Wimbledon

LeazesMag

As someone who doesn't really follow cycling but with a general interest in sport, to me Lance Armstrong is an example of outstanding athleticism, stamina and endurance. If his extraordinary physical achievements were false and all down to magic beans then the world needs to know.

The thing with Lance though, its not just cycling. The amount of money has has raised for Cancer research, awreness etc is massive.

Anyway, that debate is for another thread.

Seeing Cameron and Salmond there was great © like. Btw, that's the same Cameron who's a member of the MCC despite knowing so much about cricket he though Paul Collingwood's name was Colin Wood when the T20 World Cup squad went round to 'number 10'.

Haha is that true? What a fucking cunt.

There is a doco airing here in a few days about the Carl Lewis/Ben Johnson doping scandal. Should be a good watch.

Wasnt every finalist in the 1988 Olympic 100m done for doping at one point in their career or other....it came out that Carl Lewis failed a dope test 2 or 3 times in the lead up to the games, it only came out a couple of years back. Linford was caught after he retired. No wonder Dwayne Chambers was tempted. Only way to compete. But cheating like that kept another clean athlete out of the squad so he shouldnt be anywhere near the present squad. 10.25 this season. Joke.

Yeah I've heard about Carl Lewis failing a drugs test and being allowed to get a backdated doctor's certificate for corticoids.

That's the crux of it. Drug cheats cheat the public but more importantly they cheat their fellow competitors. Sport is something that should represent the best of us, not the worst. Drug cheats should be kicked from pillar to post imo.

As someone who doesn't really follow cycling but with a general interest in sport, to me Lance Armstrong is an example of outstanding athleticism, stamina and endurance. If his extraordinary physical achievements were false and all down to magic beans then the world needs to know.

He is a drug cheat. There is no doubt. He has failed numerous drug tests. '99 Tdf being the main one. He tested positive for EPO after an Australian scientist who invented a urine test for the drug in 2000 for the Sydney Olympics tested some random samples from the '99 tour to see if his test could turn up a positive for EPO. It did and a French journalist found out that those urine samples belonged to LA.

The scientist's name is Michael Ashenden and he has Armstrong dead to rights. This info has been pretty well public knowledge amongst cycling fans for about 10 years.

Edit: Don't mean to be long winded. It's something I have followed for a long time.

Edited by toonotl

The thing with Lance though, its not just cycling. The amount of money has has raised for Cancer research, awreness etc is massive.

Anyway, that debate is for another thread.

And what have the cancer researchers come up with? Nothing. When Norman Mailer ran for Mayor of New York, he proposed a law that if cancer researchers failed to make any progress within a two-year period they should either quit or fight to the death.

And what have the cancer researchers come up with? Nothing. When Norman Mailer ran for Mayor of New York, he proposed a law that if cancer researchers failed to make any progress within a two-year period they should either quit or fight to the death.

What about the support to the cancer sufferes? The groups that his charity hold etc?

This doesnt allow him to be a doper dont get me wrong like. What has been said though about going for the big fish is important. It wasnt just the doping of Armstrong its the overall picture, the pushing of drugs, the cover up, the whole bull shit of the 'omerta' with his group. People if they asked the wrong question got their photograph taken and passed around to his helpers and if they were seen close to him, told to leave etc.

Fight to the death against the disease or each other? ;)

What about the support to the cancer sufferes? The groups that his charity hold etc?

I was just using it as an excuse to bring up the Norman Mailer proposal, it's a favourite of mine.

Was Hitchens a pal of Norman Mailer's like?

He did a nice obit for Norm when he snuffed it. Don't think they were drinking buddies. Been meaning to read Armies of the Night for a while, have you read it?

I was just using it as an excuse to bring up the Norman Mailer proposal, it's a favourite of mine.

He did a nice obit for Norm when he snuffed it. Don't think they were drinking buddies. Been meaning to read Armies of the Night for a while, have you read it?

I've only read The Naked and the Dead and The Fight by him. Worth reading because they're excellent and because Parky hates Norman Mailer (I'm assuming he hasn't read any of his stuff though).

I read the Naked and the Dead a while ago, really enjoyed it. Wanted that bloke leading them up the mountain to die a grisly death. I read a book, conversations about God with Norman Mailer, where he lays out his theories on god etc. I found him an entertaining and funny guy. For all the bad things he did, like getting the prisoner released who went on to murder someone, he did some good stuff like winding up Germaine Greer and loads of prominent feminists single-handedly.

I read the Naked and the Dead a while ago, really enjoyed it. Wanted that bloke leading them up the mountain to die a grisly death. I read a book, conversations about God with Norman Mailer, where he lays out his theories on god etc. I found him an entertaining and funny guy. For all the bad things he did, like getting the prisoner released who went on to murder someone, he did some good stuff like winding up Germaine Greer and loads of prominent feminists single-handedly.

Aye, he was an entertaining wanker. Much like yourself. You can take that as a compliment btw.

I've got An American Dream at home which I keep meaning to read.

Wh does Parky hate Mailer?

He told me he did. He didn't really back it up (beyond the usual 'macho' criticisms) which led me to conclude he hadn't read any. 'Macho' writers can be great anyway.

He was a dedicated heterosexual though, unlike fop. His wife, who had been a model, discovered he had had dozens of affairs--many with women who were obese or OAPs, sometimes both. When asked why he slept with these women, Mailer said, "sometimes I like to be the pretty one."

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

He was a dedicated heterosexual though, unlike fop. His wife, who had been a model, discovered he had had dozens of affairs--many with women who were obese or OAPs, sometimes both. When asked why he slept with these women, Mailer said, "sometimes I like to be the pretty one."

My standard response in that situation is 'sometimes you just fancy a kebab'. I prefer my retort tbh.

People complain that Murray is a boring person and that he should show more 'personality'. We've seen Charlie Brooker's retort. Whether Murray is boring or not is up to him, and given that he's spent the majority of his life running around tennis courts, brought up by a tennis-obsessed mother glaring ahead, stony-faced, as he whacks a ball around, it is no surprise that he is an unbelievably boring bastard--even the misery of growing up in a deprived area of Scotland does not produce people as gloomy as this unparallelled lugubrious dullard.

As for tennis itself; it's a fun game, but the elitism and snobbery involved, particularly at Wimbledon, is bloody irritating to witness: the whimpering crowds; the 'Royal box', full of cunty, upper-class social climbers of the Middleton strain; 'Dave' and his reptilian mother gurning away while their butler performs a dual enema; not to mention the commentary--the entire fucking thing is enough to make you sick. I'm just glad that the guy who is better at tennis, even though he's a bit of a knobhead, won. It's the one bit of justice in the whole debacle.

to be fair, Pippa is quite nice though.