What can we expect this season?

Deano

Ok so people are making predictions as to who will finish where this season and who will be challenging for what.

But more importantly...

How well do you think we will or can do this season?

Im confident of a top 10 finish this season and beleive that if we get a little luck with injuries and we settle into a good solid run of form with a positive approach (which i think we will) then theres no reason why we cant finish 7th and have a very good cup run.

Improve our home form, stay solid away and play an attractive positive brand of football whilst attacking the FA Cup for our first bit of silverwear and using it as a second option into europe if we dont get 7th.

Personally i think we are more than capable and next season will be an exciting one. We have a pretty good starting 11 and a few decent players on the bench with surely more to come in before Sept 1st...Hopefully a top class striker to really push our charge for 7th.

Why cant we have a good cup run neither? Play a strong team in the FA Cup rotating a few fringe players (Ameobi, Lovenkrands, R.Taylor, Guthrie and Williamson) resting a few key players keeping them fresh for the league and putting our "developement squad" out in the League Cup with a few senior players for experience.

This would give us the best way to have it all ways...Push hard in the league and keep key players fresh, play a strong side in the FA Cup and get to see a few young lads like Abeid, Vuckic, Kadar, Ferguson, Dummet, Airey and Folan in the League Cup.

Sounds good to me and i honestly think we could have a great season like this! Hopefully the new lads settle quick and we find a good brand of football and improve on last season.

As it stands i think our top scorers will be...

Ba...10

Ben Arfa...10

Cabaye...8

Barton...5

Marveaux...5

Shola...5

Lovenkrands...5

48 goals from just them not to mention a few here in their from others like Jonas, Guthrie, S.Taylor and Coloccini as well as a likely new striker who should also get about 15 goals.

Im confident :(

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant you guys just have an actual opinion on the squad rite now and how you think we could do?

Stop sitting on the fence :(

As for Ben Arfa....I know what your saying but i just think players like himself (the boys a bit special) CAN have a huge impact on the PL...theres not many of them to be honest.

Edited by Deano

You should be happy with survival again for another season, and I don't mean that in a derogatory way.

Nolan's gone, Barton and Enriqué could be away, and so far all you've brought in are a couple of unknown Frenchies and a centre-forward who has just been relegated.

You should be happy with survival again for another season, and I don't mean that in a derogatory way.

Nolan's gone, Barton and Enriqué could be away, and so far all you've brought in are a couple of unknown Frenchies and a centre-forward who has just been relegated.

Hardly unknown.

And for the millionth time, I'd recommend making predictions when the season starts, not four days (officially) into the window.

You should be happy with survival again for another season, and I mean that in a derogatory way.

Henderson's gone, Gyan and Gordon could be away, and so far all you've brought in are an unproven British striker, and two midfielders who have just been relegated.

You should be happy with survival again for another season, and I mean that in a derogatory way.

Henderson's gone, Gyan and Gordon could be away, and so far all you've brought in are an unproven British striker, and two midfielders who have just been relegated.

Ouch!!! :(;)

Expecting a very creative pacey midfield, dazzling all who come before us while the goals rain in in our favour.

Hopefully Enrique will be the only big loss going forward and we managed to find a decent left back to replace him.

Think we've got to fancy ourselves for a cup.

Viva La Wembley!

I would be absolutely happy with a finish between 10 – 8.

I’m not sure if we can finish above 8th because of the French lads. Don’t know how they will adapt the English football and specially the insensitivity of this football style.

Also I’m a little concerned about possible injuries of Marveaux or Ba.

Well, cups are another thing, everything is possible! Therefore I think we will have a fine run in one of the cups, preferring FA Cup of course :(

Would prefer to see the young lads in the league cup (carling cup) mainly, depending on our table situation we should crush the FA cup with full force I think.

So fare I see Ba as our main striker so far, but by the end of the transfer window I will make me choice. Ba is a cold blood scorer, therefore I see him hit the 15 goal mark!

Apart from the obvious group to finish top 6 (Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs) who are we challenging with for 7th?

Everton? Villa? Fulham? Bolton? Sunderland?

Personally i'd say we are a better team than them.

Having just listened to Pardews full interview I must say I am even more excited about the style of play, the players who will take to the field and how we will do next season.

Exciting season ahead I think.

Agreed.

Cant see a better front 6 in any teams we supposedly challenging with. Thats even with Shola or Ba upfront.

---Ba---

---Ben Arfa---

---Marveaux---Tiote---Cabaye---Barton

:(

Having just listened to Pardews full interview I must say I am even more excited about the style of play, the players who will take to the field and how we will do next season.

Agreed.

Cant see a better front 6 in any teams we supposedly challenging with. Thats even with Shola or Ba upfront.

---Ba---

---Ben Arfa---

;)

And then fit Nzogbia and Erdinc into that :(

Agreed.

---Ba---

---Ben Arfa---

;)

And then fit Nzogbia and Erdinc into that :(

Exactly! Then we'd definitely have these options off the bench that Pardew said we'd have this season. Pace in Jonas, Marveaux and Ba off the bench against tired legs :D

Where's the goals coming from next year? (With the squad as it is).

As it is...Key players should get around...

Ba...10-15

Ben Arfa...7-10

Cabaye...7

Barton...5

Ameobi...5

Marveaux...5

Jonas...5

Lovenkrands...3-5

Taylor...3

Coloccini...3

I agree with Tecato, pointless thread imo. Squad could be much better or worse come kick off. You might as well flip a coin too on how well the new signings will settle in and whether ben Arfa's fully recovered from his injury.

Where's the goals coming from next year? (With the squad as it is).

As it is...Key players should get around...

Ba...10-15

Ben Arfa...7-10

Cabaye...7

Barton...5

Ameobi...5

Marveaux...5

Jonas...5

Lovenkrands...3-5

Taylor...3

Coloccini...3

Ba...7

Ben Arfa...4

Cabaye...3

Barton...4

Ameobi...8

Marveaux...1

Jonas...1

Lovenkrands...4

Taylor...3

Coloccini...2

with the current squad, as it stands, i think we will be bottom 6-8 again. if we keep what we have and add three or four quality players, we could finish in the top half. if we sell more quality players like enrique and barton and don't replace them with better quality players then we will be in a relegation scrap again. the other crucial thing is we still lack numbers. we should be adding players and not letting any more go. we'll struggle with lack of strength in depth.

Despite Pardew's assertions about playing a more attractive style of football, the bottom line is we will have a mediocre squad including a number of players completely untried in English conditions and missing most of our best performers of recent times. Ashley and co. will be hoping for mid-table, my feeling is that bottom six is more realistic, and at some point we'll find ourselves in the relegation scrap I would imagine.