Wimbledon

LeazesMag

It's not, I very rarely watch tennis. If I was a tennis fan and paid money to see him it would bother me though. Part of being a pro sportsman in todays age is the media aspect. The interviews, the paparazzi, the autographs.

If Pardew went on like Dalglish does in interviews we would all have something to say about it. How is this different?

Why is that the case?...to keep the majority of the useless bastards in a job they do tend to bandy that around themsleves. We want sports coverage, thats for sure. But the media have made increasing demands on atheletes/sportspeople over the years and then complain when some of them get a bit arsey.

Dalglish treated the press like shite when he was manager here. I thought it was funny tbh. We all form our strongest opinions about managers as a result of what happens on the pitch, not in the press conference after wards. Well I do anyway. Dalglish was crap on and off the pitch. Taking a side from 2nd to 14th then starting the next season poorly got him the sack, not whether he was nice to the press.

Edited by PaddockLad

Part of being a sportsman today IS the media training, but how fucking boring are they all. Dull dull dull for the most part. If it really matters to you that he smiles and performs well in an interview, you're a bit weird tbh.

Cheers for the chomp on the cycling comment btw wykikitoon. :razz: I do think that sport is riddled with it though tbf.

Part of being a sportsman today IS the media training, but how fucking boring are they all. Dull dull dull for the most part. If it really matters to you that he smiles and performs well in an interview, you're a bit weird tbh.

Cheers for the chomp on the cycling comment btw wykikitoon. :razz: I do think that sport is riddled with it though tbf.

:lol: I agree, yet cycling gets so much bad publicity for it because in reality, they are the only sport who try and catch the fuckers. Cycling has evolved dope testing. Cycling was the first sport to do blood testing and biological passports, cycling was the first sport to do urine testing.

Wiggins had a go at a junro yesterday at the Tour, I am suprised thats not hit the press yet.

he was beaten by a player who has been one of the best champions ever, if not the best. No disgrace. He's got to dust himself down and keep going. Anybody who wants to win these tournaments has to beat Federer, Nadal and Djokoivic though.

he is a dour jock but he's a fucking brilliant tennis player, just a whisker away from greatness. shame, as he may well struggle to get the slam he would have got if he'd played in a different era.

murray looked the better player in the second set, had his opportunities to go a break up then two sets up - could have been a different game. but then federer plays those two outrageous drop shots to win the set. i don't think murray ever recovered the psychological momentum again after that. and he just didn't look the same player once the roof went over.

shame. i felt for the lad. you can see how much it means to him in the post match interview, despite him not giving anything away in the normal interviews. like others have said - no disgrace in losing to federer, the best of all time.

Edited by Dr Gloom

he is a dour jock but he's a fucking brilliant tennis player, just a whisker away from greatness. shame, as he may well struggle to get the slam he would have got if he'd played in a different era.

murray looked the better player in the second set, had his opportunities to go a break up then two sets up - could have been a different game. but then federer plays those two outrageous drop shots to win the set. i don't think murray ever recovered the psychological momentum again after that. and he just didn't look the same player once the roof went over.

shame. i felt for the lad. you can see how much it means to him in the post match interview, despite him not giving anything away in the normal interviews. like others have said - no disgrace in losing to federer, the best of all time.

I agree with that, he had chances in the 2nd set to go 2-0 up and it could have been totally different. Such things are often decided on knife edge moments that seperate the truly great players from the rest, in all sports.

It's not, I very rarely watch tennis. If I was a tennis fan and paid money to see him it would bother me though. Part of being a pro sportsman in todays age is the media aspect. The interviews, the paparazzi, the autographs.

Murray paid tribute to the fans at Wimbledon and their wonderful support whilst barely holding back tears at the end. Anything prior to that and he'd probably be criticised for taking his eye off the ball before the job was done. He's looked incredibly focussed during this tournament so maybe the lack of emotion was all part of that.

Your vicariously being annoyed for all the fans on Centre Court yesterday is a bit weird anyway. Plus, I doubt you'd find anyone who didn't

1) Appreciate being there and seeing history (not to mention an unbelievable display by Federer) - even if they were Murray fans

2) Think Murray played well and gave it his best shot

Did you know that Nadal has the same doctor as Lance Armstrong, Ivano Basso and countless other dopers of cycling? Did you know that doctor Michele Ferrari is due to appear in court and if convicted Nadal could well go down too? Apparently its one reason why he was "beaten" at this years Wimbledon?

Your comment re cycling is one of ignorance in a way Gemmill and typical of someone who doesnt know the sport. Simialr to my attitude of Tennis I suppose.

There was one of the Bracelona players last year on an illegal steriod, what happend to him? Nothing, why? Because its football and corrupt, that player was Xavi. Messi, was on growth hormone for several years after he turned pro, another illegal drug in football. LOADS Of other sports, mostly football and rugby use doping yet they sweep it under the carpet.

Its true that cycling gets a bad wrap compared to other sports but the UCI is as corrupt as shit and they don't really deserve much credit. The passport system is useless and when you see things like stage 7 the other day you realise quickly that not much has changed.

I never knew Nadal was a Ferrari client. I thought he was involved in the Puerto case, same with the Barca squad, but never realised he was using Ferrari. When did Nadal stop working with Ferrari?

Guest CabayeAye

TBF, cycling is fucking riddled with doping. I'd be more surprised if it turned out a pro-roadie was clean.

TBF, cycling is fucking riddled with doping. I'd be more surprised if it turned out a pro-roadie was clean.

But what is your opinion worth? You know fuck all about football and you actually follow it.

But what is your opinion worth? You know fuck all about football and you actually follow it.

:lol:

Ka..3705178_o.gif

Its true that cycling gets a bad wrap compared to other sports but the UCI is as corrupt as shit and they don't really deserve much credit. The passport system is useless and when you see things like stage 7 the other day you realise quickly that not much has changed.

I never knew Nadal was a Ferrari client. I thought he was involved in the Puerto case, same with the Barca squad, but never realised he was using Ferrari. When did Nadal stop working with Ferrari?

From what I have read he stopped working with him a couple of years ago, would be very interesting if he was involved in it all. Maybe it will get some people realising the cycling isnt the only sport with dopers.

From what I have read he stopped working with him a couple of years ago, would be very interesting if he was involved in it all. Maybe it will get some people realising the cycling isnt the only sport with dopers.

Yeah. Exactly. There has always been rumours about Nadal but if he's tied with Ferrari he could face some really difficult questions. Or would do if other sports really cared that much about it. I don't want to get to carried away though PEDs don't help competitors as much in ball sports like they do in endurance sport. You can take all the PEDs you like you still need the technical ability to be good at football or tennis etc.

There is a doco airing here in a few days about the Carl Lewis/Ben Johnson doping scandal. Should be a good watch.

Yeah. Exactly. There has always been rumours about Nadal but if he's tied with Ferrari he could face some really difficult questions. Or would do if other sports really cared that much about it. I don't want to get to carried away though PEDs don't help competitors as much in ball sports like they do in endurance sport. You can take all the PEDs you like you still need the technical ability to be good at football or tennis etc.

There is a doco airing here in a few days about the Carl Lewis/Ben Johnson doping scandal. Should be a good watch.

Oh aye. A footballer can stand around and do fuck all and get away with it. Do that in cycling, marthons, tri you/re fucked. There is no doubt in the 90's cycling was riddled with it. They have tried so hard to clean it up.

The situatiuon with Armstrong now I am just undecided. I am not sure, do we leave him and put it down to the sport being riddled with dopers, or do we continue persuing him? It seems all one sided. I am just tired and bored with it tbh.

It makes me laugh. We had two riders finish the stage with broken ribs & punctured lungs, yet these faggot footballers roll around as if they are hurt, its so fucking annoying.

Oh aye. A footballer can stand around and do fuck all and get away with it. Do that in cycling, marthons, tri you/re fucked. There is no doubt in the 90's cycling was riddled with it. They have tried so hard to clean it up.

The situatiuon with Armstrong now I am just undecided. I am not sure, do we leave him and put it down to the sport being riddled with dopers, or do we continue persuing him? It seems all one sided. I am just tired and bored with it tbh.

I hope Armstrong goes down tbh. Its the big fish and it would be a start towards really cleaning the sport up. It has got a bit stale though. But thats the courts dragging it out more than anything.

It makes me laugh. We had two riders finish the stage with broken ribs & punctured lungs, yet these faggot footballers roll around as if they are hurt, its so fucking annoying.

Careful. :) It's true. But careful.

People complain that Murray is a boring person and that he should show more 'personality'. We've seen Charlie Brooker's retort. Whether Murray is boring or not is up to him, and given that he's spent the majority of his life running around tennis courts, brought up by a tennis-obsessed mother glaring ahead, stony-faced, as he whacks a ball around, it is no surprise that he is an unbelievably boring bastard--even the misery of growing up in a deprived area of Scotland does not produce people as gloomy as this unparallelled lugubrious dullard.

As for tennis itself; it's a fun game, but the elitism and snobbery involved, particularly at Wimbledon, is bloody irritating to witness: the whimpering crowds; the 'Royal box', full of cunty, upper-class social climbers of the Middleton strain; 'Dave' and his reptilian mother gurning away while their butler performs a dual enema; not to mention the commentary--the entire fucking thing is enough to make you sick. I'm just glad that the guy who is better at tennis, even though he's a bit of a knobhead, won. It's the one bit of justice in the whole debacle.

As someone who doesn't really follow cycling but with a general interest in sport, to me Lance Armstrong is an example of outstanding athleticism, stamina and endurance. If his extraordinary physical achievements were false and all down to magic beans then the world needs to know.

Wasnt every finalist in the 1988 Olympic 100m done for doping at one point in their career or other....it came out that Carl Lewis failed a dope test 2 or 3 times in the lead up to the games, it only came out a couple of years back. Linford was caught after he retired. No wonder Dwayne Chambers was tempted. Only way to compete. But cheating like that kept another clean athlete out of the squad so he shouldnt be anywhere near the present squad. 10.25 this season. Joke.

People complain that Murray is a boring person and that he should show more 'personality'. We've seen Charlie Brooker's retort. Whether Murray is boring or not is up to him, and given that he's spent the majority of his life running around tennis courts, brought up by a tennis-obsessed mother glaring ahead, stony-faced, as he whacks a ball around, it is no surprise that he is an unbelievably boring bastard--even the misery of growing up in a deprived area of Scotland does not produce people as gloomy as this unparallelled lugubrious dullard.

As for tennis itself; it's a fun game, but the elitism and snobbery involved, particularly at Wimbledon, is bloody irritating to witness: the whimpering crowds; the 'Royal box', full of cunty, upper-class social climbers of the Middleton strain; 'Dave' and his reptilian mother gurning away while their butler performs a dual enema; not to mention the commentary--the entire fucking thing is enough to make you sick. I'm just glad that the guy who is better at tennis, even though he's a bit of a knobhead, won. It's the one bit of justice in the whole debacle.

Seeing Cameron and Salmond there was great © like. Btw, that's the same Cameron who's a member of the MCC despite knowing so much about cricket he though Paul Collingwood's name was Colin Wood when the T20 World Cup squad went round to 'number 10'.