have been exaggerating but not that much. He's probably good enough for the likes of Celtic, but certainly not good enough to be our number 1. The thing I love about Krul is he proper loves Newcastle, I think he'll be like Given, I only hope he's more successful.

He was a rugby player till he was 16. Very little natural technical ability other than being 6'8" and you can tell he's a heavily coached/ manufactured player when you watch him. Krul seems the opposite in that he's not as gifted an athlete but he's a much more gifted goalkeeper.

Christ don't remind me of that game, went to it with a leeds supporting mate, felt fairly confident in getting a result (even though it were a friendly) - first real thing leeds had in the entire game was a wide angle cross/shot spoof that elliot threw into his own damn net - was all downhill from there.

That was the game Barton threw his dummy out about not being allowed ot take set pieces and all if i remember correctly

Well hello fans of Newcastle, I am back! And just one question:

Can we keep Fraser Forster please?! This season he has been unstoppable beating his clean sheet record from last year and was a nominee for player of the season. We adore the big man up here, he is a great keeper. I'm sure we will pull out all the stops to get him.

You can keep him. Krul's an absolute monster and from what I saw of Forster last preseason I wasn't impressed. Mobility of a wardrobe and flaps like fuck whenever the ball comes it above eye level. Good shot stopper, but Krul is by far and away the more complete goalkeeper.

Celtic are far from guaranteed Champions League football looking at recent history. Is it something like 3 out of the last 4 seasons, the CL groups phase has seen no Scottish representatives. In an ideal world they'll come in the Europa League with us and end up in our group, that would be lovely. Dream group Newcastle, Bilbao, Celtic, and somewhere warm.

As for Forster, a nominal fee would do me, get as much as we can, but he's nee where near Krul's class, we're valuing Krul at £20m, and him at £2m, shows the difference. He's not as agile and his distribution is poor. I see his future somewhere like Birmingham or a Bolton imo. I think if Celtic do lose Hooper to Norwich or Southampton, then Leon Best at that level would do well. He'd be a stick on for top SPL goalscorer, would be nice if they could take Ranger and Williamson too, although Ranger being called Ranger might stop that ever happening.

I don't think so mate, rangers in January signed a player called Celik. Hahaha

I never seen the Norwich friendly so can't comment as I had a family emergency. But I'll watch it later. I heard both fans really hit it off though.

Celtic are my local team.

Would you call me glory hunting snd fickle? Been going for years through thick and thin. We aint won the league in 3 year. We know we can fill at least 55,000 each week and a full house against the other lot 60,000. I dont support Celtic on religious grounds. You really have to look at your own team and trophies before you judge us and say your better. Hail hail!

I've only just seen this thread, "We all agree the top 4 have the most fans". Want to think about that one again?

Do you know that Newcastle Utd had done something ten times in our history by the time Celtic managed to achieve for the very first time in 1997? Sunderland had achieved the same thing eight times by 1997. Any ideas?

Despite being a perma-trophy winning club or there or thereabouts throughout most of your history, 1997 was the first time where you ever averaged more than 40,000 in a season. Every club in Britain has gained support since the nineties when football became more popular and NUFC is no exception but I will add that in the not so distant past we've had bigger averages than both the Old Firm when in the 2nd Division whilst you two slugged it out over the Scottish title so don't get too cocky about crowds, mate. Rangers/Celtic are the Scottish equivalent of Man Utd/Liverpool in the fact that you have a much higher proportion of Gloryhunting sad twats with fuck all whatsoever to do with the City of Glasgow/North-West England who walk around their towns wearing a shirt so they can feel superior as a lot of gloryhunters seem to have shit personality traits in my experience.

You may well be a top lad I really don't know but Stevie is cock on saying he's yet to meet a Celtic/Rangers supporter who doesn't feel the need to self glory their clubs support/history.

I am a top lad :D

About the attendances. Celtic never had a stadium capable of that amount till about 1998 when we has our new 60,000 stadium built and yes this season we have had about 52-55,000 to nearly every game and a full house for rangers games.

When I meant top four fans I actually meant top four fans in England not the top four teams.

I'm not a glory hunter, I've supported Celtic since birth and the only in my family to do so as the rest support rangers and have also done since birth, in Scotland most fans follow the team their dads follow and not by choice.

I'm sure Newcastle would glorify in their clubs history if they had won the European cup but we "GLORIFY" in it. In fact today is the anniversary of the day we won it. We glorify it as much as you english do about '66.

Alright, mate?

Can I just say, the only fuckers I know who talk about 1966 are the media when England are about to embark on another campaign and Scottish people. Yours is the only reference to 1966 I've seen on here that I can ever remember. Also Parkhead certainly had a bigger capacity than 22,000 which was your average gate in 1981 and 1982 when you won the title so you can't kid a kidder, mate!

Not saying Celtic aren't a big club with a big support as that would be a foolish statement, however, talking about glorifying in the many trophies you've won in a largely two horse race is like Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks arguing who is the best fighter whilst Muhammad Ali is sitting in the same room. It also avoids some quite frankly shit attendances by both the Old Firm in days gone by when the were winning those shiny metal things that NUFC tends to avoid like a Mackem does to soap.

Again mate, not specifically referring to you, but you have got one of the biggest glory supporting crowds around.

I see that Birminghams's keeper that has yet to have a game for them has been called up to replace Ruddy in goal for England.

Seems strange that a kid who's been playing in the forth tier of English football is called up before the first choice for the Scottish champions!