News of the World

ChezGiven

Don't know what we can expect from the public enquirie(s).....they are likely to be many years in the future and some being called may well have done time for it....unlikely to be Murdoch, Coulson or Brooks though... but if you ask me they should be left in a room alone with Milly Dowler's parents and a baseball bat.

How would Murdoch, Coulson and Brooks beating Milly Dowler's parents to death with a baseball bat help matters?

Have Wikileaks got anything worthy of attention on NI/Murdoch, or are they still releasing memos about how Gaddafi has the hots for his nurse?

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't read the last few pages, but I've just seen this on the BBC Homepage

NOTW Hacking Dead Soldiers families phones

Phones owned by relatives of dead UK soldiers were allegedly hacked by the News of the World, a national newspaper reports.

The Daily Telegraph claims the phone numbers of relatives of dead were found in the files of private investigator Glenn Mulcaire.

This comes after Prime Minister David Cameron said he would set up a public inquiry into alleged phone hacking.

Rupert Murdoch, the paper's owner, has called claims of hacking "deplorable".

Speaking after earlier claims of phone hacking, he said: "Recent allegations of phone hacking and making payments to police with respect to the News of the World are deplorable and unacceptable."

In a statement, Mr Murdoch, chairman of News Corporation, News International's parent company, said: "I have made clear that our company must fully and proactively co-operate with the police in all investigations and that is exactly what News International has been doing and will continue to do under Rebekah Brooks's leadership.

'Shocked and appalled'

"We are committed to addressing these issues fully and have taken a number of important steps to prevent them from happening again."

After details of the Telegraph story emerged, a senior source at News International told BBC political editor Nick Robinson: "The military is a cause central to the heart of News International. If this story is correct we are absolutely shocked and appalled that that tradition has been besmirched".

"The News of the World and the Sun have prided themselves on their support for Help the Heroes, campaigns for the military covenant and other military causes."

Meanwhile, Scotland Yard has told George Osborne that his name and home phone number appeared on notes kept by Mulcaire and former News of the World reporter Clive Goodman, a spokesman for the chancellor said.

He said there was no suggestion that his phone had been hacked.

The prime minister has expressed disgust at claims that the voicemail of murdered girl Milly Dowler was hacked, and some messages deleted.

Don't know what we can expect from the public enquirie(s).....they are likely to be many years in the future and some being called may well have done time for it....unlikely to be Murdoch, Coulson or Brooks though... but if you ask me they should be left in a room alone with Milly Dowler's parents and a baseball bat.

How would Murdoch, Coulson and Brooks beating Milly Dowler's parents to death with a baseball bat help matters?

Have Wikileaks got anything worthy of attention on NI/Murdoch, or are they still releasing memos about how Gaddafi has the hots for his nurse?

I'm sure I read somewhere assange saying he had shit on Murdoch and on the banks.

Choicest critique I've read about this situation

Some quotes:

Disgust is that most visceral of physical reactions that, when triggered by a social act, indicates a breach of the most basic sense of human reciprocity, of what is owed by human beings to each other. Having separated itself, as an organisation [Murdoch's News Corp.], from any sense of common human relations, that basic override has fallen away for many News Corp myrmidons. They can no longer recognise what stuff might get the humans upset — so upset that advertisers are now withdrawing en masse.

News International has elevated nihilism to the status of a guiding principle, and that has become not merely a moral but an operational disaster for them — making it possible that the decision to allow it to take a controlling interest in BSkyB may be re-examined and rescinded.

Murdoch’s pursuit of power without content, as a way to plug a hole in the world, has spread to every part of his organisation, and to its leading players. The sort of people attracted to, and staying with Murdoch, come from the ranks of, to quote a dead Russian “the sort of journalists who do not need to be bribed because they are sycophantic by nature.”

I agree with much of what's written in the article, but what he doesn't touch on in great detail is how what’s lead this to occur is the decline in standards of all news reportage ... and the tabloid-isation of it all. If news is turned into entertainment (the opening report on the nightly news is the footage of a high-speed chase down a highway rather than, for example, the threat of thousands of deaths in Somalia, how the now-forgotten nuclear accident in Japan has become far worse, how the erosion of people’s liberty through the creation of new laws is occuring... take your pick), then what can we expect than for the news organisations to try outdo each other with new exclusives etc.

And they reason for the decline in standards is because so much of the greater public laps it up. People have wrought this foul, disgusting behaviour on themselves (and I’m not just talking about this one specific example in Britain ... ‘cause it’s happening worldwide).

You’d like to think this is an opportunity for people to wake up to themselves and see why and how this occurred. But it won’t happen.

Sorry to be on such a highhorse about this ... but it makes me fucking sick.

Assange refers to these specific cables as "insurance files" that will be released "if something happens to me or to WikiLeaks".

Do you buy that HF?

Dunno.

What's he been unable to back up previously?

At end of day joe public is too apathetic and ironically, partially as a result of this very type of 'journalism' are also desensitised (emotionally labotomised) . Any dip in sales will be temporary before folk fall back into the fold i rekon .

At end of day joe public is too apathetic and ironically, partially as a result of this very type of 'journalism' are also desensitised (emotionally labotomised) . Any dip in sales will be temporary before folk fall back into the fold i rekon .

Agree

Assange refers to these specific cables as "insurance files" that will be released "if something happens to me or to WikiLeaks".

Do you buy that HF?

Dunno.

What's he been unable to back up previously?

Well, think of it this way: something has happened to him and to Wikileaks. He's now under house arrest after an international manhunt based on what appear from a distance to be spurious charges. Wikileaks has had accounts frozen on Paypal and Amazon and it has been targeted by hackers, perhaps acting for a government (there is more: you could probably cite more instances than me).

Given that the last leak to get widespread media coverage turned out to be such a let down after Assange's hyperbole (however amusing it may be to find out Kim Jong Il's son asked the US if they would arrange an Eric Clapton concert for him), it would make no sense for Wikileaks not to release any substantial information they have on Murdoch at this moment: firstly, it would show that Wikileaks can still be relevant and serve a useful purpose; secondly, and more importantly, they would be morally obliged to make these leaks public by their own code: "we also expect to be of assistance to people of all regions who wish to reveal unethical behaviour in their governments and corporations". What better instance than this?

Wikileaks have several 'insurance files', so releasing this one--were it of any use--would still leave them with plenty in reserve. I can't help thinking, that like the diplomatic cables, anything Wikileaks has on Murdoch/NI will not be highly-classified, and therefore its release won't be of any particular consequence. I severely hope I'm wrong as I would be delighted to see them both criminally prosecuted.

Whatever you think about the content of the diplomatic cables, they are regarded as having contributed at least in part to the arab spring. Haven't you considered EVERY leak they've been responsible for as essentially 'old news' and of little significance?

Also they're confirmed to hold these details which are yet to be leaked...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12205690

it would make no sense for Wikileaks not to release any substantial information they have on Murdoch at this moment

Assange has enough material for his first book, which is supposed to be coming soon.

A reason could be to save the fallout from it for the next book.....or even for the book itself. :lol:

Whatever you think about the content of the diplomatic cables, they are regarded as having contributed at least in part to the arab spring. Haven't you considered EVERY leak they've been responsible for as essentially 'old news' and of little significance?

Also they're confirmed to hold these details which are yet to be leaked...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12205690

What's that got to do with releasing information about Murdoch/NI at this moment in time?*

*rhetorical question

Some people regard them as having had a small part in the arab spring, they probably served a purpose in certain instances like Tunisia. It's nonsense to suggest they had a crucial role to play in these events, as the acolytes of JA are prone to.

I don't regard every leak in that light, no. I just think that WL has been proven almost wholly ineffectual as a force against the most powerful oppressive regimes, as was their original intent. For the purpose of coherent discussion it'd probably be best leaving this to another thread.

it would make no sense for Wikileaks not to release any substantial information they have on Murdoch at this moment

Assange has enough material for his first book, which is supposed to be coming soon.

A reason could be to save the fallout from it for the next book.....or even for the book itself. :lol:

Now you're just being silly. You deserve a spanking.

I wonder if Assman will release a spin-off series of books about his internet dating and cyber-sex? I'll never know why a man with dance moves like that would resort to such measures.

Its the best football paper on a Sunday but it's the right move, truly is beyond shocking what they've done. The People will be rubbing their hands, maybe a come back for the Sunday Sport?

Its the best football paper on a Sunday but it's the right move, truly is beyond shocking what they've done. The People will be rubbing their hands, maybe a come back for the Sunday Sport?

:lol:

It is like, especially when the seasons in full flow, can't be arsed with the Telegraph or The Times, and their lack of quotes. All I want to see is who said what and speculation not opinion, when most of it is shit.

It is like, especially when the seasons in full flow, can't be arsed with the Telegraph or The Times, and their lack of quotes. All I want to see is who said what and speculation not opinion, when most of it is shit.

The Sunday Times' football coverage, especially on a weekend is far more insightful and informative.

Clever play by Murdoch. Problem goes away and one less hitch in the takeover. It wont be long before a new news int sunday tabloid replaces the notw. It's basically a rebranding exercise.