Fraser Forster or The Scottish Football Thread.

mls1-CelticFC

Attendance pissing contests hurrah. They're meaningless. SPL is shite so no wonder most flock to one of the large sides. The fact that Glasgow has a population probably 2-3 times larger than Newcastle.

That aside of course they are a huge club, propelled by the religion and hatred.

Funny though that despite claiming lack of interest in EPL goings on they keep banging on the door to come in.

I've nowt against Celtic. But I've no interest in them either.

Yous are so up your own arses it's unbelievable, the whole name 4 Celtic/rangers players arguments could also apply here towards Newcastle in Sunderland. Celtic are a big support who do capture supported from out their own city who are as big as fans as we glaswegian fans. Irsoh fans make up a third of our support as we are seen as a Scottish team with Irish heritage. About the EPL up here, it's the same. You only get 2 pages if your lucky of epl news in our newspapers.

No it couldn't. You're telling me people couldn't tell you who the Dutch national team keeper is (well he played last night), or two of France (one of the best 10 NTs in the world) or two of Africa's top strikers, one of whom was probably one of the most talked about strikers in Europe in the last 3 months of the season or Argentinian internationals, or a 7 time capped 20 year old Italian defender who used to play for Inter Milan or one of THE most sort after defensive midfielders in Europe valued at £25m... or..or... people in tents in Vietnam would know who they are.

Edited by McFaul

SJP was barely more than half full for our last appearances in the UEFA Cup group stages.

SJP was barely more than half full for our last appearances in the UEFA Cup group stages.

We were snobby towards the UEFA Cup then, attendances never went below 28-30000 too, playing teams literally nobody had ever heard of like Bnei Sakhnin. European football is the absolute pinnacle of their seasons.

And btw, Celtic averaged a higher attendance than us in the third rate SPL.

Because their ground is bigger, we had 7 or 8 sell outs, some of which we'd have got 60,000+ quite comfortably with the capacity.

Celtic 50,304

Newcastle 49,935

Rangers 46,324

Year before:

Celtic 48,708

Newcastle 47,939

Rangers 45,018

If we had a 60,000 capacity it's quite clear that we'd get more in, you'd get 60,000 for at least 6 or 7 games a season. I'm not even sure why you're sticking up from them, I know they have a large bigoted republican support in Belfast.... Weldy tells me it's the same with Rangers.

Having said everything you have to feel sorry for the likes of Gary Hooper, he said people in England think he's Scottish. That's a damning indictment from their main striker about how pertinent they are in the English psyche in terms of stature and significance. I'm one of the few who would like to see them playing in the English league structure big time.

If you think that Forster is a League One keeper then you're a fucking idiot. He carried his poor pre-season form into the start of the SPL campaign but has come on leaps and bounds since then.

Celtic's attendances have been fantastic, for the SPL. They're a massive club, in the SPL. On the European stage they're minnows but don't take the piss out of any of their fans for wanting to support them.

Wind your neck in calling people idiots. This is CLEARLY a sensitive subject for you. He's an average keeper, maybe not League One but Championship certainly. His albeit brief appearances for us in friendlies and howlers for the Reserves show he's never going to be top quality. His kicking his almost laughable, I seem to remember one of his hopeless kicks cost them a goal at home in a Old Firm game.

If you think that Forster is a League One keeper then you're a fucking idiot. He carried his poor pre-season form into the start of the SPL campaign but has come on leaps and bounds since then.

Of course I don't, I was hyperbole.

I don't think he's anything to care about losing though. He's not as good as Krul, plays for a team, in a league where he's tested 4 times a season, behind the best defence midfield and attack by far in that league (barring maybe rangers, who are likely to be shite for at least 1 year now) its easy to come on leaps and bounds when you have the easiest keeping job in world football most weeks

My old man didnt mind me standing on the Gallowgate from about the age of 12 or 13 but when the odd occasion arose when somebody from our village was going to either Ibrox or Celtic Park he forbid from going anywhere near them. Didnt want my young mind polluted by that filth, and its always good to remind Rangers fans (or inform for the first time) about the days when Ally McCiost couldnt get a game for Sunderland reserves or when no more than 18k wanted to watch either of them. Football is fashionable now, thats why they can attract 50k fans every other week for a 3rd rate standard of football. Theres the best part of half a million more potential supporters in the greater Glasgow area than there is around Tyneside too. Add their national and international profiles and their crowds are shite side of piss poor iyam.

It's also worth noting the Celtic, particularly under Mowbray, have been quite clearly guilty of making up some of their attendance figures. Go back 2 seasons, and a lot of their crowds are suspiciously round numbers (eg 48,000 and the like).

Wind your neck in calling people idiots. This is CLEARLY a sensitive subject for you. He's an average keeper, maybe not League One but Championship certainly. His albeit brief appearances for us in friendlies and howlers for the Reserves show he's never going to be top quality. His kicking his almost laughable, I seem to remember one of his hopeless kicks cost them a goal at home in a Old Firm game.

Kicking! You are actually going on about kicking! His job isn't too kick the ball it's to save shots. Really clutching at straws you are.

Seriously? A Keeper that's terrible at kicking can put your team back under pressure, whereas a one that's good at kicking can help kick start an attack of your own. Quite a big thing in the modern game IYAM.

I think if Forster is to make any real progress he needs to get out of Scotland.

People forget he's 24 years old, he needs to start playing in a proper league. Even the Championship would do more for him.

I think if Forster is to make any real progress he needs to get out of Scotland.

People forget he's 24 years old, he needs to start playing in a proper league. Even the Championship would do more for him.

Agreed, he doesn't get tested as much as a keeper should do because Celtic are that much better than the rest. If Celtic were say in the Championship there'd be at least 12 teams more or less on their level, and he'd have more to do and would improve.

I'd bet Joe Hart had nearly 100 premier league appearances by he was 24 & such is the gulf in class between the leagues I can imagine the experience is priceless.

Tim Krul got 15 clean sheets for us this season - lord knows what he would have got playing for the best team in Scotland. I would say Ruddy is quite far ahead of him at the moment & whilst Forster has played a lot games Ruddy has a championship & premier league season under his belt.

I would say Ruddy is quite far ahead of him at the moment

I'm not really fussed by his past. He probably spent the right amount of time in Scotland if anything.

People say Newcastle fans live in a bubble, and we do to a point on Tyneside, because nothing else in football matters to us, we just don't care about anything else, or who wins the Premiership or anything. The bubble Celtic fans are in, is incredible though. I'm sure if you asked any of them, they'd say their current team would be good enough to come 9th or 10th, I'd agree....in the Championship. A serious honest non-disrespectful question. Go through their squad and be impartial, who is good enough to play in the Barclays Premier League of these:

1 GK Fraser Forster (on loan from Newcastle United)

2 DF Adam Matthews

3 DF Emilio Izaguirre

4 MF Efraín Juárez

5 DF Daniel Majstorović

6 DF Kelvin Wilson

8 MF Scott Brown (captain)

9 FW Georgios Samaras

10 FW Anthony Stokes

11 DF Cha Du-Ri

12 DF Mark Wilson

14 FW Mohamed Bangura

15 MF Kris Commons

16 MF Joe Ledley

17 FW Paweł Brożek (on loan from Trabzonspor)

18 MF Ki Sung-Yueng

19 FW Morten Rasmussen

20 MF Paddy McCourt

No. Position Player

21 DF Charlie Mulgrew

22 DF Glenn Loovens

23 DF Mikael Lustig

24 GK Łukasz Załuska

25 DF Thomas Rogne

32 FW Tony Watt

33 MF Beram Kayal

39 DF Andre Blackman

40 MF Rabiu Ibrahim

44 DF Marcus Fraser

46 MF Dylan McGeouch

47 GK Dominic Cervi

49 FW James Forrest

56 MF Filip Twardzik

58 MF Patrik Twardzik

67 MF Victor Wanyama

88 FW Gary Hooper

If Hooper played in the Premiership, he'd have an England cap by now. A very very good striker. Scott Brown could probably play the hatchet-man role for a lower mid-table team, and Ki would fit in somewhere like Swansea.

Mulgrew is decent aswell. None of them would get in a top half team though.

Not entirely convinced by Mulgrew, I think he's helped by never having to do any real defending at Celtic. I rate Bangura as well, as a future Tiote replacement on a budget.