Wimbledon

LeazesMag

Federer gets to wear his latest cheesy "I'm in another Wimbledon final" tracksuit material blazer, the fucking Swiss bellend. Hopefully his special winner's costume change has to stay in the bag. 

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

It's a tricky one. Obviously she has her issues that she needs to address while the organisers have to provide the product as agreed with the media broadcasters who help to fund the game. In an ideal world she'd be able to turn up, play her tennis and leave but that's not modern sport.

I do get that but it’s not great, is it? I.e. one of the best players and one the women’s game will need in the post-Williams era being handled very insensitively on an issue like this 

What else do they do? They've tried to engage with her but she has refused to talk to them. It's far from an ideal situation but it's not going to be resolved without communication. Announcing at the beginning of a tournament that you're not going to do most of the media wasn't the best way to approach it from her side, talking to the organisers in advance and explaining her situation would have been preferable.

Social anxiety is a real fucking pain and I understand her position. Given that I have similar issues I could see myself hypothetically attempting to handle it the same way, but ultimately I have had to accept in life that sometimes you have to suck it up a bit or you can't move forward. If the world changed to be more accommodating of people who have social anxiety/depression then that would be fantastic, but we're not there yet.

Hopefully the whole thing will help to expand the conversation in this space anyway. She seems to have done what she needs to do, so good for her.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ewerk said:

What else do they do? They've tried to engage with her but she has refused to talk to them. It's far from an ideal situation but it's not going to be resolved without communication. Announcing at the beginning of a tournament that you're not going to do most of the media wasn't the best way to approach it from her side, talking to the organisers in advance and explaining her situation would have been preferable.

Agreed. Not continuing to threaten her with defaulting after she announced her situation would have been better too though 

• Like 1

I’m neither an expert in mental health or sports media, but couldn’t they have given her a list of questions and let her record her answers to be broadcast later? 

It’d remove the pressure on her of being “live”, but give the media the footage they’re after. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’m neither an expert in mental health or sports media, but couldn’t they have given her a list of questions and let her record her answers to be broadcast later? 

It’d remove the pressure on her of being “live”, but give the media the footage they’re after. 

You'd have thought so. Maybe they can do something like that in future.