Fraser Forster or The Scottish Football Thread.

mls1-CelticFC

Jeremiah 5:21

Hello. I'm a Celtic fan posting im peace regarding our loan signing from Newcastle goalkeeper Fraser Forster. At the end of the 09/10 season our best goalkeeper Artur Boruc was transferred to Fiorentina. Celtic fans were sad due to a modern Celtic legend leaving. We had a more than capable replacement as our sub keeper was his fellow Polish man Lukasz Zaluska but there was divided opinion about him and we needed another keeper as a sub. So we hunted and tried to get former magpie Shay Given but it didnt happen sadly. So we looked to Reserve newcastle keeper Fraser Forster who we signed on loan. At first we knew nothing about him and only went on what Sunderland fans were saying on our Forum. We thought he would just be a temporary sub keeper but he became our first keeper with Zaluska dropping to the bench due to a really bad CL and EL qualifying results. So in came the tallest player of Celtics 121 year history at 6'7. We inicially thought he would be a dud due to his height and lack of games for Newcastle instead he turned out to have Celtics best Clean sheet record which has impressed us though we have had one of the best defences too of our history. I know some dont rate the spl here but Fraser having our best clean sheet record must mean something. Regardless anyway he was technically one of Celtics best ever keepers ever. Some fellow Celtic fans may disagree. Forster has also saved us on many occasions and he has great reactions and works great with one on ones. The only downside is that he cant command his box well and never comes out for corners and his penalty stopping could improve. I would like to see him back next season or for a numeber of years. Thank You for such a great player.

in all seriousness - celtic fans are probably the best judge of his ability as newcastle fans wont have seen him play much, if at all.

for me, he seems to be a decent young keeper but not quite as good as krul.

Thanks for the reply but he is a great goalie and dont know why he isnt sub goalie at least. From the Sunderland fans and the followers of the EPL on our forum he is on par or slightly better than Krul from what we've seen from him this season.

Edited by mls1-CelticFC

I'd honestly rather see Krul and Forster slug it out ala Given/Harper, than see us let one of them go for the sake of keeping Harper in goal. He hasn't done anything wrong really but he's hardly been outstanding either. Capello would rather put Fulham's reserve keeper in the squad ahead of him

Thats a bit of an ignorant comment armchair pundit. Can you back that up please with evidence. I personally know its not the best league in the world neither is the EPL :lol:

Edited by mls1-CelticFC

Thats a bit of an ignorant comment armchair pundit. Can you back that up please with evidence. I personally know its not the best league in the world neither is the EPL :lol:

Lol, I really don't need to :icon_lol:

Forster has also saved us on many occasions and he has great reactions and works great with one on ones. The only downside is that he cant command his box well and never comes out for corners and his penalty stopping could improve.

Now, who does that remind me of. :lol:

I think he's a decent shot stopper, but his kicking and distribution is shite. That isn't so much of an issue in the SPL, but in the Barclays Premier League you need to keep the ball even more so or you might not get it back straight away. The last keeper we had who's distribution was so poor was Gary Kelly, he couldnt even reach the half way line.

I'd take the money me, I know Lambert said he'd play for England, but Krul has a good shout to claim the Holland jersey long term. Please sell Harper though ffs.

Edited by McFaul

I think he's a decent shot stopper, but his kicking and distribution is shite. That isn't so much of an issue in the SPL, but in the Barclays Premier League you need to keep the ball even more so or you might not get it back straight away. The last keeper we had who's distribution was so poor was Gary Kelly, he couldnt even reach the half way line.

I'd take the money me, I know Lambert said he'd play for England, but Krul has a good shout to claim the Holland jersey long term. Please sell Harper though ffs.

I don't think Harper would have come flapping at the cross that Alex scored from at Stamford Bridge.

You really think we'd be better off shot of him?

Meh :icon_lol: , hope not. (Apologize if already a topic exist, haven’t seen one, feeling kinda confues right now :lol: )

Celtic bid for Fraser Forster

Celtic have reportedly made a £1.5 million bid to land Fraser Forster on a permanent basis.

The Newcastle United goalkeeper spent last season on loan at Celtic Park, helping the club to a Scottish Cup win and runner's up spot in the league and league cup.

Forster returned to his parent club at the end of the season but Celtic manager Neil Lennon has now made a move to bring him back to Scotland on a long-term basis.

Lennon has been on the hunt for a new number one and appears ready to place his faith in the 23-year old, wh ohad 25 clean sheets in 44 appearances between the sticks last season. The Englishman had been prepared to fight for a first team place at Newcastle United, but may be prepared to return to Celtic and help in Lennon's pursuit of silverware.

Forster had been linked with a recall to Newcastle in the January transfer window as the club had an injury crisis halfway through his loan spell. He said at the time that he was not keen on going back as he wanted to be playing reguar first team football, adding: "Sitting on a bench is not something I want. The only way I will progress in my career is if I am out playing in front of big crowds."

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew said that he did not feel Forster had been tested enough during his time in Glasgow, making derisory comments abuot the standard of the SPL and leaving the player in doubt as to whether he had moved up the pecking order a St James' Park

I don't think Harper would have come flapping at the cross that Alex scored from at Stamford Bridge.

You really think we'd be better off shot of him?

Definitely he's so incredibly slow. Neville Southall was faster at 42 at Bradford.

I loved Southall.

I know Harper isn't as athletic as Krul, but I think he's less likely to cost us points than the young lad.

I disagree there like Barney he cost us a good few Harper imo. All young keepers make mistakes look at Given against Coventry.

I loved Southall.

I know Harper isn't as athletic as Krul, but I think he's less likely to cost us points than the young lad.

I disagree there like Barney he cost us a good few Harper imo. All young keepers make mistakes look at Given against Coventry.

I'll forgive him that one!

I think Harper makes mistakes too. I tink he concedes shots much too close to his body sometimes. One of the ones at home to Spurs comes to mind.

Anyway, I'd prefer to see a keeper dominate his area and come for crosses like Krul does. A huge problem in Given and Harpers game. Lots of keepers in general these days won't come off their line either. I don't know if it's something coaches discourage or whether the keeper is lessening the chance of looking like an idiot.