The Andy Carroll Con

OTF

Alan Pardew: “We have a big club mentality, and will hold on to our best players,” December 21, 2010

When Andy Carroll was sold for 35M in the dying moments of the January transfer window it was a move that was met with a slurry of varied reactions. For the most part there was an initial anger resulting from the sale of our most promising young player. A player who was contracted to the club for another 5 years. A player who many felt we could build the side around. Eventually this anger began to subside, with many consoling themselves with the fact that the club did receive a massive chunk of money for him. A chunk larger than many felt the player was worth. That chunk of cash was only of course going to mean anything to the club if it was consequently reinvested into the strengthening of the team - something that the club and the manager vehemently insisted would be done.

Now, almost 6 months later we've still seen very little of that money be spent. Noone would have accepted the sale of Carroll without the knowledge that the money would be used to strengthen the side ad yet that precisely what appears to be happening before our very eyes. No doubt ensuring that this business was conducted at the close of the window has given Ashley and Llambias the power of time. The initial feelings of anger have dissipated, as feelings do over time, and we've been plied with statements to gradual wear down our resolve over the 35 million. At first the insinuation was that it would all be spent on players, then that it would be spent on players and wages (such a bullshit bit of creative accounting it defies words) and now the 35M figure is not something we ever hear. It is clear from the movements in the market that we will be operating at the bargain basement end of the scale. Granted we've signed what appear to be talented players, but with two of them their value was heavily undermined by their poor injury records - an area where we've been burnt in the past. More worrying we sold our leading goal scorer and team captain to a championship team despite him having half of his 4 year contract left to run. At this precise point in time our outgoings only just exceed our incomings - a fact that defies the 35M we apparently would see spent in the summer.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

Derek Llambias: “And he won’t take a single penny of this £35 million either - all the money will go to the club and we are already working on identifying transfer targets for the summer. We will spend in the summer. Every penny of the £35 million will stay in the club.”

Stay in the club, and be used to strengthen the playing roster are vastly different propositions.

Derek Llambias: “ [On Carroll] Yes, he went in our helicopter. But the sooner the deal was done the sooner we could make our own moves in the transfer market. It was already very late.”

Lucky he went in the chopper lads, or else we'd never have been able to pull off the massive coup of signing Shefki Kuqi!

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the reasons I didn't renew is because I think they're taking the piss. I still intend to go to games but you've really got no power as a fan if you hand your cash over up front imo. Fair play to anyone who has a ST, I don't want to have a go at loyal fans and so on.

Silly argument to be having when we still have over two months of the window to go. Bearing in mind some of the players we are currently in discussions with according to Mark Douglas, we could have many millions yet to spend.

Re the fees and wages bit I suggest you revisit the Ashley transfer thread (not sure why we need another thread) and read some of Chez's points on the difference between losses, breaking even and profit.

I am also quite happy that we get as many frees and bargain basements as possible. Some clubs may have gone out and spent the £30 million (Ben Arfa 5 mill) on 2 players. We've got three already with more to come.

Time to worry about being conned is when the window closes.

Alan Pardew: “We have a big club mentality, and will hold on to our best players,” December 21, 2010

When Andy Carroll was sold for 35M in the dying moments of the January transfer window it was a move that was met with a slurry of varied reactions. For the most part there was an initial anger resulting from the sale of our most promising young player. A player who was contracted to the club for another 5 years. A player who many felt we could build the side around. Eventually this anger began to subside, with many consoling themselves with the fact that the club did receive a massive chunk of money for him. A chunk larger than many felt the player was worth. That chunk of cash was only of course going to mean anything to the club if it was consequently reinvested into the strengthening of the team - something that the club and the manager vehemently insisted would be done.

Now, almost 6 months later we've still seen very little of that money be spent. Noone would have accepted the sale of Carroll without the knowledge that the money would be used to strengthen the side ad yet that precisely what appears to be happening before our very eyes. No doubt ensuring that this business was conducted at the close of the window has given Ashley and Llambias the power of time. The initial feelings of anger have dissipated, as feelings do over time, and we've been plied with statements to gradual wear down our resolve over the 35 million. At first the insinuation was that it would all be spent on players, then that it would be spent on players and wages (such a bullshit bit of creative accounting it defies words) and now the 35M figure is not something we ever hear. It is clear from the movements in the market that we will be operating at the bargain basement end of the scale. Granted we've signed what appear to be talented players, but with two of them their value was heavily undermined by their poor injury records - an area where we've been burnt in the past. More worrying we sold our leading goal scorer and team captain to a championship team despite him having half of his 4 year contract left to run. At this precise point in time our outgoings only just exceed our incomings - a fact that defies the 35M we apparently would see spent in the summer.

Derek Llambias: “And he won’t take a single penny of this £35 million either - all the money will go to the club and we are already working on identifying transfer targets for the summer. We will spend in the summer. Every penny of the £35 million will stay in the club.”

Stay in the club, and be used to strengthen the playing roster are vastly different propositions.

Derek Llambias: “ [On Carroll] Yes, he went in our helicopter. But the sooner the deal was done the sooner we could make our own moves in the transfer market. It was already very late.”

Lucky he went in the chopper lads, or else we'd never have been able to pull off the massive coup of signing Shefki Kuqi!

Like the money received for a new shirt in the club shop, a transfer fee received is just income to the club, it's not creative accounting, why don't some people get this ???

and now the 35M figure is not something we ever hear.

Whilst I don't disagree with your sentiment and suspicions it would be plain daft of them to be talking about spending the Carroll money now. Their talking down could also have been strategic, far better chance of getting bargains if people don't think you are loaded. I know, I recently ran a car boot sale.

I know, I recently ran a car boot sale.

:lol:

And here is how NUFC is now run.

By the way CT, yes we've got 3 new recruits in but including AC we've now shipped 5 out the door of an already under-strength squad.

By the way CT, yes we've got 3 new recruits in but including AC we've now shipped 5 out the door of an already under-strength squad.

Purely for balance we've brought in a 1st choice midfielder and an unknown (probable squad player) and a 2nd choice striker? We've released Campbell and Kuqi, who shouldn't be anywhere near the first team of any Premier League side. We've lost Nolan and Carroll and while I'm not happy about it, I can't judge the window until it's shut.

Still might happen. Doubt it like.

I think the most damning quote to come from the club previously in respect to the Carroll sale that followed is....

The Board and supporters are aware that Newcastle United currently has a footballing academy brimming with talent, skill and dedication. As part of Newcastle United's quest for a team that truly represents the values of the Geordie nation the club will look to promote, where it can, from within and for the academy to become a leading light as one of the best if not the best in the UK.

The days when players such as Alan Shearer, Steve Bruce, Peter Beardsley and Michael Carrick had to leave Newcastle to begin their illustrious football careers elsewhere are over. Newcastle United is more than aware of the great passion for the game of football that exists locally and is intent on ensuring that every great Geordie footballer has the opportunity to play for his home team club.

I suppose Carroll didn't leave to "begin" his career though, so that's alright.

Buying a North East player at their peak isn't desirable. Best sell him to other clubs to reap the rewards of talent on the pitch.

Like the money received for a new shirt in the club shop, a transfer fee received is just income to the club, it's not creative accounting, why don't some people get this ???

..and what about the loss of our leading scorer and most promising local player in some time? Completely different to selling a shirt. You surely must concede that. Andy Carroll is an asset to the club, one that would have helped to maintain premiership status, helped to sell those same shirts you talk about, would have sold the dream to the local youth coming through, kept fans entertained and attending matches, no doubt kept the tabloids going etc etc.

We've been conned into thinking the sale of Carroll was too good to turn down because that money could easily be used to improve our squad. I'd stake my membership here on it.

..and what about the loss of our leading scorer and most promising local player in some time? Completely different to selling a shirt. You surely must concede that. Andy Carroll is an asset to the club, one that would have helped to maintain premiership status, helped to sell MORE of those same shirts you talk about, would have sold the dream to the local youth coming through, kept fans entertained and attending matches, no doubt kept the tabloids going etc etc.

FYP

I wish they'd fuck off with the rhetoric, some people are daft enough to buy into it.

Absolutely. Much worse than being a cunt is being a cunt whilst pretending to be a saint.

I wish they'd fuck off with the rhetoric, some people are daft enough to buy into it.

Who could you possibly mean?

You including Kuqi and fat Sol in that??

How much did they play?

does anyone else hate it when people add carroll into transfer dealings but ignore ben arfa? (both deals happened in january) kuqi shouldn;t be included as an "outgoing" either, as he was signed and released in the same period so cancels himself out.

this sort of view/response may be acceptable on a message board like skunkers, but you are increasingly becoming a more ludicrous figure on somewhere with more intelligent posters, which will only increase. September 1st is coming ...

Edit.

I see Paully and Lion of Gosforth are waking up to what is really happening ....

Edited by LeazesMag

You including Kuqi and fat Sol in that??

How much did they play?

Enough that without them, Sol in particular, we would have been in trouble for a few games.

It's a squad game, you can't survive with just the bare minimum.

does anyone else hate it when people add carroll into transfer dealings but ignore ben arfa? (both deals happened in january) kuqi shouldn;t be included as an "outgoing" either, as he was signed and released in the same period so cancels himself out.

Of course Kuqi should be included, for reasons of both wages off the books and squad players available.

No because the fee was agreed upon as part of the loan deal.

The fee was agreed on the basis of him making 25 appearances. Meaning we could wait until additional TV revenue had increased our income.

I hope Oztoon's sexual performances arent as premature as this thread.

The fee was agreed on the basis of him making 25 appearances. Meaning we could wait until additional TV revenue had increased our income.

you think 4 years is premature :lol:

..and what about the loss of our leading scorer and most promising local player in some time? Completely different to selling a shirt. You surely must concede that. Andy Carroll is an asset to the club, one that would have helped to maintain premiership status, helped to sell those same shirts you talk about, would have sold the dream to the local youth coming through, kept fans entertained and attending matches, no doubt kept the tabloids going etc etc.

We've been conned into thinking the sale of Carroll was too good to turn down because that money could easily be used to improve our squad. I'd stake my membership here on it.

It is only different in terms of magnitude otherwise it is exactly the same. A club asset was sold for a price.

The club now has money, this summer it should use that money, I've said that all along.

The sale of Carroll (at that price) was absolutely too good to turn down. We wait to see if that good is undone (or not).

you think 4 years is premature :lol: