Shola Ameobi

LeazesMag

He never had the consistent striking skills of Alan Shearer but he was a legend (of sorts) at the club in his own right. Loyalty such as he displayed is rare these days and he was one of us through and through. I hope they consider giving him an ambassadorial role at the end of his playing career, maybe he could help with the African side of recruitment for future generations (and before the pc police jump on me I mean as in his experience playing for Nigeria).

Edited by TheMoog

Disappointing end to a career that started so brightly with those goals in famous European nights.

Never came close to fulfilling his potential. On his day, unplayable and a defender's nightmare. Too often an air kicking donkey, regrettably.

He never had the striking skills of Alan Shearer but he was a legend at the club in his own right. Loyalty such as he displayed is rare these days and he was one of us through and through. I hope they consider giving him an ambassadorial role at the end of his playing career, maybe he could help with the African side of recruitment for future generations (and before the pc police jump on me I mean as in his experience playing for Nigeria).

He barely has the striking skills of Alan Sugar.

He's away you dingbat.

Here's the news in a format you'll remember;

" Shola Ameobi, who scored 7 goals against the mackems, is leaving NUFC, who are longtime rivals of sunderland, known as the mackems. "

Shola Ameobi is poised to end his 14-year career with Newcastle after being targeted by Hull boss Steve Bruce ahead of their first-ever European campaign.

As expected the Magpies haven’t offered the 32-year-old a new deal and the writing was on the wall after our final match of the season when Alan Pardew confirmed it would be his last game in black and white.

And his next destination looks likely to be that of the beaten FA Cup finalists with Bruce keen to utilise the Nigeria international’s European experience to his advantage when the Tigers compete in the Europa League next season.

We never thought a manager would cite that as a reason for adding Ameobi to their payroll but in reality he is the veteran of five Europa League campaigns (four of those in the old UEFA Cup format) and played in the Champions League under Sir Bobby Robson.

In fact many of Ameobi’s most memorable moments have come in European competition. Who can forget when both Alan Shearer and Craig Bellamy were injured for the Champions League clash at Bayer Leverkusen and he stepped up to score two goals in a 3-1 victory.

Not to mention his goal against Barcelona at the Nou Camp that same season. In fact he’s only second to Shearer (30) for goals scored in Europe having notched 15 times for us in continental competition.

Little wonder Bruce wants him on board.

Hope this makes things a bit clearer.

I forgot how much he beefed up in later years. He was all skin and bones in those early goals.

Nice video. Shows how capable he was of scoring great goals on his day.

Aye I enjoyed watching that. Amazing cos he looked much more mobile in the ealier videos, but at the time I thought he was slow as fuck - speaks more to how much he's slowed down rather than how quick he was at the time, cos he wasn't. Most of all it shows what you can do with a highlights reel video

Some good goals in that, inclined to agree with Gemmill about the wonders that can be done with a compilation video mind! I think it was Bobby Robson who summed up Shola the best when he said 'there's definitely something about Shola Ameobi, we're just not sure what it is yet.' Not sure if we will ever know tbh but he's toon through and through so aye, all the best big man.

Okay, cult hero is probably a better description for Shola, I've amended that last post ;) Still, I wonder if he'd have been more prolific if he'd been able to have more extended runs in the first team - let's face it we've had some right shite up front that haven't scored either but have been put in the team week in, week out. Anywho, thanks for the memories Big Sho, at least he cared for the club and was a real Toon fan as well.

It's funny because Shola has genuinely scored some of my favourite Toon goals ever but he's, if we're being honest, shite. But then he brings out performances where he's untouchable for 70 minutes. The man is a true enigma and they should build a statue of him so in 50 years, everyone else can struggle to tell their grandkids if he was shit or not.