Press Association: Forest Approach for Routledge

Nottingham Forest have made an approach to Newcastle for winger Wayne Routledge.

New Forest boss Steve McClaren is keen to add the 26-year-old midfielder to his squad for next season's npower Championship promotion push.

Routledge, who played a significant role in the Magpies' return to the Barclays Premier League after joining the club from QPR for an undisclosed fee in January last year, spent the second half of the last campaign on loan back at Loftus Road.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...l#ixzz1RQE2sm23

If I'm honest, with the squad as it is (more outgoings, very few incomings), I'd honestly keep him around for some pacey options off the bench. But he'll be away.

3 Championship medals in 3 years would be Football Trivia-tastic

I'd keep him fwiw

Edited by The Fish

Keep. We'd get pennies for him at best and we don't need to sell. We could've used him in the second half of last season at several junctures...I'm thinking of the game against Bolton where R. Taylor played right wing and was sent off for a dreadful two-footed tackle. Had Routledge played instead of Raylor, I think we would've won that game.

Pardew doesn't rate him I don't think. It'd be best for his career if he just left and built himself up again at a club where he'll play week in, week out.

When he came on at Wigan last season he made their left back (forgot who it was) have a torrid time. He's one of the only players we had last season with any pace. Defenders hate pace running at them with the ball but I assume that's counter acted by the fact they know even if he passes them his final ball is absolute toilet.

He's about 28 now, eh? Good luck to the lad. Sure Paul Wyn will echo my sentiments.

Pardew doesn't rate him I don't think. It'd be best for his career if he just left and built himself up again at a club where he'll play week in, week out.

When he came on at Wigan last season he made their left back (forgot who it was) have a torrid time. He's one of the only players we had last season with any pace. Defenders hate pace running at them with the ball but I assume that's counter acted by the fact they know even if he passes them his final ball is absolute toilet.

He's about 28 now, eh? Good luck to the lad. Sure Paul Wyn will echo my sentiments.

If you're thinking Wigan away, he was Routledge at his most frustrating. He had the freedom of the right wing and the beating of his man each time and just couldn't work out what to do.

If you're thinking Wigan away, he was Routledge at his most frustrating. He had the freedom of the right wing and the beating of his man each time and just couldn't work out what to do.

Yeah, Wigan away. He petrified their left back but couldn't cross a road nevermind a decent ball in. I honestly believe if someone worked on his crossing, throughballs, final balls etc he'd have made it well here.

Infuriating watching fast players with the beating of their man yet when they have the opportunity to put a ball in they turn back inside and play a safety into Tiote.

Ultimately, he's a decent player but his final ball has been the tipping point for his career.

Yeah, Wigan away. He petrified their left back but couldn't cross a road nevermind a decent ball in. I honestly believe if someone worked on his crossing, throughballs, final balls etc he'd have made it well here.

Infuriating watching fast players with the beating of their man yet when they have the opportunity to put a ball in they turn back inside and play a safety into Tiote.

Ultimately, he's a decent player but his final ball has been the tipping point for his career.

To use a quote from another poster, he's a fast spastic.

Good impact sub as he's a decent dribbler with loads of pace. No chance his crossing will improve at his age though. He's worked under coaches at Fulham, Spurs, Palace, Villa, ourselves, QPR and English youth levels and hasn't gotten his act together. Dyer couldn't cross either, so SBR just had him hit the by-line and cut it back.

I'd keep him. Agree his crossing is shite but he's pacey and can help stretch tired defences. He looked quite dangerous playing through the middle for qpr. He could be a second striker option off the bench if nothing else.

2nd rate player, but it says absolutely everything that under the current state of affairs to even consider him to be worth keeping.

It appears nobody has any confidence he would be replaced with better, despite having all the Carroll cash ?

yea same here with the fat twat not bringing many in id keep him for now maybe until january at least then flog him and ameobi and best to

• 2 weeks later...