Storing DVD's and Films on a PC

LeazesMag

I want to store some films - or to be more specific - documentaries and rare clips - on my PC, and backup external hard drive. Some of these are film length ie take up an entire DVD disk lasting 2 hours.

I have recorded them from the TV onto a video, they are about Elton John, Beatles, Rock and Roll Years etc etc.

What is the best way to copy these from a disk onto my hard drive, in such a way that I can copy them back onto another disk if I ever have to do it ?

I have a copy of Nero, a copy of Roxio on my PC, and I also use DVD Shrink to copy DVD's.

Also - how do I copy these back onto another disk, in the way if you have an mp3 or wav music file on your hard drive you use the .exe file to execute the transfer of data ? What sort of file is the executable file ?

cheers Ant.

I'll go through all of that , the disks I especially want to back up are the TV documentaries though, copied from a video. They are about Sgt Pepper, Elton John, episodes of the Rock and Roll years, things you can't buy in the shops, camcorder recordings of my daughter as she grew up etc, that I don't want to lose.

I want them on the PC and on a backup external hard drive.

Leazes, there's a chance someone else has already done the work for you on these things. You should stick the names of the documentaries up on here and I (and possibly others) will try to find links so you can download them rather than go through hours doing this.

Leazes, there's a chance someone else has already done the work for you on these things. You should stick the names of the documentaries up on here and I (and possibly others) will try to find links so you can download them rather than go through hours doing this.

I've looked for the Sgt Pepper documentary, the Rock and Roll Years. Can't find them. Anyway, how do you copy a download from youtube into something on a DVD you can watch on TV ?

I'm 56 man !!!!!! This sort of technology is for you young 'uns

:D

Edited by LeazesMag

You posted it ages ago Leazes.

You cock fiend. :D

I know I did.

Do you have some sort of problem ?

I've looked for the Sgt Pepper documentary, the Rock and Roll Years. Can't find them. Anyway, how do you copy a download from youtube into something on a DVD you can watch on TV ?

I'm not taking about youtube, you helmet!

I'm not taking about youtube, you helmet!

I might know everything there is to know about NUFC, but I freely concede that you young 'uns knaa more than me about this sort of thing.

Where do you find it then ?

Although I just want to store this stuff in case owt happens to the DVD's so I can copy them again.

56????

I thought you were like late 60's+ i was saying earlier "fair play to LM for having a bash at technology my parents/gran would be useless" :D

Fck sake you've just ruined the illusion you're like the oul lad from steptoe and son but at a pc.

I look even younger :)

Leazes, the best way would be to buy something like Sorenson Squeeze, which is a professional encoding application - it's not cheap.

Actually thinking about it, if you are just using dvds you have authored, merely copy the video folder file off the dvd.

So place dvd in your computer drive > open my computer > right click Explore > copy the video_ts file to your HDD.

Now the best way to manage it is create a folder named after the program and then drop the video_ts file into it, don't change the name of the video_ts folder.

Also if you want to watch the file on your computer just go into the video_ts folder, find the largest .VOB file > right click open. Chances are a window will open and say it doesn't know what application to use, select the option to choose what application to open the file with > select windows media player (or whatever video player you use) also tick the box that says open all these files with this application and you should be right.

.VOB files are actually MPEG2 files, don't do this but for those in the know if you actually just change the file name to .mpg it's already an mpeg file.

btw all of the above won't work on with commercial pressed copywrite protected dvds

Leazes, you might also be interested in this video to dvd maker?

It's a low cost encoding hardware (usb) for converting analogue video to your computer.