Alan Pardew defends Newcastle spending policy

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah we're being bullshitted. What else is new?

Seriously, I expect nothing less from the pack of decentful assholes in charge at the moment.

As has been mentioned by others. Pardew is just towing the line because he's grateful to be in a job in the PL. Perfect man for the job as far as the Fat One and Dekka are concerned.

A free transfer is a free transfer. Net transfer spent equals zero. I don't two fucks about sign on fees, wages, agent fees or if Demba Ba's Grammy got a new walker the net transfer spend is zero.

No one should be swallowing this shit and until we sign at least one big name player I don't think anyone, who isn't CT or a similarly deluded individual, should be expected to.

I don't think any of us realistically expect us to spend the whole 35m on transfer fees. It'll be hard to swallow them pocketing the bulk of it while trying to fob us off saying the rest of it went on wages and the training ground. I think if they spent 20m or so on transfer fees most of us would accept it without kicking off too much.

I don't think any of us realistically expect us to spend the whole 35m on transfer fees. It'll be hard to swallow them pocketing the bulk of it while trying to fob us off saying the rest of it went on wages and the training ground. I think if they spent 20m or so on transfer fees most of us would accept it without kicking off too much.

I think anywhere from £10 to £15m net would be acceptable. However, the most important thing is that if Enrique does go they have replacement (e.g. M'Bengue) and that they bring at least one more striker in that looks capable of getting 15+ goals. If that happens, with no else leaving then i dont really care what the net spend is. There will be people complaining but they will be the same people who get lost in the financial discussions and claim that they dont care about finances, only the football. The inherent contradiction will be lost on them too.

I think anywhere from £10 to £15m net would be acceptable. However, the most important thing is that if Enrique does go they have replacement (e.g. M'Bengue) and that they bring at least one more striker in that looks capable of getting 15+ goals. If that happens, with no else leaving then i dont really care what the net spend is. There will be people complaining but they will be the same people who get lost in the financial discussions and claim that they dont care about finances, only the football. The inherent contradiction will be lost on them too.

Agree. They have the means but have they the will? Spending £35M for the sake of it is crackers, however I'd expect them to get in what we need without looking at the loose change in their hands, wondering if they've enough money. We get in a striker who we'll be confident will do well in this division as well as the cover then I'll be a lot happier too. It's about improving our side. We really are at a junction this year, we are capable of moving on but will we? We could just as easy struggle if the wrong decisions are made this summer, if wrong decisions are made for purely thrifts sake then that'll be a disgrace. As ever, it's in the clubs hands. I've very little trust in them and could anyone blame me for that?

Agree. They have the means but have they the will? Spending £35M for the sake of it is crackers, however I'd expect them to get in what we need without looking at the loose change in their hands, wondering if they've enough money. We get in a striker who we'll be confident will do well in this division as well as the cover then I'll be a lot happier too. It's about improving our side. We really are at a junction this year, we are capable of moving on but will we? We could just as easy struggle if the wrong decisions are made this summer, if wrong decisions are made for purely thrifts sake then that'll be a disgrace. As ever, it's in the clubs hands. I've very little trust in them and could anyone blame me for that?

I'd add my voice to that too broadly speaking as it really is just be about the players lining up for the first game of the season vs those that finished last season for me (including Carroll, given the timing of his sale). All focus on the the net spend mirroring the Carroll money is a bit daft iyam.

We know when Ashley and Dekka are taking the piss so you're always alert to that flannel, but there's progress that can be made short of a somewhat irrelevant £35 million net spend 'target'.

I agree with the squad angle but my biggest unanswered question is a simple if Carroll hadn't been sold, does that mean we would have bought nobody at all this summer?

If the answer is that Ashley would have been "forced" to spend pretty much as he did last year and all the Carroll money means is that he hasn't had to subsidise the club then it goes back to the old question of how stupid he is for not going out on a bit of limb spending wise.

I agree with the squad angle but my biggest unanswered question is a simple if Carroll hadn't been sold, does that mean we would have bought nobody at all this summer?

If the answer is that Ashley would have been "forced" to spend pretty much as he did last year and all the Carroll money means is that he hasn't had to subsidise the club then it goes back to the old question of how stupid he is for not going out on a bit of limb spending wise.

For completeness, I guess that question has to become: in periods when the club is losing money, do the fans accept that the club should be spending no money on transfers?

I know this typically then reverts to the 'speculate to accumulate' reserve position, but it does become a bit of a 'cake-and-eat-it' argument if we're being honest. Ie Spend when you're making money. Spend when you're not making money. Spend when you're losing money.

Guest alex

Shame the journos aren't asking these questions like. Or tapping Ashley's phone.

Edited by alex

For completeness, I guess that question has to become: in periods when the club is losing money, do the fans accept that the club should be spending no money on transfers?

Or of course categorically refuse to accept that the club can ever lose money "what with the 3rd highest crowd in England".

Shame the journos aren't asking these questions like. Or tapping Ashley's phone.

Looks like the NE journos are too thick to be able to hack LardAsh, Dekka and Parsnip's fones, or they would know exactly who we are after and what the real state of play is.

Another striker is important, but I'd like to know from the folk who watched the team live last season their thoughts on another CB. Collo, by all accounts, is good but what about Williamson and S.Taylor? Do we need another, quality, CB brought in as well?

Guest alex

Looks like the NE journos are too thick to be able to hack LardAsh, Dekka and Parsnip's fones, or they would know exactly who we are after and what the real state of play is.

Another striker is important, but I'd like to know from the folk who watched the team live last season their thoughts on another CB. Collo, by all accounts, is good but what about Williamson and S.Taylor? Do we need another, quality, CB brought in as well?

Definitely imo.

the issue isn't really spending all the £35m, it's making sure that if a key player is sold, he's adequately replaced. and that the squad depth is improved. i have no faith at all that the muppets in charge will do this but if they were able to do it while only spending 10-20m net then we would all be happy. they don't need to feed us this bullshit about the 35m being reinvested on the training ground and agents' fees.

Guest alex

Watch Enrique go near the end of the window then be blamed for not allowing enough time for an adequate replacement to be brought in.

Regarding the defence, last year we struggled as Willo had never played at this level before and struggled at times. Saylor is constantly picking up injuries and Campbell allegedly picked and chose when he wasnted to play. Colo is mint, but there's no way the club will give him the contract he deserves because of his wage.

Perch is looking to get out, so Pardew must have a lot of faith in Tavernier & Kadar.

Watch Enrique go near the end of the window then be blamed for not allowing enough time for an adequate replacement to be brought in.

*WEEP WEEP*.. Prediction tracker ...*WEEP*

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?showtopic=30605

Forgot about that. I notice CT has Barton down as captain and never playing for us again :lol:

Glad my prediction on CT's Season Ticket credentials havn't been added to the prediction tracker.

Forgot about that. I notice CT has Barton down as captain and never playing for us again :lol:

:rolleyes:

How is this judged by the way? Is it purely the number of predictions you get right or the percentage of predictions made that you get right?

Because CT has a history of predicting diametrically opposed outcomes doesn't he?

:rolleyes:

How is this judged by the way? Is it purely the number of predictions you get right or the percentage of predictions made that you get right?

Because CT has a history of predicting diametrically opposed outcomes doesn't he?

Within the hour.

the issue isn't really spending all the £35m, it's making sure that if a key player is sold, he's adequately replaced. and that the squad depth is improved. i have no faith at all that the muppets in charge will do this but if they were able to do it while only spending 10-20m net then we would all be happy. they don't need to feed us this bullshit about the 35m being reinvested on the training ground and agents' fees.

Yes, they do. It never stops at just one lie. They lied to us about Carroll not being sold, so then they had to lie to us about the 35m being fully reinvested, so now they have to lie to us about all the ways they're reinvesting it.

If there had been any straight talk at any point during Ashley's reign, we wouldn't be in this position. They could've just told us bluntly, "Look, the club is skint, we need the money to cover operational costs and there's no guarantee we'll re-invest any of it" (if that were indeed the case.) It would've been hugely disappointing, but it would've been honest. Instead we've had so many lies about "we are not a selling club" and "we won't let young Geordie talent like Shearer, Gazza and Carrick (?) go to other clubs" that we now have to have more lies to explain why selling our local hero, no. 9 and best player doesn't make us a selling club.

We've had lies about managers, lies about players, lies about linked players, lies about the fans, lies about everything under the sun. Every so often these lies contradict each other and Happy Face updates his blog, but it makes no difference. The brutal truth is that Mike Ashley is not interested in seeing the club succeed, not interested in progressing, and not interested in running it as a club of our size and stature should be run (or indeed even how a club of Wigan's size and stature should be run.) He is only interested in making money off us, and anything else that comes out of his, his crony or his puppet's mouth is another lie.

No, the issue is identifying holes in the squad and filling them. Then there's the issue of whether the cash is there to be able to do it. With £30m in the pocket, it's an ideal time to address the shortfalls in the team. Most teams in the prem would just love to have that amount of cash in the hole ready for squad strengthening. Despite that, I do recognise the need for new towels at the training ground.