Hughton wants Guthrie

CHRIS HUGHTON is ready to raid old club Newcastle for Danny Guthrie after last night being named Birmingham boss.

Chris Hughton is lining up a £1m bid for Danny Guthrie as he prepares for another promotion challenge in the Championship.

The former Newcastle boss has agreed a 12-month rolling contract and is charged with the task of taking the Blues straight back to the Premier League.

Hughton, 52, wants Guthrie to quit St James’s Park and join his Blues bandwagon. Hughton will be unveiled today and returns to the front-line after his December sacking at Newcastle.

He said: “We are going into an extremely competitive Championship and, with the players set to return for pre-season training soon, I need to get into the job straight away. I’m really relishing it.

“For as long as I’ve been in football the name Birmingham City has been right up there. It is what I regard as a real football club with passionate supporters.”

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm with bob

that comment looks suspiciously like one i've made in the past haha

guthrie gets far too much stick than is justified imo, he needs games to develop though, and he isn't gonna get them here. loan him out to brum

It would be more than wise to let Smith go on a free if someone would match his pay scale or try to get him to accept less by offering an extended contract.

It would be more than wise to let Smith go on a free if someone would match his pay scale or try to get him to accept less by offering an extended contract.

I think he is on a free transfer. The idea of extending his contract is bonkers.

We're only keeping Guthrie because he's on next to nothing for PL wages. I can't see him getting a new deal and with a year left on his contract, £1m would have him signed, sealed and delivered.

Its true, Guthrie is on 5k a week, so its a toss really. But then again, Our midfield is already packed with more to come:

Gosling, Ben arfa, Jonas, Barton, Marveaux, Tiote, Cabaye. Thats 7 players competing for 4 spots... so for the moment, with a few injuries I can see Guthrie as a useful backup on the bench. or if we end up selling Jonas and Barton, however should we sign ANOTHER 1-2 midfielders and keep jonas/barton , he is never gonna get any playtime.

Edited by Saltwater

:lol: Please let this be true. The kid has been shite since day one. He's slow, has no engine or heart and whist he can pick out the odd decent ball, most of his passing is shite. I cringe whenever I see his name on the teamsheet. He's a championship player and only a decent one at that. He may be cheap but there's a reason for that!

The lad needs a new club anyway imo and the Championship is probably his level. I think he's a canny 'footballer' although he isn't 1) athletic enough or 2) has enough in his locker to make up for that to make the grade in the PL. I think he's been messed about a bit here as he's barely played two games in a row in the middle of the park. I noticed in the Championship we looked a different side in the 2nd half of the season when Smith got injured and he took his place. Nolan got a new lease of life on the back of it (there were other factors like Routledge arriving admittedly). Good luck to him and I agree with comments about him getting too much stick.

He looked alright in the Championship because I that's his level, and good luck to him. Got a lot of stick because hughton went through a stage of chucking him right side of midfield that was a complete disaster..ie he constantly had shitters out there. Not good enough for the PL, but he could make an excellent career dropping down a level for someone. If we get some money for him then it's a great deal.

The lad needs a new club anyway imo and the Championship is probably his level. I think he's a canny 'footballer' although he isn't 1) athletic enough or 2) has enough in his locker to make up for that to make the grade in the PL. I think he's been messed about a bit here as he's barely played two games in a row in the middle of the park. I noticed in the Championship we looked a different side in the 2nd half of the season when Smith got injured and he took his place. Nolan got a new lease of life on the back of it (there were other factors like Routledge arriving admittedly). Good luck to him and I agree with comments about him getting too much stick.

I think our improvement in the championship with him in the midle had more to do with us getting him off the wing and Routledge there. Admittedly he did much better at that time though.

I think our improvement in the championship with him in the midle had more to do with us getting him off the wing and Routledge there. Admittedly he did much better at that time though.

Think it was both. Nolan definitely benefitted from having him there instead of Smith.