Source of unlimited hot air at SJP found!!!

Rob W

One tries to lift the conversation above the usual movie threads and the manic ravings of Leazes

Thought it was a simple start to a discussion on renewable energy, hot water network into SJP or maybe that the whole of the town centre will sink about 20m

One tries to lift the conversation above the usual movie threads and the manic ravings of Leazes

Thought it was a simple start to a discussion on renewable energy, hot water network into SJP or maybe that the whole of the town centre will sink about 20m

You mean there is more than one type of borehole in the vicinity of SJP?

Renewable / low carbon energy is one potential route for the economic future of the north east. My dad tells me (pinch of salt) that there is going to be considerable investment in the wind turbine manufacturing(?) site in Blyth. Not entirely sure what role they play at the moment but as you drive past south harbour you see the blades all laid out with work being done on them. I think there is a plan to put a wind farm out on the Dogger bank (or maybe closer in but certainly way offshore). There are contracts up with the Danes (leading company), the Chinese and the US for some part of the manufacturing process for the blades iirc.

If Oil prices stay high, then all this becomes economically viable. I think its an exciting subject anyway.

well if they start on producing water for geothermal use they'll have to have a disposal borehole to get rid of the water after it cools - and it will have to be a few kms away from the extraction hole

http://www.tno.nl/content.cfm?context=them...=717&Taal=2

shows what the Dutch do with warm (not hot) water

As if the dutch are using it to only grow greenhouse 'tomatoes'.

This whole eco-lark is interesting. I saw we sold £100m worth of eco-houses to the chinese yesterday. Our designs are great apparently.

As if the dutch are using it to only grow greenhouse 'tomatoes'.

This whole eco-lark is interesting. I saw we sold £100m worth of eco-houses to the chinese yesterday. Our designs are great apparently.

no its not just tomatoes -its just an easy link - they use it for a lot more and the TNO (the Dutch Geological Survey) have a lot more discussion

you have to distinguish between warm water (eg the Dutch experience) and geothermal hot water or steam (New Zealand, Iceland, Cornwall etc) - the later is often used to generate electricity but the former can only be used for space heating which needs a proper local distribution network - not much chance of that in the UK

you have to lay pipes - normally about 1 km is all it be able to run to

Buildings in the UK are already plumbed for gas and electric and putting in a hot water system can be a real bugger - plus you have to dig up the roads etc

Might work if they can incorporate it in a new build complex