Young uns on loan

Christmas Tree

HIBERNIAN are ready to pounce for Newcastle’s teenage hot-shot Phil Airey – but they will have to wait until the end of the Magpies’ pre-season programme.

Former United assistant boss Colin Calderwood was keen on taking Airey to Easter Road back in January.

However, a hamstring injury suffered just days after the young Geordie made his United debut hampered the proposed loan move.

By the time Airey returned to fitness, Alan Pardew wanted to take a closer look at the promising striker.

Hibs’ Scottish Premier League campaign begins on July 23, but United will be on tour in the United States during this time and Pardew is keen to use the friendlies to experiment – with Airey set to feature.

Pre-season is already under way for Scottish sides, and Calderwood admitted: “The English sides are not even back yet.

“So we will have to wait a while.”

Airey registered 13 goals for the second string last term, underlining why the backroom staff rate him so highly.

Yet Pardew and his No 2 John Carver know fine well he is not the finished article yet, and has barely been tested at first-team level other than a cameo appearance in the FA Cup exit at Stevenage in January.

Pardew has always been abundantly clear he would prefer players to be loaned out rather than ply their trade in front of just two hundred hearty souls in the reserve-team set-up.

Carver said recently: “The reserve team is just an extension of the Academy.

“You can only learn so much in the reserves.

“Playing in League One or the Championship, you really get to grips with what everyday football is all about.

“The manager has made it clear that is what we want to do with our youngsters.”

Airey is likely to be joined by youngsters such as Michael Richardson, Ryan Donaldson and Paul Dummett next season when it comes to players to be loaned out.

It remains to be seen whether the potential departure of Calderwood to Birmingham as Chris Hughton’s new assistant would affect the Airey deal, but interest from the Edinburgh club was strong back in January.

United have an excellent relationship with Hibs, and have played several behind-closed-doors friendlies in recent times against the Easter Road side.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-u.../#ixzz1QZaM3DxQ

Wonder what will happen with Vuckik next season. Surely needs a good loan to bring him on if he isnt going to be around the first team squad.

All good. I think the young lads should be loaned out as soon as they are showing promise. That way you can see if they can handle the day to day footballer mentality and still progress.

Ranger, LuaLua, Ferguson, Airey, Donaldson, Richardson, Tavernier, Folan and Dummett all look like they could make it so a full season out on loan will be good for them and us.

As for Vuckic, he has been fantastic for the reserves when fit, played in a couple of cup games and looked decent especially against chelsea. I too think he will get a good few more chances this season. I think he can develope into a van persie kind of player.

Kadar should get more chances too if he is going to progress.

Complete waste of time sending kids on loan, to Scotland, in a bid to further their football education - to get a kid one step closer to top flight football/level or playing standard. Scottish football, with it's emphasis on 'hoof it from the back & hope for scrappy chances around the box', is the antithesis of the environment that would benefit the technical development of a potential on-field playing asset. Such kids, if they're not deemed to be ready for our 1st team set-up, are better off loaned to another outfit in the top flight, should the opportunity arise.... with the exception being sent to outfit like Stoke, or West Ham (if they're promoted) under Big Sam.

Edited by Year Zero

Id like to see Michael Richardson go out on loan, my mate manages Shankouse and as far as hes concerned the kid was barely good enough in the Northern league never mind professional.

Maybe hes fooled someone getting here or maybe he didnt bother trying at that level. A season playing week in week out at a lower club should prove one way or the other.

Complete waste of time sending kids on loan, to Scotland, in a bid to further their football education - to get a kid one step closer to top flight football/level or playing standard. Scottish football, with it's emphasis on 'hoof it from the back & hope for scrappy chances around the box', is the antithesis of the environment that would benefit the technical development of a potential on-field playing asset. Such kids, if they're not deemed to be ready for our 1st team set-up, are better off loaned to another outfit in the top flight, should the opportunity arise.... with the exception being sent to outfit like Stoke, or West Ham (if they're promoted) under Big Sam.

It didn't do Tim Krul any harm being sent up there.

It didn't do Tim Krul any harm being sent up there.

Far too simplistic reasoning, and my original comment is more reflective on the type of players being sent out on loan, as featured in the article. Different type of learning process involved ie. skillset development. The Scottish leagues (with it's aforementioned pattern of play) does bugger all for an outfielder in developing their technique, under pressure in a matchday situation. Midfielders are routinely bypassed hence they can't hone their technique and off-the-ball movement to the same degree one would expect if a kid was developing under a manager/coache who adheres to a pass & move oriented philosophy. Strikers & forwards likewise see very little in the way of variation/build-up play, which also limits their overall skillset. In addition defenders don't learn to play their way out of the back, or to pass their way through a pressing attacking outfield, hence there is a noticeable void (when watching Scottish outfits) as per their short/mid-range passing game, and more importantly their decision making while in possession/reading a pressing set of attackers' positioning and identifying the subsequent passing lanes. A technique based outfielder (with something resembling a football brain, as alluded to), blooded and developed in Scotland, is a rare thing/species. A restrictive &dominant pattern of play, and matching football philosophy, sees to this non-development from a ball-playing, or technique based perspective. Therefore i stick to my original argument: the Scottish leagues, as a loan destination when a youngster is learning the tools of the trade at a more senior level, is the absolute arse end of the world.

Edited by Year Zero

Interesting that, about Richardson. Maybe he flourished with 2/3 training sessions a day under professional supervision. Maybe he's a very lucky boy. All noises from the club were that he came on in leaps and bounds since joining-his attitude was key.

Scary to think a kid who was playing non-league so recently was making our bench last year.

I would be all for Airey going to Scotland. I cant see how it would be pointless like some have said?? First team experience is what you need as a youngster regardless of league.

I would be all for Airey going to Scotland. I cant see how it would be pointless like some have said?? First team experience is what you need as a youngster regardless of league.

It's all good & well to send them on loan to gain 1st team experience, or to acclimatise them to a more 'mature ' lockerroom environment but there needs to be a balanced reasoning behind where they're offloaded to, just for the sake of gaining 1st team experience. It's not just about giving them a taste of first team football (albeit at a lower level) so it can fuel their hunger, and fast track the mental side of the game/to mature into a professional who takes his craft seriously. Likewise it isn't about sending them off, so that they return as battle hardened & experienced 1st teamers. A loan move has to be advantageous to a kid's (especially a lad with a high ceiling level for improvement) on-field development ie. technique-wise, and actually learning how to play the 'team game' ie. passing & decision making on the ball, off-the-ball movement etc. There needs to be an exhaustive selection process put into place in order to achieve the sort of balance i speak of, which takes into account coaching philosophies and a league/country overall pattern of play. As such, for football based reason only, i see no point in sending young kids (with great potential - especially outfielders) to Scotland, it's a wasted exercise. The club would be better off entering into a 'player cooperative agreement' with a club on from the *continent (and co-op agreements are more expansive than just a big club using a lower profile club purely for player feeding purposes), from the Belgian leagues for example ie. a less physical competition/loose defensively, but offers a sound technique-based learning curve/development platform enabling youngsters (with talent) to harness their ball-using qualities during their early formative years. *as Arsenal have already done in the past.

Edited by Year Zero

I agree tbf. Theres a whole area of learning that goes on Im sure when you are training all week to play in a competitive league other than just be in a reserve squad.

And even though the leagues are poorer, learning how to convert goalscoring chances in real games under pressure and the confidence that breeds can only be good.

I also think if you can work your way around the bully boy tactics of the lower leagues it will harden them up.

Wherever they go it amounts to nowt if they are just not good enough. Most of our young players have not been, are not, and probably will not be good enough. I think our "talent scouts" must sit in the pub and pull names out of a hat. It's the only way to explain our dismal success rate bringing on young players.

agree with not sending midfielders to scotland

keepers, defenders and strikers though, they will gain experience in the right areas.

i'd much prefer sending them to a championship team who try and play football though, shame swansea came up

Interesting that, about Richardson. Maybe he flourished with 2/3 training sessions a day under professional supervision. Maybe he's a very lucky boy. All noises from the club were that he came on in leaps and bounds since joining-his attitude was key.

Scary to think a kid who was playing non-league so recently was making our bench last year.

Thats the thing, as far as my mate was concerned he could name a dozen Northern League players off the top of his head that were better than him.

• 3 weeks later...

Donaldson and Ameobi set to go out on loan

ALAN PARDEW today admitted that Newcastle United’s young attacking duo of Ryan Donaldson and Sammy Ameobi certain to go out on loan this season.

However, Ameobi – who netted a sweet strike against Darlington on Friday evening – was on board the Magpies’ flight to the United States yesterday with the first team, and was shaping up this afternoon at Sporting Kansas City’s Training Centre Swope Park as Pardew worked his players hard beneath the summer sun in the mid-western American State.

Donaldson did not make the squad for the US, but will be involved heavily in the reserve team’s trip to Holland, with the party setting off tomorrow for the low country.

The Chronicle reported earlier this summer that Donaldson had been handed a new deal with the Magpies, with Pardew believing that the England Under-19 international has something to offer at St James’ Park.

And should Ameobi, the younger sibling of Shola, continue his rapid progress, it is more than likely he will be offered a new deal given he fits perfectly into the current blueprint of United’s future plans.

Donaldson is believed to have signed a new contract along with young midfielder Michael Richardson.

And Pardew told the Chronicle today from Kansas: “We’ve always said that the younger players will be loaned out.

“They can really learn a lot on loan.

“Ryan and Sammy are candidates for a loan deal this season, as are the likes of Michael Richardson and James Tavernier.”

Last season Donaldson spent time on loan at Hartlepool United under former Toon coach Mick Wadsworth at Victoria Park.

But Pardew recalled the Geordie lad when injuries began decimating his squad.

Yet Pools may be interested in coming to a similar arrangement.

Promising defender Tavernier was on loan at Gateshead in the Blue Square Premier Division last year, but even though Ian Bogie would be keen on taking the Yorkshireman back, he may be tested higher up the Football League ladder.

Pardew today threw the gauntlet down to Donaldson, who burst through the Academy ranks and the England youth system in a blaze of goal glory before being re-positioned as a midfielder under Chris Hughton, and said: “Ryan’s still got a bit to do.

“He’s only a young player, and he needs a bit more time.

“This is a big year for him. All the lads I mention are players who could really do with going out on loan, and at some point they will – 100 per cent.”

Don't know if it's been mention but Lua Lua is now supposedly going to Brighton on loan now. Although he's only got a year left on his contract anyway.