Wimbledon

LeazesMag

• 7 months later...
47 minutes ago, Alex said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-61276378  Boris Becker jailed for bankruptcy. Always have mixed feelings when someone like that has squandered so much money. 

The details make the difference - bankruptcy in itself can happen very quickly to anyone. 
No great shame in that. 

What he’s done is try to conceal millions of pounds worth of assets from the Insolvency Service. 

Fucking Whopper. 

• Like 2

I always preferred Edberg in their head to heads for his elegance over Becker’s power but he was a fucking incredible player. When he burst into the scene winning Queen’s as a seventeen year old he didn’t drop a set. When people said he was a future Wimbledon champion they didn’t realise it would be within about two weeks. His second serve was better than lots of players’ first serve. I know he’s had a turbulent time since retiring as a player but he’s a quality commentator imo. Witty too. 
As an aside I saw an interview clip recently where Agassi was on about reading Becker’s serve. He eventually worked out Becker had a facial tick where his tongue stuck out when he was going to serve in a certain direction. Agassi said he couldn’t let on to Becker he knew so he’d only ‘guess’ right some of the time. He said Becker couldn’t believe it when he eventually told him after they’d both retired. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alex said:

I always preferred Edberg in their head to heads for his elegance over Becker’s power but he was a fucking incredible player. When he burst into the scene winning Queen’s as a seventeen year old he didn’t drop a set. When people said he was a future Wimbledon champion they didn’t realise it would be within about two weeks. His second serve was better than lots of players’ first serve. I know he’s had a turbulent time since retiring as a player but he’s a quality commentator imo. Witty too. 
As an aside I saw an interview clip recently where Agassi was on about reading Becker’s serve. He eventually worked out Becker had a facial tick where his tongue stuck out when he was going to serve in a certain direction. Agassi said he couldn’t let on to Becker he knew so he’d only ‘guess’ right some of the time. He said Becker couldn’t believe it when he eventually told him after they’d both retired. 

I loved how Becker used to throw himself around the grass court to get to get on the end of a volley. So young too when he won Wimbledon. A class act. On the court at least 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I loved how Becker used to throw himself around the grass court to get to get on the end of a volley. So young too when he won Wimbledon. A class act. On the court at least 

As with a lot of football players there is sometimes a huge gap between talent and intellect. Lothar Matthäus and Boris Becker are probably the best examples from the 80s and 90s if stars inspiring a lit of people, especially Becker made Tennis popular in Germany. Both of them are thick as schweinescheiße though leading to their public life going of the rails when their career finished.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Double break up against the COVID denier. 

All the hypocrisy against him.  Sue Barker dripping like downers chin the other day because he gave a young fan a signed T-Shirt :lol: 'He's so nice' 

3 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

The Toon army South African who once represented NZ?

Aye, but he was British for a while there 

• Haha 4

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, strawb said:

Got to ask mate, why does this bother you? It’s completely irrelevant to any of us

I wouldn't say it bothers me. I just think at 20 years old it's too early for her. 'services to sport' 

Meanwhile you have athletes in other sport achieving shit loads and getting zip. 

But you're right. Its an establishment secret handshake

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...