Mehdi Abeid - On Loan at St Johnstone

McFaul

Was it Sunday Oliseh from Nigeria who scored that screamer in the 98 World Cup?

Aye against Spain in that game I mentioned, sure Hierro or Guardiola scored an immense free kick too.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alex

As an aside (and probably a long shot) does anyone remember Goal TV? It was basically a whole day (or several hours at least) set aside on BBC2 to programmes about football. There were classic World Cups games, i.e. highlights of Brazil v Italy in 1970 and 1982, a programme called L'Etranger about Albert Camus and his relationship with football, the official Fifa film from the 1966 World Cup etc. I mention it because it was on a Bank Holiday weekend (the Monday I think) in the lead up to USA '94 (think it must've been the end of May one). It was class.

That was Taribo West!

Aye. And Gullit tried to get him on loan too I think. Ba's hair was dyed blonde. Did West not play for someone in this country as well?

He had a short spell at Derby and an even shorter spell at Plymouth.

He used to be class on one of the champ man games, at the very start of the game you could get him on a free! Might have been 98. I can't recall! Other than that I've only seen him play in world cups.

I remember in 98 when Nigeria finished top of their group and I seen the shirt in a sports shop my uncle said he would get me it if they won the competition, I was young and naive enough to think they might have had a chance. ;)

It was a lush top though!

NIGERIA-nat_WC98-Home.png

west_eng81a.jpg

Nigeria were class in the '94 World Cup. Probably a bit before your time (ffs! :( ). He was quality (at times) for Inter as well.

Probably could have won the whole thing if it wasn't for that lost minute equaliser off the those horrible flukey pizza scoffing cunts.That game in Nantes too in 98 against Spain was an all time WC classic for me.

Aye, Baggio absolutely carried that side.

Totally. He was pure class against Bulgaria. In my view he is the greatest Italian footballer ever, I know Baresi was an absolute colossus but in terms of ability by far the best white flag waver who's ever played the game. I fuckin hate Italy me in football every bit as much as I hate Liverpool FC. As soon as I see them singin their shit national anthem, I'm fuckin muttering "cunnnnnnnts" - "fraaaatelliiiiiiiiiiiii d'Italiaaaaaaaa....." stood their thinking they're better looking than every cunt else, they're better at football than anyone else, and they're more stylish than anyone else. Get a haircut you defensive bamps. Their style of play has never been endearing too.

Guest alex
That was Taribo West!

Aye. And Gullit tried to get him on loan too I think. Ba's hair was dyed blonde. Did West not play for someone in this country as well?

He had a short spell at Derby and an even shorter spell at Plymouth.

He used to be class on one of the champ man games, at the very start of the game you could get him on a free! Might have been 98. I can't recall! Other than that I've only seen him play in world cups.

I remember in 98 when Nigeria finished top of their group and I seen the shirt in a sports shop my uncle said he would get me it if they won the competition, I was young and naive enough to think they might have had a chance. ;)

It was a lush top though!

NIGERIA-nat_WC98-Home.png

west_eng81a.jpg

Nigeria were class in the '94 World Cup. Probably a bit before your time (ffs! :( ). He was quality (at times) for Inter as well.

Probably could have won the whole thing if it wasn't for that lost minute equaliser off the those horrible flukey pizza scoffing cunts.That game in Nantes too in 98 against Spain was an all time WC classic for me.

Aye, Baggio absolutely carried that side.

Totally. He was pure class against Bulgaria. In my view he is the greatest Italian footballer ever, I know Baresi was an absolute colossus but in terms of ability by far the best white flag waver who's ever played the game. I fuckin hate Italy me in football every bit as much as I hate Liverpool FC. As soon as I see them singin their shit national anthem, I'm fuckin muttering "cunnnnnnnts" - "fraaaatelliiiiiiiiiiiii d'Italiaaaaaaaa....." stood their thinking they're better looking than every cunt else, they're better at football than anyone else, and they're more stylish than anyone else. Get a haircut you defensive bamps. Their style of play has never been endearing too.

Produced some lovely no. 10s though. Zola, Baggio, Signori....

I know a bit about Italian culture, I studied the language for 3 years. The ones in the North are materialistic mugs. It's one of the wealthiest parts of the entire world Northern Italy. The North/South divide there is MUCH MUCH bigger than it is in England, but they're mainly all mugs. The ones in the far south are bamps and corrupt, the mafia runs the south and Sicilly (obviously) so much so, 13% of Italy's GDP is influenced by illegal activities. However not everyone is going to be arrogant, and people in places like Sardinia, you'll get the odd good one like Zola. Zola was under used by Italy, and Signori misused, he used to play on the left wing for them a lot of the time which is fucking ridiculous. Del Piero was a good number 10 too when he first came on to the scene.

Guest alex

I know a bit about Italian culture, I studied the language for 3 years. The ones in the North are materialistic mugs. It's one of the wealthiest parts of the entire world Northern Italy. The North/South divide there is MUCH MUCH bigger than it is in England, but they're mainly all mugs. The ones in the far south are bamps and corrupt, the mafia runs the south and Sicilly (obviously) so much so, 13% of Italy's GDP is influenced by illegal activities. However not everyone is going to be arrogant, and people in places like Sardinia, you'll get the odd good one like Zola. Zola was under used by Italy, and Signori misused, he used to play on the left wing for them a lot of the time which is fucking ridiculous. Del Piero was a good number 10 too when he first came on to the scene.

I've always liked the place tbh. The people are a good laugh. You can take the piss a bit with them and they get it. A bit like the Greeks. Although the Greeks are far bigger piss-heeds in my experience.

When I was there they were nice people when they were talking to you but they don't glance at people - in Milan everybody looks everybody else up and down and they don't care if you notice. Apparently that's just Milan though.

We met a really nice guy in the ground and he said as a club the fanbase welcomed visitors. We didn't get that impression walking round the city though!.

I've always liked the place tbh. The people are a good laugh. You can take the piss a bit with them and they get it. A bit like the Greeks. Although the Greeks are far bigger piss-heeds in my experience.

I think they are arguably the most mental good guys in the world. They are fuckin total heed the baals though, far more intense than us.

Guest alex

I think they are arguably the most mental good guys in the world. They are fuckin total heed the baals though, far more intense than us.

I think they're great. So friendly but definitely a bit off the wall, to put it mildly. Athens is obviously a different kettle of fish to the islands etc. (although they're often very different from each other too). It's a great place to go on holiday if you want to chill out. I'm a bit gutted I won't be going this year tbh.

They would be, given the politics of that country over the last century, revolutions and dictatorships and so on.

It's interesting about the north/south divide in Italy and I think that's why Maradona suited Napoli so much: his background, politics and general outlook seem to suit a club like Napoli as opposed to the materialism of the big northern clubs.

Baggio wasn't a typical Italian either, he's well into his Buddhism and all that bollocks.

Just got back from Greece, there were a couple of Greek fellas, looked like they were havin a full on, kick off argument. Arm waving,shouting etc, when they left I said to our barman wtf was going on there. He smiled and said just discussing the football,lol

I think they're great. So friendly but definitely a bit off the wall, to put it mildly. Athens is obviously a different kettle of fish to the islands etc. (although they're often very different from each other too). It's a great place to go on holiday if you want to chill out. I'm a bit gutted I won't be going this year tbh.

I think they are too, but they're just fuckin mental. They passionately hate Albanians, for the size of the Greek population, they've been utterly swamped by them since the fall of communism, and the borders opened. Heard some right horror stories about them, a lass (I use this phrase liberally) in my company is Greek lived in Thessalonika her 11 year old son was out on his bike, and these 20 odd year old Albanians pushed the poor kid off his bike and fucked off on it. She said they're all criminal bastards.

Edited by McFaul

Guest alex

I think they are too, but they're just fuckin mental. They passionately hate Albanians, for the size of the Greek population, they've been utterly swamped by them since the fall of communism, and the borders opened. Heard some right horror stories about them, a lass (I use this phrase liberally) in my company is Greek lived in Thessalonika her 11 year old son was out on his bike, and these 20 odd year old Albanians pushed the poor kid off his bike and fucked off on it. She said they're all criminal bastards.

Aye, they're not too keen on them like :(

Guest alex
I lived on Crete for 4 months working in a club for the local small time mafia types. Bunch of fucking nutters.

I read in the Lonely Planet there's about 600,000 people on Crete and 1m+ guns :(

I lived on Crete for 4 months working in a club for the local small time mafia types. Bunch of fucking nutters.

I read in the Lonely Planet there's about 600,000 people on Crete and 1m+ guns :(

I've been to Crete like, went to this place for a trip called the Samarian Gauge, beautiful place like but fuck me, I saw this scorpion, and shit mesel, easily the claimed size of J69's cock. Murder for creepy crawlies the greek isles.

I was there with a lass (who was serving in a rock club and was pestered to strip every night) but made friends with one barmaid who was from Thessalonika. Apparently one of the brothers who owned the club fancied her and was threatening to go and get his gun and shoot me one night for talking to her. I was pissed and oblivious to it all.

Edited by ChezGiven

Guest alex

I've been to Crete like, went to this place for a trip called the Samarian Gauge, beautiful place like but fuck me, I saw this scorpion, and shit mesel, easily the claimed size of J69's cock. Murder for creepy crawlies the greek isles.

Was going to do that walk when I was there until I realised it was a four hour drive and the trip was heading off at 4 am to miss the worst of the heat. I did a smaller, much quieter gorge walk though that came out at this beach (Ayiofarango or something - it means Holy Gorge). It was amazing. I did it on my own as wor lass wasn't having any of that when she could be sunning herself. It's a really beautiful place. The inland mountains look a bit like the Lakeland fells, although they're a canny bit bigger. I love how everywhere you go they give you a shot of Raki and have one with you. We went to this place at about tea time for a coffee / ice cream and as it was quiet (think the lass working there was bored) the waitress had about 3 shots with us in the space of half an hour. I'm definitely going back.