Hughton wants Guthrie

Copping a harsh wrap on here.

He's certainly not fast and doesn't have a good engine, but he does have an eye for picking out a pass, is generally solid in possession and can smash in the occasional shot.

He shouldn't really be near the first team with the players we have currently assuming they're all fit and settle nicely, though injuries could see him called on occasionally. It's in his best interest to move on though I would say, he's at an age where he should be playing week in week out. That will bring the best out of him - I think there's avenue for improvement. It would be a good move for them I'd say and at that price it's a very good deal IMO. He's about 10 times the player Perch is, yet that waste of space cost a million and is older to boot. Will do good things there if he goes.

He's played 10 games in Europe including the Champions League!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he has never been played in a position that suits him

hughton used him largely on the right, which he doesn't have the discipline to do well (always drifts inside)

pardew used him solely as a replacement for tiote, which he doesn't have the athleticism to do well

still though, our biggest assister in the championship when he got that run of games in the middle. I think it has hurt him this year not having a lovenkrands type to slide through balls in for. In all honesty, lovenkrands and guthrie just didn't fit in with the way we played last year so they more often than not were useless and went missing. You can't chuck 2 players in who want it played along the ground and are at their best when told to stretch teams using width and pace, and then expect them to perform well in a long ball team with half a winger and shola/best struggling to get knockdowns/stay onside.

It would be more than wise to let Smith go on a free if someone would match his pay scale or try to get him to accept less by offering an extended contract.

I think he is on a free transfer. The idea of extending his contract is bonkers.

It would be bonkers for us to offer him an extended contract, but I meant a new club offering him an extended contract on a lesser wage to circumvent his high weekly salary which could be an obstacle to any lesser club signing him.

• 3 months later...
Still a decent squad player if his new contract has wages like their current rate.

Don't really think he's a good squad player. Just think of how much weaker we will be with him in the team in place of Caybaye or Tiote. We would struggle massively with him there against anyone half decent.

I understand that as a backup player he's never going to be as strong as our first choice or he wouldnt be back up but we really should have someone capable of challenging for a place which is something he'll never do.

Still a decent squad player if his new contract has wages like their current rate.

Don't really think he's a good squad player. Just think of how much weaker we will be with him in the team in place of Caybaye or Tiote. We would struggle massively with him there against anyone half decent.

I understand that as a backup player he's never going to be as strong as our first choice or he wouldnt be back up but we really should have someone capable of challenging for a place which is something he'll never do.

In an ideal world yes, but unless you are Man U then quality players wont sit on the bench for an extended period of time.

DANNY GUTHRIE says talk of a new contract at Newcastle United has been put on hold until January – with first-team football the only thing on his mind at the moment

:bunny:

wtf is that?!

In an ideal world yes, but unless you are Man U then quality players wont sit on the bench for an extended period of time.

Obviously I understand that and I'm not expecting us to have players as good as Cabaye or Tiote to bring in but we need someone who won't drop our standard to far and can hopefully improve his game to the point where he can push the two in possession of the first team places. Guthrie will never be able to do that.

Obviously I understand that and I'm not expecting us to have players as good as Cabaye or Tiote to bring in but we need someone who won't drop our standard to far and can hopefully improve his game to the point where he can push the two in possession of the first team places. Guthrie will never be able to do that.

Maybe we'd be better off trying to bring through a player like Abeid or a reserve player, or even a promising kid, rather than someone who's no better than a championship player....

• 4 weeks later...

i don't mind that actually. he's a decent bench warmer. you're not going to get a player who is happy to be 3rd or 4th choice much better than guthrie, or much cheaper. obviously it would be a concern if he was our first choice but he's not going to be playing week in week out and he's shown recently he can do a job on occasion.

i don't mind that actually. he's a decent bench warmer. you're not going to get a player who is happy to be 3rd or 4th choice much better than guthrie, or much cheaper. obviously it would be a concern if he was our first choice but he's not going to be playing week in week out and he's shown recently he can do a job on occasion.

Jumpers for goalposts, isn't it?

Expect his level of performance to drop off now that he doesn't have 7months left on his contract ;)

Thinking that myself... the time against West Brom when he lost the ball and conceded that was the nail in the coffin for me. Unforgivable not to give effort in the black and white shirt!

Exactly.