Alan Pardew defends Newcastle spending policy

Campbell £10k

Kugi £5k

Nolan £40k

Caroll £30k

If they gave Campbell more than that last season then we definitely have him and Smith to blame as the Nolan / Barton problems would reprsent a change in policy from when Campbell was awared his contract. I'd say nowhere more than £20k max for him.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Campbell £10k

Kugi £5k

Nolan £40k

Caroll £30k

If they gave Campbell more than that last season then we definitely have him and Smith to blame as the Nolan / Barton problems would reprsent a change in policy from when Campbell was awared his contract. I'd say nowhere more than £20k max for him.

£35,000 p/w

Campbell £10k

Kugi £5k

Nolan £40k

Caroll £30k

£35,000 p/w

I know Barney, i did a quick google myself. However, i dont take a figure dropped into an article like that as strong evidence. Its all we have in most cases but i doubt they paid what he was after because he wanted to move to the NE with his wife anyway.

As i said though, if they were willing to pay a 35 year old that money last season, then something has changed with Nolan etc this season. So, i'd be looking at Campbell and Smith and the supposedly near £100k a week they were getting (or £5.2m a year) being literally pissed up a wall and start to think a bit more deeply about the transfer policy.

Campbell £10k

Kugi £5k

Nolan £40k

Caroll £30k

£35,000 p/w

I know Barney, i did a quick google myself. However, i dont take a figure dropped into an article like that as strong evidence. Its all we have in most cases but i doubt they paid what he was after because he wanted to move to the NE with his wife anyway.

As i said though, if they were willing to pay a 35 year old that money last season, then something has changed with Nolan etc this season. So, i'd be looking at Campbell and Smith and the supposedly near £100k a week they were getting (or £5.2m a year) being literally pissed up a wall and start to think a bit more deeply about the transfer policy.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did pay him a big wage as the noises coming out of the club were that he was a huge mistake. Lesson learned perhaps?

Campbell £10k

Kugi £5k

Nolan £40k

Caroll £30k

£35,000 p/w

It wouldn't surprise me if they did pay him a big wage as the noises coming out of the club were that he was a huge mistake. Lesson learned perhaps?

I read that as justifying the Hughton decision but if they were paying him that much, there is definitely a shift this year.

As i've said before, its the business philosophy of low margins. No resource is under-deployed or over-paid for. If you compete in a highly commoditised market (high volume / low price) you follow this religously or die.

Not saying i agree with it or its what i would do but i can certainly see the idea.

I don't think any of us realistically expect us to spend the whole 35m on transfer fees. It'll be hard to swallow them pocketing the bulk of it while trying to fob us off saying the rest of it went on wages and the training ground. I think if they spent 20m or so on transfer fees most of us would accept it without kicking off too much.

I think anywhere from £10 to £15m net would be acceptable. However, the most important thing is that if Enrique does go they have replacement (e.g. M'Bengue) and that they bring at least one more striker in that looks capable of getting 15+ goals. If that happens, with no else leaving then i dont really care what the net spend is. There will be people complaining but they will be the same people who get lost in the financial discussions and claim that they dont care about finances, only the football. The inherent contradiction will be lost on them too.

the only acceptable thing Chez is losing a player and signing a better one, or other better players to improve the team mate.

That is all that matters.

This is how it is, Nick. The fans of United and every other club across the planet want to be entertained. Yes? To entertain and excite the aforementioned fans, they want to see in-form players at the top of their game. Yes? As it stands, taking into account how big football is in the North East, we have a decent team with an average squad.

When we sold Andy Carroll we gained £35m and the fans were told by Pardew 'Look, if the boy goes, then the money must be invested in the side, all of it'. Now, after 2 free signings and Cabaye we've got to 'understand it's cost the majority of the money'. This just rubbed salt into the Hughton wound which was still stinging like the malasian's hands who made your shirt. We struggled massively in parts last season, whilst having great games the next week. We need a stronger squad who can remain consistent throughout the season.

We could gamble on frees and unknown quantitys or we could show the fans a little bit of intent by saying 'Look, never again will we be given £35m for one player, so we'll use this money to take us to the next level'.

You may see how on the surface, it does appear that this money has disappeared into the club. Nobody's saying sign Jackie Ronalmessi for £20m but a £4m bid for M'Bengue and a couple of highly rated others, with the stats to back them up, would do most of us.

You just don't get it, maaaaaaan.

:lol:

I don't think any of us realistically expect us to spend the whole 35m on transfer fees. It'll be hard to swallow them pocketing the bulk of it while trying to fob us off saying the rest of it went on wages and the training ground. I think if they spent 20m or so on transfer fees most of us would accept it without kicking off too much.

I think anywhere from £10 to £15m net would be acceptable. However, the most important thing is that if Enrique does go they have replacement (e.g. M'Bengue) and that they bring at least one more striker in that looks capable of getting 15+ goals. If that happens, with no else leaving then i dont really care what the net spend is. There will be people complaining but they will be the same people who get lost in the financial discussions and claim that they dont care about finances, only the football. The inherent contradiction will be lost on them too.

the only acceptable thing Chez is losing a player and signing a better one, or other better players to improve the team mate.

That doesnt look likely with Enrique does it :lol: Its a shame but we wont be the only team who loses a player like him this summer. If this lad from Swansea is his replacement (despite what the club are saying) i dont think it will be acceptable. Someone like M'Bengue might be but his price means that is unlikely.

Enrique is going to be hard to bear no matter who comes in really as its probably as much a reflection of his opinion of people running the club as it is his ambition to play in the champions league.

Edited by ChezGiven

That doesnt look likely with Enrique does it :lol: Its a shame but we wont be the only team who loses a player like him this summer. If this lad from Swansea is his replacement (despite what the club are saying) i dont think it will be acceptable. Someone like M'Bengue might be but his price means that is unlikely.

Enrique is going to be hard to bear no matter who comes in really as its probably as much a reflection of his opinion of people running the club as it is his ambition to play in the champions league.

It was inevitable within an hour of Chris Hughtons departure. He knew, as well as we did, that when we sacked Hughton it had to be someone who had experience at the top. When Pardew came in he must've been pissing himself.

Best all-round left back we've had for years. You'd have to go back to Bez to find anyone anything like him and I'd say technically he's miles ahead of where Bez was. IMO, he's the best player we have at the club and if was in a longer term contract would be the most valuable.

Clichy going to Manchester City for £7m doesn't leave me with much hope of getting more than £5m for Jose.

If we sell him for anywhere near that, then pay more for Naylor I'll be, like everyone else I'd hope, be fucking disgusted. I'd seriously rather play Shane Ferguson than pay big money for Naylor. He might be young, Ferguson, but he's got a canny bit about him (just ask CT!!!!) and will only improve with the experience. His size may be an issue. Looks like he needs a good plate of mince and dumplings.

I still think we should be in for that young Spanish left back at Bolton (Marcos Alonso ), he looked like a young version of Enrique when we played them.

btw considering our owner's love of bargains, why weren't we in for Elmander when he was released by Bolton?

Well, I knew fuck all about Enrique when we signed him, so unless there's another gem out there I certainly doubt he'll be replaced with similar or better.

I remember Fat Sam saying that there are very few quality left-fulls knocking about that are good enough to compete at the level required.

I'd be surprised if we could get better than him, just because he's so good.

We definitely can't mate. :lol:

Second only to Ashley Cole iyam. And if he tried to play a bit less football with it in defensive areas of the pitch and saved that solely for the counter attacking then I'd say on balance he'd be on a par with Cole for overall value.

Definitely won't get better.

(And Beresford wasn't that good really much as I liked the guy).

Guest alex

Made worse / more annoying by Simpson, Taylor and Williamson being shit in comparison. I'd also be interested to see who Colocinni tries to play football with at the back if Jose goes, assuming he's not away as well.

Second only to Ashley Cole iyam. And if he tried to play a bit less football with it in defensive areas of the pitch and saved that solely for the counter attacking then I'd say on balance he'd be on a par with Cole for overall value.

Only got caught out against ManUtd(a) last year, iirc. I appreciate himself and Colo trying to play it out of trouble in an attempt to start an attack. One of the genuinely positive and entertaining parts of our play.

These Entertainers glasses are rose tinted. :rolleyes:

Look how strong Jose is. The thing that goes unnoticed, well maybe it does, is that often Right wingers would be at the left back when they try to shepherd the ball out of play. They barely even both when against Enrique as he becomes as wide as the touchline and the edge of the box. No way past him with the strength he has and his positional awareness.

He'll actually be one of them players I tell my son about when he's abit older.

The Bull is dead, long live the Bull. Think I'm actually a little bit huckle for him. ;)

Made worse / more annoying by Simpson, Taylor and Williamson being shit in comparison. I'd also be interested to see who Colocinni tries to play football with at the back if Jose goes, assuming he's not away as well.

Theres definitely three levels of player (at least) in our back four like which is a bit weird to say the least. Two absolute international class players alongside the likes of (lower Prem) S Taylor, Simpson (Championship) Willo, (Dog and Duck) Perch. The younguns I'm not bothering assessing as it's way too early.

Squad players need to be top Championship level at the very least but we've had regular starters who are no better than that.

Only got caught out against ManUtd(a) last year, iirc. I appreciate himself and Colo trying to play it out of trouble in an attempt to start an attack. One of the genuinely positive and entertaining parts of our play.

I think it's great overall, I just think theres times when it's not suitable and something like vs Man U would be one match where you knocked it on the head for 90 minutes. For instance I don't think Liverpool would let him do it. At the end of the day though, it's precisely because he's so talented/comfortable on the ball that he carries it. He could play in any midfield if he'd followed that path instead.

Jose Enrique is a class footballer, but Allardyce destroyed his confidence, but there's rose tinted glasses with him too. He was poor in 07/08, and he was even worse in our relegation season, but there are genuine excuses - young lad, new city, new style of play, new country, struggling team, but I'll say this, we can afford to lose a top class left black and replace him with a decent one, it's more important to eventually replace Barton with someone of equal calibre imo, and certainly we need a top class striker.

These Entertainers glasses are rose tinted. :rolleyes:

Look how strong Jose is. The thing that goes unnoticed, well maybe it does, is that often Right wingers would be at the left back when they try to shepherd the ball out of play. They barely even both when against Enrique as he becomes as wide as the touchline and the edge of the box. No way past him with the strength he has and his positional awareness.

The Bull is dead, long live the Bull. Think I'm actually a little bit huckle for him. ;)

;)

Nah I agree with all of that. He's in that class of player where theres certain types of tackle/passages of play that you don't see him engaged in at all because he simply doesn't give the attacker the option.

That and he then gets the ball up the pitch. It'll be a fucking massive wrench.

I still think we should be in for that young Spanish left back at Bolton (Marcos Alonso ), he looked like a young version of Enrique when we played them.

btw considering our owner's love of bargains, why weren't we in for Elmander when he was released by Bolton?

I think that Marcos Alonso's in jail in Spain because of a fatal car accident from what I can remember

Enrique's gonna be a bigger miss than some people realise, he's a complete LB and the partnership he has with Colo and Jonas is quality, so many times he and Colo have got us out of a pickle at the back and then him and Jonas relieving pressure/counter-attacking has been massive for us and has been the biggest part of our play aswell as Barton's distribution from deep

But say we replace him with M'bengue wont he be off to the African Nations along with Tiote and Ba? And if so, that is gonna leave our squad with a huge hole in it come January time

We definitely can't mate. ;)

These Entertainers glasses are rose tinted. ;)

The Bull is dead, long live the Bull. Think I'm actually a little bit huckle for him. :icon_lol:

:lol::rolleyes:

If you seen his lass, that would knock you back in the right direction though.