Darron Gibson

Deano

Apparently been allowed to talk to Sunderland and we are to match the 5mil offer in the next 24 hours.

I think he looks like a decent player and a great strike on him but where is he gonna fit in? Its not like he can play on the right and would be a possibly replacement for Barton neither.

More likely a replacement for Nolan and a decent deal at half a mil more than what we got for Nolan.

Thing is we've brought in Cabaye, Barton will probably stay, Gosling back in contention as well as Guthrie to choose from to play alongside Tiote i just dont see the point in this move. Especially when Gibson will want a move for 1st team football.

Is he better than Guthrie though? Guthrie is frustrating....He can have a great game and remind me of Rob Lee one time and then be absolutely gash the next. He has ability and vision on the ball and we've seen a few times with a few quality goals but like you say he suffers from disapeering in games too.....Why is that? Is it lack of fitness or confidence?

Is he better than Guthrie though? Guthrie is frustrating....He can have a great game and remind me of Rob Lee one time and then be absolutely gash the next. He has ability and vision on the ball and we've seen a few times with a few quality goals but like you say he suffers from disapeering in games too.....Why is that? Is it lack of fitness or confidence?

Aye he's streets ahead of Guthrie imo (Ferguson once said he had potential to be future Man U captain - if that's of any relevance). Has scored some absolute screamers as well and maybe given a run in a team could become a poor man's Lampard.

Guthrie gets a lot of bashing but I'd be happy to keep him as backup so Gibson really shouldn't be a priority.

Aye he's streets ahead of Guthrie imo (Ferguson once said he had potential to be future Man U captain - if that's of any relevance). Has scored some absolute screamers as well and maybe given a run in a team could become a poor man's Lampard.

Guthrie gets a lot of bashing but I'd be happy to keep him as backup so Gibson really shouldn't be a priority.

Aye but when he tries to do it 3 or 4 times a game it gets frustrating.

I think he'll make a player somewhere, but not here. If we were short in the middle I'd snap him up, fortunately that's the one position we're covered in nicely. Not needed, unless there's another inevitable sale.

The club must have some hush hush strikers under watch or they're fuckin' daft. We're screaming out for an established forward who can score goals. It's obvious. They can't honestly believe that Shola, Ba, Lovenkrands and Best are going to take us to 'the next level'. Can they?

Alan Smith has scored a few screamers in his time too, doesn't mean a great deal.

Really?

I typed in 'alan smith goals' on youtube, and the first result is this:

A decent scenario would be that we sign Gibson and then sell Guthrie. I don't think Guthrie offers much to the squad, and as for questions as to whether Gibson is better than him: do you think Guthrie would ever have started for that Man U squad?

I'd take Gibson as a replacement for and an upgrade on Guthrie.

I think he'll make a player somewhere, but not here. If we were short in the middle I'd snap him up, fortunately that's the one position we're covered in nicely. Not needed, unless there's another inevitable sale.

The club must have some hush hush strikers under watch or they're fuckin' daft. We're screaming out for an established forward who can score goals. It's obvious. They can't honestly believe that Shola, Ba, Lovenkrands and Best are going to take us to 'the next level'. Can they?

I wouldn't be surprised if the could

Alan Smith has scored a few screamers in his time too, doesn't mean a great deal.

Really?

I typed in 'alan smith goals' on youtube, and the first result is this:

A decent scenario would be that we sign Gibson and then sell Guthrie. I don't think Guthrie offers much to the squad, and as for questions as to whether Gibson is better than him: do you think Guthrie would ever have started for that Man U squad?

I'd take Gibson as a replacement for and an upgrade on Guthrie.

Agreed though for £5 million, it's daft. Like Mac says, put the money toward a good striker.

I really dont think the Darren Gibson transfer will come to anything. Out of the three players that the scum have bid for he was the only one to come out and welcome to the move to Sunderland. Alan Pardew has spoken of creating a fast and free fllowing attacking side. This explains him willing to let Nolan go as he feels he wont fit in. He has bought Cabaye who is better than Gibson and a french international who has more to his game than a good strike on him. Before we sign Gibson, we would need to look towards getting rid of Smith and Guthrie which wont be easy.

I personally think this is all agent talk and it just so happens the closest side to the scum is a team like Newcastle with money to burn (We all know we dont really cause our owner is tight).

As others have said, the £5mil will be put towards strikers and other positions before its put towards Gibson. Even then, £5mil? For what? He isnt really proven in the league.

Aye but when he tries to do it 3 or 4 times a game it gets frustrating.

Aye, you say it's annoying when he shoots 3-4 times a game from far. I tell you what though, we lack a central midfielder who is happy to have a crack from yards. Irritating when in games there's opportunities to shoot from far when no one closes down, but instead they pass.

Good addition to our squad and is really a good player who is young and has potential to improve more

Won't be too fussed if we missed out on him to be honest, I think Gardner is probably a better player for us, the only thing Gibson has in his locker is that he is capable of scoring a screamer here and there.

Out of the three Manchester United players we're rumoured to be in for (Gibson, Brown and O'Shea) the only one I would be happy to see us sign is O'Shea.

Won't be too fussed if we missed out on him to be honest, I think Gardner is probably a better player for us, the only thing Gibson has in his locker is that he is capable of scoring a screamer here and there.

Out of the three Manchester United players we're rumoured to be in for (Gibson, Brown and O'Shea) the only one I would be happy to see us sign is O'Shea.

Brummie fans say the exact same about Gardner.

Edited by Barney

I've never been too impressed with him to be honest. The comparison with Guthrie (who I also don't rate) is obvious. Gibson might be a better player but he's not worthy of a £5m transfer nor is he a player we should be seriously looking at

Strength in depth is always good but im assuming Pardew is going to go with Tiote- Cabaye as the midfield 2 with perhaps Barfa in front of them.

We desperately need attackers.

On that note, Chronicle is saying we're not in for Sturridge despite Villas-Boas claiming he's available from £6 million. Can't believe we won't try.

Strength in depth is always good but im assuming Pardew is going to go with Tiote- Cabaye as the midfield 2 with perhaps Barfa in front of them.

On that note, Chronicle is saying we're not in for Sturridge despite Villas-Boas claiming he's available from £6 million. Can't believe we won't try.

I wonder if that might change if, as it seems, PSG are trying to offload their Forward elsewhere.

If that's true then Pardew, Ashley etc are even more clueless than I thought. Surely with the current going rate for young English players Sturridge would be 10 million at the very least.