Wimbledon

LeazesMag

Bit harsh that on Federer from you lot, he's been a class professional throughout his career. Although personally I'd rather Nadal or Djokovic won stuff than him :P

Wonderful to see him lose today, mainly because of the crowd acting like pricks.

I think Tom means "British". As in white and western European. Iberia is a grey area. France too, although, they are mighty fancy. The crowd is snooty and racist, all right?!

I hate the crowd like - particularly for the favoritism 'British' players get.

Oh and they're all torys.

I have a thing against people who cant see any tennis past Federer. Its nauseating. He's great and everything but come on. Some of them are a bit like a starry eyed 10 year old girl who refuses to acknowledge any other form of music because Taylor Swift is simply the best.

"So Djokovic won the final"

"Federer's the best ever"

"So who's gonna win the US Open?"

"John Lennon was a legend"

"But Federer's the best ever"

"Global warming is getting pretty intense"

"There's a bigfoot in the attic"

:suicide:

• 3 years later...

Can someone who understands tennis better than I explain how exactly Serena Williams wasn't acting like a total bellend the other day to get all these people apparently on her side after this US open shit?

Her coach admitted he was coaching from the sidelines, which was the cause of the initial meltdown. She then smashed her racquet which is another automatic violation. Criticism of her seems to be along gender & race lines. The world is just a tiny bit madder than it was before Saturday. Which is, obviously, batshit crazy. 

4 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Her coach admitted he was coaching from the sidelines, which was the cause of the initial meltdown. She then smashed her racquet which is another automatic violation. Criticism of her seems to be along gender & race lines. The world is just a tiny bit madder than it was before Saturday. Which is, obviously, batshit crazy. 

FULL TRANSCRIPT OF SERENA'S SENSATIONAL OUTBURST 

After being penalised for throwing her racket early in the second set:

'This is unbelievable. Every team I play here I have problems.

'I didn't get coaching, I didn't get coaching. I didn't get coaching. You need to make an announcement that I didn't get coaching. I don't cheat, I didn't get coaching. How can you say that?

'You owe me an apology. You owe me an apology. I have never cheated in my life. I have a daughter and I stand for what is right for her and I've never cheated. You owe me an apology. 

After being broken to trail 4-3 in the second set:

'I never got coaching. I explained that to you and for you to attack my character then something is wrong. You're attacking my character. Yes you are. You owe me an apology.

'You will never, ever, ever be on another court of mine as long as you live. You are the liar. When are you going to give me my apology? You owe me an apology.

'Say it, say you're sorry. Then don't talk to me, don't talk to me. How dare you insinuate I was cheating? You stole a point from me. You're a thief too.'

After being docked a game:

'Are you kidding me? Are you kidding me? Because I said you were a thief? You stole a point from me. I'm not a cheater. I told you to apologise to me. Excuse me I need the referee, I don't agree with that.'

With tournament referees:

'This is not right... [INAUDIBLE]... He said I was being coached but I was not being coached. That's not right. You know me. You know my character. This is not fair. This has happened to me too many times. This is not fair. To lose a game for saying that is not fair. Do you know how many men do things that are much worse than that? This is not fair.

'There are a lot of men out here that have said a lot of things and because they are a man it doesn't matter. This is unbelievable. No I don't know the risk because if I say a simple thing, a thief, because he stole a point from me.

'There are men out here that do a lot worse and because I'm a woman you're going to take this away from me. That is not right. And you know it and I know you can't admit it, but I know you know that is not right. I know you can't change it but I'm just saying that is not right.

'I get the rules but I'm just saying it's not right. It happens to me at this tournament every single year and it's not fair. That's all I have to say.'

Post-match press conference: 

'I can't sit here and say I wouldn't say he's a thief, because I thought he took a game from me.

'But I've seen other men call other umpires several things. I'm here fighting for women's rights and for women's equality and for all kinds of stuff. For me to say 'thief' and for him to take a game, it made me feel like it was a sexist remark. He's never taken a game from a man because they said "thief". It blows my mind.

'I just feel like the fact that I have to go through this is just an example for the next person that has emotions, and that wants to express themselves, and wants to be a strong woman.

'They're going to be allowed to do that because of today. Maybe it didn't work out for me, but it's going to work out for the next person.'

Full transcript, her ego is astonishing. Its her court apparently, it happens to her every year but that doesn't cause her to consider that she might actually be in the wrong? She "told" him to apologise as if she gets to give the umpire orders, her daughter is apparently somehow relevant?

If the umpire interpreted the rules correctly she can get to fuck IMO. If he isn't consistent in other games, then he needs to be taken to task for those, not the one where he applies them correctly.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ant said:

She's got a point tbh (for some of it anyway), generally, you wouldn't get the penalties she got during a game and the men get away with it frequently, and don't have points deducted etc the norm is they get a warning 

The Aussie lad being a prime example Kyerios (sp) , an umpire the other week literally gave him a pep talk during the match, "come on Nick this isn't you, chin up" kind of thing when he was having a shocker, and he frequently has outbursts which are now considered entertaining. See Mcenroe as well he's basically a legend for his.

Nadal had a run in with this same ref apparently (a friend was telling me about it yesterday as they'd be more into the tennis), and was shouting at him "you'll never umpire another of my games"

The problem is he's a stickler for rules (which is fine) but isn't consistent, in one game with that aussie lad and Djokovic, he let the aussie away with a racket throw but not Djokovic.

In fairness to williams the bits i seen she was trying to get the crowd to stop booing the girl and said she was the deserved winner etc anyway

I disagree on the basis that another different umpire (who is a bit of a bellend and thinks he's a celebrity) overstepping the mark with Nick Kyrgios doesn't make this sexist in the slightest. She's a wonderful tennis player but she's behaved like a spoilt brat. She's also one of those boring bastards who seems to think she's the only person who's ever had a kid.

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...