News of the World

ChezGiven

Anyone who buys this rag next Sunday should hang their head in shame. Trouble is, it's readership are probably mostly cretins who have no conception of what is happening.

I would love it if we were witnessing the beginning of a slow death of this meaningless rag.

Maybe some day we will find out how many of the other 'papers' were happily going along with this fone hacking business. Until we do, the NOTW will have to be the sole focus of my detest.

Edited by snakehips

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Rebbeca Thingy is the one who printed the names and addresses of sex offenders to encourage vigilante mayhem, and is/was with Ross Kemp and had attacked him*. I hope she and Kelvin McKenzie die slowly from some nasty disease, as that what scum like them deserve. These vermin deserve prison, but no doubt Coulson and Thingy will get away with it, and the lackeys will carry the can.

If I was Murdoch, I'd close down the NotW, sack every journalist involved and launch a replacement Sunday tabloid with a whole new crew. The paper is too badly damaged.

*=It's OK as when domestic violence is a woman attacking a man, it is hilarious and only minor. It's only wrong if it is the other way round :(

Even more hilarious when you consider that her paper was running a campaign against domestic violence at the time.

I remember reading this article online a while ago, didn't realise it was from The New Statesman. It's cropped up again in light of these allegations. Basically Hugh Grant secretly records a conversation with a former NOTW hack.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/magazinemonitor/

http://www.newstatesman.com/newspapers/201...cameron-murdoch

Here's a key excerpt used in the beeb piece:

Hugh Grant: "Ah . . . I think that was one of the questions asked last week at one of the parliamentary committees. They asked Yates [John Yates, acting deputy commissioner of the Metropolitan Police] if it was true that he thought that the NoW had been hacking the phones of friends and family of those girls who were murdered...the Soham murder and the Milly girl [Milly Dowler]."

Paul McMullan: "Yeah. Yeah. It's more than likely. Yeah...It was quite routine. Yeah - friends and family is something that's not as easy to justify as the other things."

The phone-hacking crisis enveloping the News of the World intensified on Tuesday night after it emerged that Scotland Yard has started to contact the relatives of victims of the 7 July 2005 attacks to warn them they were targeted by the paper.

The revelation that bereaved family members may have had their mobile phone messages intercepted by Glenn Mulcaire, a private investigator employed by the paper, in the days following the 2005 London bombings will heap further pressure on the title's owner, News International, part of Rupert Murdoch's media empire.

THe whole thing is disgusting but overall imagine being the parents, leaving heartbreaking message after message. Pouring your heart out in the hope it will convince your child to come home. Then to find out years after she was murdered that some low life reporters have probably sat round a table listening to every word.

....and then deleting them so you get a false impression they're still alive and leave some more.

Cunts want locking up. And the very least that should happen is that bint Brooks should get the boot. Fucking disgrace!

Don't they delete automatically after a period of time?

Not defending them or anything.

Edited by StevenL

Apart from the emotional reaction to the worst of these cases, I marvel at how this exemplifies Murdoch's inversing the role of the news media entirely.

A functioning media are supposed to shine a light on the actions of the most powerful to inform and empower the electorate.

At the rags, I knew they ignored anything and everything of real importance to the country and the electorate in order to protect the elites, but to see the extent they'll go to to fuck over some of the most unfortunate people on the one hand while protecting those in power on the other is both staggering and depressingly unsurprising.

Let's let the BSkyB deal go through though, and hand over 90% of the media to the evil scum. :(

Edited by Happy Face

Looks like the shit has really hit the fan with this one. Good.

Normally when there's revelation after revelation it's the gutter press I blame for drip-feeding to squeeze every last drop out of it.

Who exactly is drip-feeding these stories though? Every day there's more.

THe whole thing is disgusting but overall imagine being the parents, leaving heartbreaking message after message. Pouring your heart out in the hope it will convince your child to come home. Then to find out years after she was murdered that some low life reporters have probably sat round a table listening to every word.

....and then deleting them so you get a false impression they're still alive and leave some more.

Cunts want locking up. And the very least that should happen is that bint Brooks should get the boot. Fucking disgrace!

Don't they delete automatically after a period of time?

Not defending them or anything.

Depends on the provider.

Anyway by the sounds of it they weren't giving it chance to fall off naturally. Providers should be able to determine whether they were deleted and who by.

This needs a a public enquiry ASAP.

If you can be arsed to do anything yourself...

Tweet advertisers http://www.pint.org.uk/notw.html

Email Advertising CEO's https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet...mp;toomany=true

Some other ideas. http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade...ld-milly-dowler

Disgusted, I don't accept the argument that they do stuff like this because the reader wants it. There's a fucking right and a wrong and those with influence should be even more duty bound to know and apply this than their mindless customers. I'd be dishing out jail terms and unprecedented fines. Who knows how deep this rabbit hole goes though, eh?

Edited by trophyshy

The whole situatation was succinctly put to me last night.

Before it was celebrities and politicians, exeperienced in dealing with the press on a level and used to their lives in the public spotlight. Now it is ordinary people who already are going through the most exceptional of circumstances and who are at their most vulnerable.

I know The Guardian isnt the most popular paper on here (mainly on account of their reporting on NUFC) but you have to hand it to them for this. Brookes herself accused them of doing the British public a disservice in 2009 and other tabloid hacks were critical of their obsession.

Nick Robinson is saying that internal investigations have revealed who commissioned and sanctioned the hacking of Milly's phone and it exonerates Brookes. What a tory cunt that man is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14045519

You can also add that several people at Scotland Yard have known about the various hacking over the years - a good example why I just don't trust any of them.

I caught a bit of Channel 4 news last night where they described a case where a PI was murdered twenty odd years ago and a detective appeared on Crimewatch to appeal for help - the NOTW then targetted the detective with their team of PIs - probably aware that the whole investigation involved the PI industry. They thought they'd found a "nice" story of the copper having an affair with a Crimewatch producer but it turned out they were married - obviously not exactly Magnum levels of competence there.

Halifax and Vauxhall have added their names to list of advertisers boycotting the News of the World. They join Ford, Lloyds and Virgin Holidays.

The floodgates appear to have opened in terms of advertisers. We've just heard that the Co-operative Group has also suspended its links with the News of the World. In a statement, the company says it "adheres to strong ethical standards" and the allegations have been "met with revulsion by the vast majority" of people who have contacted it.

Be interesting to see how NOTW deal with all these advertising boycotts particularly when you consider the Bribery Act has now come into force.

Next step should be to petition the big chains chains like Tesco, Asda, WH Smith and that to stop selling it.

Indeed. Good call.