Alan Pardew defends Newcastle spending policy

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just can't believe how obsessed people are with getting rid of the 35 million.

It is crystal clear that Ashley could buy many popularity points by spending it all tomorrow on Ronnie Biggs.

:lol:

Guest alex
I just can't believe how obsessed people are with getting rid of the 35 million.

It is crystal clear that Ashley could buy many popularity points by spending it all tomorrow on Ronnie Biggs.

Sorry to knock that straw man down but aren't people saying it's more about idenitifying what the squad needs than spending the £35m for the sake of it?

the issue isn't really spending all the £35m, it's making sure that if a key player is sold, he's adequately replaced. and that the squad depth is improved. i have no faith at all that the muppets in charge will do this but if they were able to do it while only spending 10-20m net then we would all be happy. they don't need to feed us this bullshit about the 35m being reinvested on the training ground and agents' fees.

Yes, they do. It never stops at just one lie. They lied to us about Carroll not being sold, so then they had to lie to us about the 35m being fully reinvested, so now they have to lie to us about all the ways they're reinvesting it.

If there had been any straight talk at any point during Ashley's reign, we wouldn't be in this position. They could've just told us bluntly, "Look, the club is skint, we need the money to cover operational costs and there's no guarantee we'll re-invest any of it" (if that were indeed the case.) It would've been hugely disappointing, but it would've been honest. Instead we've had so many lies about "we are not a selling club" and "we won't let young Geordie talent like Shearer, Gazza and Carrick (?) go to other clubs" that we now have to have more lies to explain why selling our local hero, no. 9 and best player doesn't make us a selling club.

We've had lies about managers, lies about players, lies about linked players, lies about the fans, lies about everything under the sun. Every so often these lies contradict each other and Happy Face updates his blog, but it makes no difference. The brutal truth is that Mike Ashley is not interested in seeing the club succeed, not interested in progressing, and not interested in running it as a club of our size and stature should be run (or indeed even how a club of Wigan's size and stature should be run.) He is only interested in making money off us, and anything else that comes out of his, his crony or his puppet's mouth is another lie.

That cant have been true initially, you'd only need a month of studying finance to clear that one up. If he was only interested in making money then he wouldnt have invested in a football club. A high street current account might have made better money in that time and when you've got £200m to spend you can command rates of return 5 or 6 times that rate with limited risk. So not true initially.

Then came Keegan and the collapse of the club. Then he did quite the opposite of what you say, he made decisions that led to him losing money. Quite what he thought he was doing in this time is anyone's guess but he offended all right thinking fans and then compounded it with insanely stupid decisions. A suspicion still lingers that he was happy to see us relegated to take a short term hit. So not really true during that period either but mainly by default since he sold Milner and N'Zogbia and would have made money on that if we'd stayed up.

Then during the championship season, our wage bill was somewhere north of 100% of our revenues, with operating expenses / running costs etc meaning we made a loss. Current estimates put this loss at around £20m and apparently he covered this. You can look at this payment in many ways, either as covering the costs of running the club or more intelligently in covering the wages of the players he did not sell. So not at all true during that period.

Evidence for his profiteering looking pretty shit so far.

Now since promotion, the picture is a little less clear. If you add up the spending in January 2010, Summer 2010 (throw in Ben Arfa = £15m?) then take this off £35m, then Ashley is up. But that ignores the £20m loss in the championship. We've still got some way to go this summer but an additional investment of £10, to 15m would mean that the club is putting money back in. This again would mean that your statement is not true.

Lets wait and see how it pans out.

who is that weird looking guy in your profile pic?

:rolleyes:

It's not about blasting all the cash on 1 or 2 superstars. All people want, I'd even include CT in this, is that we re-invest some of the 35m into a few players who can improve our squad. The way it's been pitched to us, by the club, is that we'll get 1 or 2 in. 1 or 2 Nickle-arse, 1 or 2. We were short on numbers last season and we'll be as short this.

I'd love us to have 20m left on Sept 1st as long as some money is invested in a couple of defence unlockers and a Centre Half. That's all anyone is asking for. Improve the squad with the cash we have, if we have some left at the end of August then all the better.

:lol:

who is that weird looking guy in your profile pic?

Fritzl's son.

They sold Bent and needed to replace him, paying less than £9m would mean that they had in no way replaced Bent.

Certainly seems to me that people think that it's better to use loads of money on shite than not to use loads of money.

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?showtopic=30371

Edited by Nick-Kielce-Poland

They sold Bent and needed to replace him, paying less than £9m would mean that they had in no way replaced Bent.

Certainly seems to me that people think that it's better to use loads of money on shite than not to use loads of money.

I take it you havn't read ANY of the above posts. :lol:

I take it you havn't read ANY of the above posts. :lol:

You are wrong, which is why I address the issue about whether or not people are asking Ashley to blast all the cash.

:rolleyes:

It's not about blasting all the cash on 1 or 2 superstars.

Edited by Nick-Kielce-Poland

donkey20oatie20image1.jpg

Nick-Kielce-Poland who do you think is the best strike-partnership in history, per pound spent? I am sure it is Koller and Baros.

pretty much lost his touch and lost a yard or two of pace when he broke his hip in 2009

Guest alex

Nick-Kielce-Poland who do you think is the best strike-partnership in history, per pound spent? I am sure it is Koller and Baros.

:lol: Look, I don't think you're all getting this. Someone insinuating Sunderland probably need to spend more than £9m to effectively replace one of the highest goalscorers in recent Premier League history means we're all obsessed with spending £35m on players this summer regardless of whether or not they are good enough. Got it?

The policy on paper sounds alreet. Scout Europe for fresh young talent, bring them in, nurture them along and push up the table. Of course, their actual policy involves spending fuck all money, selling anything that can get them some profit and keep the club afloat until someone is unfortunate enough to do business with them while taking over. Joy.

Alex, I'm not surprised you didn't include the actual quote, in your last comment.

That quote indicates clearly, that it is the price rather than the player, which is important to some people.

Yes but you literally can't see the difference between wanting money spent on strengthening the squad and wanting money spent for the sake of it.

It's all about the player, Nick. You get what you pay for. If you pay £5 for a shirt you get a shapeless, blue check horror. If you spend £40 you'll get a shirt that washes better, irons better and generally is better.

I've yet to see anyone say 'we have to spend 35m'. I have however seen people saying 'we need to improve the squad with the money from Carroll'. Two completely seperate points which you've combined into one.

Guest alex
Alex, I'm not surprised you didn't include the actual quote, in your last comment.

That quote indicates clearly, that it is the price rather than the player, which is important to some people.

Nick/JR, I think you're reading too much into what he said. However, you said:

Even allowing for hyperbole that's strawman stuff. If people were saying that, how come you had to quote someone from another thread talking about Sunderland's transfers rather than someone in this thread talking about how NUFC should spend the money?

This is how it is, Nick. The fans of United and every other club across the planet want to be entertained. Yes? To entertain and excite the aforementioned fans, they want to see in-form players at the top of their game. Yes? As it stands, taking into account how big football is in the North East, we have a decent team with an average squad.

When we sold Andy Carroll we gained £35m and the fans were told by Pardew 'Look, if the boy goes, then the money must be invested in the side, all of it'. Now, after 2 free signings and Cabaye we've got to 'understand it's cost the majority of the money'. This just rubbed salt into the Hughton wound which was still stinging like the malasian's hands who made your shirt. We struggled massively in parts last season, whilst having great games the next week. We need a stronger squad who can remain consistent throughout the season.

We could gamble on frees and unknown quantitys or we could show the fans a little bit of intent by saying 'Look, never again will we be given £35m for one player, so we'll use this money to take us to the next level'.

You may see how on the surface, it does appear that this money has disappeared into the club. Nobody's saying sign Jackie Ronalmessi for £20m but a £4m bid for M'Bengue and a couple of highly rated others, with the stats to back them up, would do most of us.

You just don't get it, maaaaaaan.

You may see how on the surface, it does appear that this money has disappeared into the club. Nobody's saying sign Jackie Ronalmessi for £20m but a £4m bid for M'Bengue and a couple of highly rated others, with the stats to back them up, would do most of us.

You just don't get it, maaaaaaan.

But people totally ignore wages for players. The wage bill must be somewhere around 45 million, or even more. Whether or not people think that they can just pretend the wage bill doesn't exist, the fact remains that it does.

And when you have finished telling me I'm spouting Ashey propaganda, then ask yourself, if my Ashley propaganda is true or not.