The day I met Sir Bobby

Christmas Tree

Listened to this on BBC 5 Live this morning and it was excellent.

Like me, it will probably give you watery eyes but so what.

Lots of interview with People who met the man be it famous people, cancer patients or just chance meeting.

Its on Iplayer here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bigscreen/rad...pisode/b012403m

A lad I used to play football who teld a tale of getting Bobby's autobiography signed by the man himself some years ago. He queued for ages and as Bobby was signing it he asked if there been many more that day. 'Hundreds lad, hundreds' he replied.

Mate goes home and, chuffed to bits, gets the book out his back to show his dad.

Opens the book to read "To Dave, Best wishes, Bobby Hundreds"

Ace, eh?

I met him twice at croft park. An absolute golden geeza!

He did however proper snap at this one kid who wanted him to sign a bit of chip paper! It was in blyth like.

Talkin of meetin people...i stood talkin to beardsley outside the travel agents next to my dads studio....really nice guy. Remembered me from the masters.

was great wasnt it ;)

hearing him speaking at cancer foundstion about Bliss and the guys wife's tribute set me away .

another one on the great man tomorrow on 5live tomorrow night too.

Aye that was the exact bit for me as well.

A lad I used to play football who teld a tale of getting Bobby's autobiography signed by the man himself some years ago. He queued for ages and as Bobby was signing it he asked if there been many more that day. 'Hundreds lad, hundreds' he replied.

Mate goes home and, chuffed to bits, gets the book out his back to show his dad.

Opens the book to read "To Dave, Best wishes, Bobby Hundreds"

Ace, eh?

;) great man

I may have mentioned this before, but I once saw and had an opportunity to meet Bobby Robson, and I took it.

I was back in England for 2 months in 2004 and had gone to St. James with a mate who was going there because they were conducting a free blood-pressure check in the restaurant that afternoon. It was a Wednesday and there was a home game that evening.

As we were leaving and heading towards the main gate, a car pulled in and parked across from the shop. Bobby got out with some clothes on a hanger and started to cross over. I said to my mate that I was going to speak to him and my mate said you can't do that, but I did.

I used my middle name as an opening by saying,"Excuse me Mr. Robson, my middle name is Robson but I don't think there is any family connection".

He smiled and asked me where I was from. I guess my Geordie accent had been tempered somewhat by my years in California.

I told him originally from Gateshead but now living in California.

He put his hand out for me to shake, and said he had been to California and loved the sunshine.

He then asked me if I was going to the match that evening and I said yes I am.

He asked me if I had tickets and I said I had.

He then said cheerio and went into the building.

I've often wondered if I had said NO when he asked me if I had tickets, if he would have fixed that.

Sadly it was the following Monday that he was sacked.

There's a place in my heart for Bobby Robson, always will be.

I may have mentioned this before, but I once saw and had an opportunity to meet Bobby Robson, and I took it.

I was back in England for 2 months in 2004 and had gone to St. James with a mate who was going there because they were conducting a free blood-pressure check in the restaurant that afternoon. It was a Wednesday and there was a home game that evening.

As we were leaving and heading towards the main gate, a car pulled in and parked across from the shop. Bobby got out with some clothes on a hanger and started to cross over. I said to my mate that I was going to speak to him and my mate said you can't do that, but I did.

I used my middle name as an opening by saying,"Excuse me Mr. Robson, my middle name is Robson but I don't think there is any family connection".

He smiled and asked me where I was from. I guess my Geordie accent had been tempered somewhat by my years in California.

I told him originally from Gateshead but now living in California.

He put his hand out for me to shake, and said he had been to California and loved the sunshine.

He then asked me if I was going to the match that evening and I said yes I am.

He asked me if I had tickets and I said I had.

He then said cheerio and went into the building.

I've often wondered if I had said NO when he asked me if I had tickets, if he would have fixed that.

Sadly it was the following Monday that he was sacked.

There's a place in my heart for Bobby Robson, always will be.

closest i got was after an amazing day of fortune, as fleeting as it was, its really a moment that has the gift of keeping giving.

luckily got a freebie through work for directors box at Leicester home (guppy at leicester by then) which included players' lounge after match. tiny room with buffet . leaving ground after being awestruck with bellamy then shearer coming into same space and their body language pretty telling , left the Milburn to carpark totally buzzing.

going by old ticket office protest steps happened to see Bobby flitting between a fire escape door towards players entrance. involuntarily legged over to get ticket from the day signed. he duly obliged and as he was signing i excitedly blurted 'canishakeyourhandbobby' but by then half dozen folk had appeared out of nowhere for autographs and he moved on to signing for them despite appearing hurried before i'd stopped him

. . i was 2 seconds late for that handshake, but i still love you bobby !

I seen him at the cash point in the village he was born in, in County Durham. I was off School ill and my nanna took me to the Doctors.

We both spotted him and I tried to run over but she said he probably gets it everyday so leave him be. So I did - I was only 14 at the time so obviously the moral guidelines were taken and understood.

I'm still not sure how I feel about that day. He was obviously in fine health he walked away into to his BMW 7 series (silver) and drove off.

was standing between Circus Circus and Attic in town talking to a mate one lunchtime at work and happened t look behind me to see his private reg Roller pulling up behind me. Lady Elsie was driving and Me Man was in passenger seat right next to kerb , on his mobile but noticed us looking with jaws on the deck and he winked as lights changed and drove off .

i think if id actually have met him properly and had chance of asking a question id probably have been totally dumbstruck .