News of the World

ChezGiven

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just been listening to Ed Milliband giving his speech on it all. What an opportunity wasted. The door was wide open for a size 10 astronaut doc martin to repeatedly put the boot in to 'Dave'/the tories/News Int et al, but what we get instead is a sixth-form speech by a guy who could hardly read it, wearing slippers (maybe with one seg in). A golden opportunity to use a massive fishing net to catch a load of votes (which, in essense, is what the speech was for) was done by a knob with one of those kids nets on a bamboo cane.

He got raised eyebrows for being "brave" in PMQ and having a pop.

News Int. still have a huge dominance over UK print and tv news, he's clearly treading a difficult fine line between trying to capture the public mood, but to not piss off the publicity machine he'll need to not be embarrassed by a landslide at the next election. Not to mention looking 2 faced when Labour were so cosy with Murdoch for 15 years.

Just been listening to Ed Milliband giving his speech on it all. What an opportunity wasted. The door was wide open for a size 10 astronaut doc martin to repeatedly put the boot in to 'Dave'/the tories/News Int et al, but what we get instead is a sixth-form speech by a guy who could hardly read it, wearing slippers (maybe with one seg in). A golden opportunity to use a massive fishing net to catch a load of votes (which, in essense, is what the speech was for) was done by a knob with one of those kids nets on a bamboo cane.

News Int. still have a huge dominance over UK print and tv news, he's clearly treading a difficult fine line between trying to capture the public mood, but to not piss off the publicity machine he'll need to not be embarrassed by a landslide at the next election. Not to mention looking 2 faced when Labour were so cosy with Murdoch for 15 years.

Contorting himself along that fine line probably explains the look on his face.

Heard a new theory last night on why Brookes hasn't been sacked (yet!) and I guess it's plausible.

If they sack her now, all the backlash etc. will pass up the line to James Murdoch. If they wait before they do it then they'll hope it'll have all died down and those at the top don't bag any of the grief.

Heard a new theory last night on why Brookes hasn't been sacked (yet!) and I guess it's plausible.

If they sack her now, all the backlash etc. will pass up the line to James Murdoch. If they wait before they do it then they'll hope it'll have all died down and those at the top don't bag any of the grief.

I think it's a combination of all the reasons given....

1. She's got so much shit on the Murdoch's

2. It's an admission of wrong-doing at the top levels to sack anyone

3. She's a barrier

4. She's supposedly 'like a daughter' to Murdoch'

5. She's also great mates with the last 3 PMs and it taints them too.

6. It takes it out of the realm of being a NOTW problem into being a News International problem.

6. It takes it out of the realm of being a NOTW problem into being a News International problem.

Even if they don't start a new paper or relaunch the NOTW in 6 months time, I think this what they are trying to aviod the most by suggesting that if there was any wrongdoing it was isolated to that branch.

As if The Sun and probably even Sky News haven't done similar shit - especially paying coppers.

I can't see how the advertisers can ethically continue to use any NI businesses.

Like I said last night, if they don't start a new paper, they've just made 200 people redundant in order to save Rebekah Brooks so surely it'd be in their best interests to re-launch.

Also you have to ask what (if anything) she's got on the Murdochs...

Contorting himself along that fine line probably explains the look on his face.

Is there anything to suggest that the NI-controlled media have that much influence over the electorate? I was thinking about the last election: the rags withdrew support from an already hugely unpopular government and publicly backed the Torys. They still didn't win a majority because it seems a lot of the electorate still resent the Torys from the days of Thatcher, and no weekly rag is going to change that. I think to an extent it may be a self-perpetuating myth, the power of Murdoch's media empire in this country, and with a little backbone a polititian could peservere without regard to its claws. I could well be wrong though, does anyone know different?

Also, Cameron is dealing with this far better than Milliband. Simply put, Milliband isn't up to his job. Dave is playing a similar line to the one he did during the expenses scandal: 'We all have to take responsibility' yada yada yada.

Cameron said the scandal was not about journalists on one newspaper, but also involved the police and politics. "You can downplay it and deny the problem is deep – or you can accept the seriousness of the situation and deal with it," said Cameron. "I want to deal with it."

Cameron said the PCC had "failed" and shown itself to "lack rigour". The inquiry would recommend what an entirely new system of regulation should look like. "But my starting presumption is that it should be truly independent... independent of the press, so the public will know that newspapers will never again be solely responsible for policing themselves."

His rhetoric beats Milliband's hands down, not that that's difficult. He should be getting absolutely slammed now. It really is worrying that no one in our parliament is even capable of attempting that.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

Who could they of picked really who would have been a patch on wor Tony, queen of our hearts? A man who queued for days and nights to see Jackie Milburn play, he had his finger on the pulse of every man and woman of these fair isles.

Joking aside he was pretty shit-hot as an election-winning force for Labour. Wouldn't catch him pulling faces at old women and calling them bigots :D

NOTW staff are reporting that they've been locked out of emails and can't use USB sticks. Presumably amid fears they will leak info.

Makes sense.

Surprised 200 sacked people given 4 days notice are coming in to get a final issue out on Sunday. If I was coming in at all it would only be to lay my hands on what damaging information i could.

His rhetoric beats Milliband's hands down, not that that's difficult. He should be getting absolutely slammed now. It really is worrying that no one in our parliament is even capable of attempting that.

Let's reiterate and stress this point. We're talking about David fucking Cameron, Tim Nice-but-Dim for the masses. The Eton old boy who churns out "Call me Dave" scripts from his kitchen. It is incredibly, fundamentally depressing that we don't appear to have anyone in parliament who can even chip away at his perch, let alone knock him off it.

Guest alex

Let's reiterate and stress this point. We're talking about David fucking Cameron, Tim Nice-but-Dim for the masses. The Eton old boy who churns out "Call me Dave" scripts from his kitchen. It is incredibly, fundamentally depressing that we don't appear to have anyone in parliament who can even chip away at his perch, let alone knock him off it.

Aye. Look at some of the dregs / hasbeens he's got in his cabinet too.

Anyway, almost equally depressing is that most NOTW readers will now buy The Sun on Sunday and kid themselves they've got a clear conscience.

Aye. Look at some of the dregs / hasbeens he's got in his cabinet too.

Anyway, almost equally depressing is that most NOTW readers will now buy The Sun on Sunday and kid themselves they've got a clear conscience.

You appear to think they'll even know there's a difference.

Like I said last night, if they don't start a new paper, they've just made 200 people redundant in order to save Rebekah Brooks so surely it'd be in their best interests to re-launch.

Also you have to ask what (if anything) she's got on the Murdochs...

I don’t know what the figure is but that’s 200 journalists, NotW employs thousands of other people too. Just think of the logistics alone of getting newspapers to every shop in the UK.

Suppliers will be hit too, for example some paper mill somewhere has just had a huge order lost without any notice.