British or English?

Rhys1879SAFC

Watching Newsnight last night and the subject of Scottish independence came up.

My question is do you think of yourself as English, British or both? Would you be happy with the Scots getting independence? Should there be an English parliament?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I consider myself both, I'm half irish half english by blood but an englishman by birthplace and home for my entire life.

as for scots independence I reckon they should have it, it would stop us having to give a shit about them, stop their parliament weighing in on ours but then not having to follow policies themselves and they'd soon realise that they live in a sparsely populated turd hole and have next to no economy to speak of. let them go, they'll be begging to come back before long.

Guest alex

Scottish independence would equal Tory governments. That's about the only downside I can see, but it's a big one for me. Other than that it would make virtually no difference in terms of being able to visit or live there.

Both, I don't care really. And as for the Scots, if they want their own sovereignty then let them have it. However no Scotsman should then ever be elected to the Westminster parliament imo.

I'd be all for geordie independence if we could be self sufficient. From The Tyne up to the jock border. However that's never ganna happen, and I class myself as English anyway. We should have got rid of the lot of the money draining leaches after the second world war. Scotland would probably do OK, if we let them have the oil, Wales would be like Albania and Northern Ireland can do what they want. I've never felt British, growing up you realise all the playful banter from the cunts around the country isn't playful banter with a vast amount of them, they do actually hate England and the English. Mugs. Fuck Britain.

Guest alex
I'd be all for geordie independence if we could be self sufficient. From The Tyne up to the jock border. However that's never ganna happen, and I class myself as English anyway. We should have got rid of the lot of the money draining leaches after the second world war. Scotland would probably do OK, if we let them have the oil, Wales would be like Albania and Northern Ireland can do what they want. I've never felt British, growing up you realise all the playful banter from the cunts around the country isn't playful banter with a vast amount of them, they do actually hate England and the English. Mugs. Fuck Britain.

Do you reckon the sweaties in general hate us, i.e. Geordies, more than your average white van driving, Sun reading southener does though? I don't. Not that I'm into regional prejudice that much. I hate everyone.

Edited by alex

Couldn't give a toss about being English or British in all honesty.

Can't stand exceptionalism in any form. I find it repellent and want to be physically sick when I see almost any flag being flown. As if I personally should be proud that Brunel was a genius. Or should be in awe of Weird Al Yankovic because he's from the country that made it to the moon first.

Edited by Happy Face

Couldn't give a toss about being English or British in all honesty.

Can't stand exceptionalism in any form. I find it repellent and want to be physically sick when I see almost any flag being flown. As if I personally should be proud that Brunel was a genius. Or should be in awe of Weird Al Yankovic because he's from the country that made it to the moon first.

I don't think there anything wrong with a sense of belonging/community as such though obviously only up to a certain point. I'd love it if everyone just thought of themselves as "human" but its a stretch for most.

Guest alex

Do you reckon the sweaties in general hate us, i.e. Geordies, more than your average white van driving, Sun reading southener does though? I don't. Not that I'm into regional prejudice that much. I hate everyone.

Naw i'd say a lot of them would like you a lot more tbh, I think it's the accents (Geordie and Scousers especially) no idea why, maybe it's something that just gives the impression you'd be more down to earth.

Southerns accents do tend to grate on my nerves (london and around there especially)

Well what I actually meant to say is the Southeners have less time for us than the Scots do but what you say probably equally applies.

i'm 1/2 english/ half italian. each country has its own identity to me.

scotland has offal and heroin.

wales has high suicide rates and a large percentage of them can sing

northern ireland has fear and loathing

england has economic depression and corruption.

I know Scotland really well, had family (non jocks) up there all my life. The borders area it's absolutely fine maybe 30% of people are English anyway, Eyemouth is great. Edinburgh I think there's a degree of nationalism, but it's full of absolute snobs called Hector and Finlay they're too stuck up about other parts of Scotland to hate us. Glasgow is a mental town there's a degree of understanding about us as most of them have had time at English trainstations with hungry and homeless signs, but the genuine hatred, and it is genuine starts North of Glasgow, me uncle encountered it for years in Dunkeld and the further north you go the worse it gets. Geordies are tolerated more than the rest of the English though definitely.

I am British when you are abroad and people ask where you are from I usually say the UK, then Yorkshire :()

I'd just say from the North if I was from Yorkshire.

English 100%. How can I feel British when the Scottish/Welsh get their own parliament, free University fees and prescriptions etc whilst we get fuck all, and then the cheeky bastards complain!

im a bit of everything born in london my mothers welsh my dads a geordie and i have lived in wales 22yrs out of the 26 ive been alive. i just say im british its the easiest as i feel like im welsh but know im english.

Had this discussion at work recently. Mainly as I said I often felt that I had less in common with the South of England than South of Scotland. Geordie before English or British. When I work in Scotland I'd say there was good craic between Scottish and Geordie but not the rest of England (in my experience). Mind, I hate London with a passion. But when it comes down to it, I guess I'm meant to be English, whatever that is.

I don't hate London like, and I promise this is not a generalisation, people from London think they are better than people from the North, even the skint dense ones. They look down their nose at us something rotten. That said they can be funny cunts.