News of the World

ChezGiven

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see they gave Skinner his old seat back when Labour moved back across the house. :D

Is he 'Father Of The House' yet? :rolleyes:

Rupert Murdoch's dark night of the soul

As the phone-hacking scandal intensifies, Michael White imagines what Rupert and James Murdoch might be talking about

"Pops, you're murmuring, 'Rebekah, we've got to look after Rebekah' in your sleep again. You keep waking me up."

"Sorry, James. It's been a stressful week. Now go back to sleep."

"Pops. Is Rebekah going to be our new mum?"

"No, James, she's not. Wendi's your mum now. We have to look after Rebekah because if she gets fired those lentil-eating, sandal-wearing bastards at the Grauniad will turn their attention on you, son. I'm not having that James, you're family."

"Pops, are we going to close another newspaper when we get up today? Closing the News of the World was quite exciting – and it was all my idea, wasn't it, Pops?"

"No, son, we're not going to close the Sun, the Sunday Times or the Times, though it would teach some of those toffee-nosed Poms a lesson if they lost their precious Times. It's cost me a fortune and they're not a bit grateful. Look at the way they've all turned on us just over a bit of phone hacking."

"Pops, I've got something to tell you."

" James, it's four o'clock. The alarm clock won't ring for another hour. Go back to sleep."

"But Pops, I've got to tell you eventually. When I signed off on those cheques to settle all those complaints, I thought phone-hacking just meant hacks using the phone. I didn't realise it was serious, I didn't know it was illegal. I'm sorry, Pops.

"It's all right, James. We all make mistakes, I've made a couple myself. We'll get through it, we always do."

"Pops, why do the politicians hate us? I thought they all came to your parties and laughed at your old jokes. Weren't they our friends too?"

"They're just a bunch of cowardly opportunists, James. I've seen it before in America, Asia and even in God's own country, Australia, matey. Why, even in China they can bottle out of a decent decision to back my business interests."

"Is that why the hacks hacked into their phones and bank accounts, Pops?"

"No, it wasn't James and I've told you before that you don't know anything about phone hacking. It was a rogue reporter. No, that was last year's story. It was a rogue news room. And they did it because they believe that in a free and transparent democracy voters have a right to know what those bastard politicians are up to."

"I think Sienna Miller's lovely, Pops. I was sorry to read that she was treated just as badly as that Gordon Brown. I never liked him much, too grumpy. Why did we hack Sienna, Pops? I was really upset about her broken heart."

"Because the readers had a right to know what she was up to, son. Now try and go back to sleep."

KNOCK, KNOCK.

"Pops, I think there's someone at the door. Shall I let them in?"

"No, son, it will only be Sheila, the housekeeper."

"Pops, he says he's a policeman and he wants all our computers. You won't let him take my new iPad, will you?"

johnprescott John Prescott

So BSkyB bid over. PCC to be abolished. Senior News International staff arrested. Inquiry into police and press on its way. Yep. I'm happy

johnprescott John Prescott

So BSkyB bid over. PCC to be abolished. Senior News International staff arrested. Inquiry into police and press on its way. Yep. I'm happy

The BsB will be started again in a few years time, there rest i agree with though.

Just needs to add the PM's to that list though

Apologies if this sounds ignorant but who really cares who owns BSkyB? I'd have thought most educated people would make their own minds up on issues rather than being influenced by the media. Will life really change if NewsCorp buy BSkyb?

I'd have thought most educated people would make their own minds up on issues rather than being influenced by the media.

Yes, but what about the vast majority of the population?

Brooks has finally had a her fingers prised from the cliff edge, about time too. An FBI investigation that proved they hacked 9-11 victims/their families as mentioned above would destroy what little credibility News Corps had left, especially in the US.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14166162

When I heard about this last night I was thinking it would be great if this latest accusation turns out to be true as it would go down like a shit sandwich over there.

Brooks has finally had a her fingers prised from the cliff edge, about time too. An FBI investigation that proved they hacked 9-11 victims/their families as mentioned above would destroy what little credibility News Corps had left, especially in the US.

When I heard about this last night I was thinking it would be great if this latest accusation turns out to be true as it would go down like a shit sandwich over there.

If James Murdoch is proven to have been complicit in all this could he be jailed in the US if it ended up in a guilty verdict at a trial?...is there an offence he could be charged with?..

What does it say about us that we want the victims of 9/11 to have been hacked by NC?

It's good that Murdoch has lived to see his reputation crumble around him. News Corp will want rid of him and James soon enough, they are now toxic and a liability.

Hopefully Press freedom in this country is not stultified as a result of this scandal: Murdoch's entire reputation was ostensibly brought down as a result of investigative journalism by the Guardian. Murdoch's influence lay in the polititian's desire to court him and their pathetic fear of his papers; if he was really omnipitent he could not have been slain so easily.

What does it say about us that we want the victims of 9/11 to have been hacked by NC?

It's good that Murdoch has lived to see his reputation crumble around him. News Corp will want rid of him and James soon enough, they are now toxic and a liability.

Hopefully Press freedom in this country is not stultified as a result of this scandal: Murdoch's entire reputation was ostensibly brought down as a result of investigative journalism by the Guardian. Murdoch's influence lay in the polititian's desire to court him and their pathetic fear of his papers; if he was really omnipitent he could not have been slain so easily.

I knew someone would pick up on that after I wrote it. I should have phrased it differently really. I think it's awful if it's true but also, if it is true then I hope they got shot to shit over it. The families obviously don't need the renewed trauma and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

What does it say about us that we want the victims of 9/11 to have been hacked by NC? .

I knew someone would pick up on that after I wrote it. I should have phrased it differently really. I think it's awful if it's true but also, if it is true then I hope they got shot to shit over it. The families obviously don't need the renewed trauma and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I admit when I first heard about the FBI investigation I hoped they'd find something so that I could see Murdoch/s pulverized by the American justice system.

Nice to see Murdochs world falling apart. I still expect him to emerge largely unscathed but this 9/11 latest will hopefully prove otherwise.

I see dmgt is thinking of launching a mass market Sunday tabloid to fill the gap. Might be a case of better the devil you know there....

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/07/14/u...E76D77Q20110714

Edited by Dr Gloom

Even if it isn't proven to be true (I'm deliberately not saying 'proved innocent'), he's surely finished over the regardless? Once the Americans get wind of what's gone on over here and relate that to their own experiences, the trust will have gone?

FBI investigation will surely have to go widerspread? Post Oklahoma bombing too?