News of the World

ChezGiven

Clever play by Murdoch. Problem goes away and one less hitch in the takeover. It wont be long before a new news int sunday tabloid replaces the notw. It's basically a rebranding exercise.

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the best football paper on a Sunday but it's the right move, truly is beyond shocking what they've done. The People will be rubbing their hands, maybe a come back for the Sunday Sport?

Nah man. Murdoch will just launch a sunday sun or something. The news of the world in all but name.

How many millions is that going to lose them? Bold move. Bet the People/Mirror etc. cant believe their luck

Hardly any. It's a deft move. It deflects a lot of the public anger and it clears the way for the Sky takeover, which will make Murdoch many more millions. While the notw effectively becomes the sunday sun. Hes a crafty old Aussie cunt.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Clever play by Murdoch. Problem goes away and one less hitch in the takeover. It wont be long before a new news int sunday tabloid replaces the notw. It's basically a rebranding exercise.

In a nutshell.

Closing a paper because of the actions of staff who have since left the company is just stupid.

I think their initial reaction to the reports put the nails in their own coffin basically just telling lies about the situation, saying it was one rogue reporter. It aint no Nick Leeson son.

Closing a paper because of the actions of staff who have since left the company is just stupid.

I think their initial reaction to the reports put the nails in their own coffin basically just telling lies about the situation, saying it was one rogue reporter. It aint no Nick Leeson son.

You could apply that to NI as a whole, look at the statement I posted from 2009 on the other page.

yeh it’s looking like a rebranding exercise, at least all the people working directly and indirectly for NotW will have a chance to be in employment — most of whom have nothing to do with that kind of journalism. The ones calling the shots will still be at it one way or another. You only have to read this resignation letter to the Daily Star to see how much of an influence comes from an owner:

Daily Star resignation letter

I also think that it’s a good thing for people that read other newspaper titles that it still exists, otherwise other titles will change their content to accommodate the morons who ‘read’ the NotW.

yeh it’s looking like a rebranding exercise, at least all the people working directly and indirectly for NotW will have a chance to be in employment — most of whom have nothing to do with that kind of journalism. The ones calling the shots will still be at it one way or another. You only have to read this resignation letter to the Daily Star to see how much of an influence comes from an owner:

I also think that it’s a good thing for people that read other newspaper titles that it still exists, otherwise other titles will change their content to accommodate the morons who ‘read’ the NotW.

That last sentence implies this was a practice exclusive to the NOTW when in fact we can see beyond reasonable doubt that it was a widespread one across the press, particularly those in the NI branch.

As for the employees of the NOTW, look for work elsewhere if you have anything about you. I know it's hard, but you don't want to be aiding scum.

That last sentence implies this was a practice exclusive to the NOTW when in fact we can see beyond reasonable doubt that it was a widespread one across the press, particularly those in the NI branch.

As for the employees of the NOTW, look for work elsewhere if you have anything about you. I know it's hard, but you don't want to be aiding scum.

go work for somebody else, yet they’re all the same?!

the vast majority of people working for newspapers aren’t even journalists.

James Murdoch and his hideous mid Atlantic accent on 5live as we speak, denying till he is blue in the face that he and Brooks knew nothing of the huge sums of money being paid to PI's and police officers, then bullshitting his way through a piss poor explanation as to why the likes of Gordon Taylor was paid in an out of court settlement 2 years ago when he threatned to tell all.

The journo (Tom Bradury of ITV) has pressed him repeatedly about Brooks knowing full well that she "wasn't running a newsroom, but a huge data gathering organisiation" but Murdoch said he "can't comment on an ongoing police investigation", and giving her his full backing in her cooperation in the investigation by the police force she was allegedly paying huge sums of money to for recently bereaved people's phone numbers.

Theyve just had a reporter on from the NOTW offices who basically said the biggest threat to Brooks's safety now is from her former employees who are a bit miffed at her "I'm sacking all you lot but, ( almost in the words of David Brent) on a brighter note, I'll be keeping my own job" speech at the staff meeting to announce the closure of the 155 year old publication that, under her leadership, has ceased to exist.

Once the police investigation (now thankfully under the watchful eye of the Police Complaints Commision) has done with her and the file has gone to the CPS I think she'll be get a huge payment to buy her silence from her present employers and quietly let go....with a nice spell in Holloway to look forward to.

Edited by PaddockLad

go work for somebody else, yet they’re all the same?!

the vast majority of people working for newspapers aren’t even journalists.

I said, "LOOK FOR WORK ELSEWHERE." There are lots of job in the fishing industry, for instance.

sorry, misinterpreted.

yeh, loads of jobs out there for them.

As has been said, this is nothing more than a re-branding exercise and totally a commercial decision by Murdoch, Brookes, etc. There's absolutely no moral fibre behind the decision to pull it, they've simply seen brand after brand deciding to pull their advertising revenue - the paper was a dying brand and they've jumped ship.

Hasn't dealt with the problem either. In fact it's made it worse. If it isn't a re-branding exercise then 200 journalists have suddenly be dumped on the dole in order to save one woman's skin... It's an absolute joke.

The Murdochs, Brookes and Coulson all deny knowledge and approval of the bribery and the hacking. So either they're all morons who cannot control staff's behaviour and never had any brains toaskwhere they got these great stories from. Or they're a lying sack of cockbags who should be in court. It'll probably be the latter in truth, as Murdoch has a reputation for directing his editors and being involved in how his papers should be run.

I've always thought that a very blind eye has been turned on the relationship between the press and the police - I remember years ago when David Pleat got arrested for kerb crawling and it was front page of The Sun the next day I couldn't help thinking how they knew - obviously a copper had tipped them off, presumably for cash.