Fraser Forster or The Scottish Football Thread.

mls1-CelticFC

Not entirely convinced by Mulgrew, I think he's helped by never having to do any real defending at Celtic. I rate Bangura as well, as a future Tiote replacement on a budget.

I'm basing it off maybe 2/3 games against Scottish teams so you could well be right,.

I'm basing it off maybe 2/3 games against Scottish teams so you could well be right,.

I'm studying in Aberdeen atm, and have a season ticket at Pittodrie, so I've seen a fair bit of Mulgrew both at Aberdeen and Celtic. He's very good on the ball, so stands out at Celtic when they're dominating teams, but in a poorer side I think his defensive weaknesses would show up. I reckon that's the reason that he hasn't got much of a look in with their national team. God knows they're not blessed with centre-backs.

I'm studying in Aberdeen atm, and have a season ticket at Pittodrie, so I've seen a fair bit of Mulgrew both at Aberdeen and Celtic. He's very good on the ball, so stands out at Celtic when they're dominating teams, but in a poorer side I think his defensive weaknesses would show up. I reckon that's the reason that he hasn't got much of a look in with their national team. God knows they're not blessed with centre-backs.

Fair play, good to get a more educated opinion.

Wind your neck in calling people idiots. This is CLEARLY a sensitive subject for you. He's an average keeper, maybe not League One but Championship certainly. His albeit brief appearances for us in friendlies and howlers for the Reserves show he's never going to be top quality. His kicking his almost laughable, I seem to remember one of his hopeless kicks cost them a goal at home in a Old Firm game.

All the jocks and jock wannabees caught up in the SPL bigotry etc think that performing well in the Joke League means you are top class Stevie, Fact is, they win their league with 2nd and 3rd division players, and the last Jock players who came down here that were supposedly top class and upheld that were Kenny Dalglish, Alan Hansen and Gordon Strachan. You could make out a case for Charlie NIcholas but he didn't quite perform in the longer term. And THAT is a long long long time ago.

Edited by LeazesMag

Agreed, he doesn't get tested as much as a keeper should do because Celtic are that much better than the rest. If Celtic were say in the Championship there'd be at least 12 teams more or less on their level, and he'd have more to do and would improve.

Conversely, it could be argued that he's learning much more by not being tested so often and having to keep his concentration levels while having nothing to do for such long periods. Something that De Gea admitted he had a problem with when he first joined Man U.

I'm not saying that the SPL is any better than League One but Forster is breaking records up there. The guy was a few bad games off possibly being our first choice keeper. He was in bad form when he was given his chance with us and carried that on into the beginning of the SPL season before turning it around.

Personally, I think it would be a bad move for him to stay with Celtic. He's won all that matters up there. Of course they may get through to the CL group stages this season but I don't fancy their chances. If he wants any sort of recognition in England then he needs to move out of the SPL.

Conversely, it could be argued that he's learning much more by not being tested so often and having to keep his concentration levels while having nothing to do for such long periods. Something that De Gea admitted he had a problem with when he first joined Man U.

I'm not saying that the SPL is any better than League One but Forster is breaking records up there. The guy was a few bad games off possibly being our first choice keeper. He was in bad form when he was given his chance with us and carried that on into the beginning of the SPL season before turning it around.

Personally, I think it would be a bad move for him to stay with Celtic. He's won all that matters up there. Of course they may get through to the CL group stages this season but I don't fancy their chances. If he wants any sort of recognition in England then he needs to move out of the SPL.

He'll not get an England cap imo. He's too clumsy. If he gets the chance though I agree he should progress his career with someone like Leeds, Burnley or Bolton, somewhere that he can get up in to the Premiership with. It wouldn't be so bad in Scotland if Rangers weren't as shite, or Hearts and Aberdeen were capable of mounting a challenge, it really is footballing purgatory but it takes the players a long time to see it because they're swept along by the fans and local media's utter delusion that they're doing something important. Back to Celtic I think the way forward for them has to be banging on the door to get in the English pyramid, or even forming a league with Scandanvian, Dutch and Belgian clubs.

Not quite the same but look at Craig Gordon. Top keeper from the SPL signing for a mediocre premiership side. Said to be the next best thing with the experience he had in the SPL. Came down here and yes had injury problems with them aside, nowt special. Now released on a free.

Not quite the same but look at Craig Gordon. Top keeper from the SPL signing for a mediocre premiership side. Said to be the next best thing with the experience he had in the SPL. Came down here and yes had injury problems with them aside, nowt special. Now released on a free.

Aye. It's because of the media. No other reason. If you buy a paper like the Daily Record, you open it up and there'll be three pages on Motherwell. It's the equivalent of Port Vale commanding three pages in the English press. Their media is feverish, and it aids their self worth when basically the whole structure of Scottish football is on a par with say Norway. Boumsong was a £2m defender, we paid £8m for him, Gordon was a £2m keeper, the mackems paid £9m for him. There's no value in Scottish football. Scotland used to be full of some of the best players in Europe. S******s, D******h, Strachan, Jimmy Johnston, Denis Law, Alan Hansen, they could all have played for any team in the world, now because of society, kids having less interest and a drugs epidemic is Scotland, there's no one coming through. When you look at the players Scotland produced from 1950 to 1980 it's a wonder they never won a World Cup (seriously?), but now oh dear.

Aye. It's because of the media. No other reason. If you buy a paper like the Daily Record, you open it up and there'll be three pages on Motherwell. It's the equivalent of Port Vale commanding three pages in the English press. Their media is feverish, and it aids their self worth when basically the whole structure of Scottish football is on a par with say Norway. Boumsong was a £2m defender, we paid £8m for him, Gordon was a £2m keeper, the mackems paid £9m for him. There's no value in Scottish football. Scotland used to be full of some of the best players in Europe. S******s, D******h, Strachan, Jimmy Johnston, Denis Law, Alan Hansen, they could all have played for any team in the world, now because of society, kids having less interest and a drugs epidemic is Scotland, there's no one coming through. When you look at the players Scotland produced from 1950 to 1980 it's a wonder they never won a World Cup (seriously?), but now oh dear.

:lol:

I wouldnt put it as strongly as that but theres a strong element of truth to what you say. The two best strikers the UK produced in that period are Dennis Law and Kenny Dalglish. Some good judges would tell you best right back is Danny McGrain. Theres good arguments for Hansen and Souness in that time too. As you say, the communities these lads came from have all gone, for various reasons. Sadly, I dont think the Newcastle area will ever have 2 brothers playing in a World Cup final or 3 players playing in a World Cup semi again because the North East is going the same way as Scotland as far as producing players is concerned. Carrick couldnt give a fuck and is bog standard at top level and Johnson is at the wrong club. Wonder if he'd take a pay cut?....and apart from those 2 who is there?....sad times.

I wouldnt put it as strongly as that but theres a strong element of truth to what you say. The two best strikers the UK produced in that period are Dennis Law and Kenny Dalglish. Some good judges would tell you best right back is Danny McGrain. Theres good arguments for Hansen and Souness in that time too. As you say, the communities these lads came from have all gone, for various reasons. Sadly, I dont think the Newcastle area will ever have 2 brothers playing in a World Cup final or 3 players playing in a World Cup semi again because the North East is going the same way as Scotland as far as producing players is concerned. Carrick couldnt give a fuck and is bog standard at top level and Johnson is at the wrong club. Wonder if he'd take a pay cut?....and apart from those 2 who is there?....sad times.

England's number 9 is a geordie.

Ah I agree, and there's not many places on the planet from an area of 1.5m people that have produced as many top class players as Tyneside and its' surrounds. Global names. Absolute world class players like, Bobby Charlton, Shearer, Gazza, Wor Jackie, Beardsley, Waddle, Bryan Robson, Norman Hunter, Len Shackleton....the list is endless. It's at an end now

England's number 9 is a geordie.

Is he likely to be playing in the semi finals this summer?....which sort of proves my point. He's unplayable on his day, but his days have been few and far between lately, mostly because he doesnt get the service at Liverpool and I cant see it being much better next month tbh. Gazza,Pedro and Waddle were from a generation who played off the cuff, todays players need a fuckin road map and a session with a sports psychlogist to find the opposisitoins half sometimes.

He'll not get an England cap imo. He's too clumsy. If he gets the chance though I agree he should progress his career with someone like Leeds, Burnley or Bolton, somewhere that he can get up in to the Premiership with. It wouldn't be so bad in Scotland if Rangers weren't as shite, or Hearts and Aberdeen were capable of mounting a challenge, it really is footballing purgatory but it takes the players a long time to see it because they're swept along by the fans and local media's utter delusion that they're doing something important. Back to Celtic I think the way forward for them has to be banging on the door to get in the English pyramid, or even forming a league with Scandanvian, Dutch and Belgian clubs.

I think the dutch clubs would be absolutely fuming at that. :)

By jings someone has finally got what I came here on to say! Thank you sir.

Edited by mls1-CelticFC

He'll not get an England cap imo. He's too clumsy. If he gets the chance though I agree he should progress his career with someone like Leeds, Burnley or Bolton, somewhere that he can get up in to the Premiership with. It wouldn't be so bad in Scotland if Rangers weren't as shite, or Hearts and Aberdeen were capable of mounting a challenge, it really is footballing purgatory but it takes the players a long time to see it because they're swept along by the fans and local media's utter delusion that they're doing something important . Back to Celtic I think the way forward for them has to be banging on the door to get in the English pyramid, or even forming a league with Scandanvian, Dutch and Belgian clubs.

:lol: brilliant summarisation.

Celtic do have talented players but mulgrew who is class by the way the way his career has changed fantastically.

He has been called up the past 3 games and played the past 2 games for Scotland. He was played by the u21 squad too early in his career when at Aberdeen.

Celtic have national players in their team, just as much as Newcastle do for example:

Luckasz Zaluska (Celtic sub goalie)- Poland

Matthews- Wales

Ledley-Wales

Samaras-Greece

Stokes-Republic of Ireland (Pre trappantoni dispute)

Cha du ri- South Korea

Ki Sung Yueng- south Korea

Biram Kayal- Israel

Thomas rogne-Norway

Morten Rasmussen-denmark

James Forrest- Scotland

Scott brown- Scotland

Kris Commons- Scotland

Emilio Izagyirre- Honduras

Victor wanyama- Kenya

Mikael lustig- Sweden

Dan Majstorovic- Sweden

Darren o'dea- republic of Ireland

Paddy McCourt-northern Ireland

Niall McGinn-northern Ireland

The difference is - your players aren't half as good.

Frankly it's laughable that you're still trying to prove your leagues relevance.

Celtic do have talented players but mulgrew who is class by the way the way his career has changed fantastically.

He has been called up the past 3 games and played the past 2 games for Scotland. He was played by the u21 squad too early in his career when at Aberdeen.

Celtic have national players in their team, just as much as Newcastle do for example:

Matthews- Wales

Ledley-Wales

Samaras-Greece

Cha du ri- South Korea

Biram Kayal- Israel

Thomas rogne-Norway

Morten Rasmussen-denmark

James Forrest- Scotland

Scott brown- Scotland

Kris Commons- Scotland

Victor wanyama- Kenya

Mikael lustig- Sweden

Dan Majstorovic- Sweden

Yeah but howay, those are almost exclusively weak footballing nations. Crewe could sign the entire Burkina Faso squad but it wouldn't mean they're equivalent to Man Utd

I dont think Thomas Rogne has a Norway cap. Barely heard his name ever. Which makes me question if all those other players you listed are nationals either. Did you just list the whole team stating that they are nationals?

I dont think Thomas Rogne has a Norway cap. Barely heard his name ever. Which makes me question if all those other players you listed are nationals either. Did you just list the whole team stating that they are nationals?

He has 1 cap apparently.

Zaluska is actually second choice behind fabianski and got his only cap in 2009

Disgraceful post :lol:

Matthews- Wales

Ledley-Wales

Samaras-Greece

Cha du ri- South Korea

Biram Kayal- Israel

Thomas rogne-Norway

Morten Rasmussen-denmark

James Forrest- Scotland

Scott brown- Scotland

Kris Commons- Scotland

Victor wanyama- Kenya

Mikael lustig- Sweden

Dan Majstorovic- Sweden

:lol: Kenya, Honduras and fucking Scotland. Give it up man, you're shit.

:lol: Kenya, Honduras and fucking Scotland. Give it up man, you're shit.

To be fair, the Kenyan player is a class act. Citing Samaras, O'Dea and Majstorovic as quality international footballers is ridiculous though.