Shola Ameobi

LeazesMag

Bigger bridge and Opera house admittedly Kin, what about your Norman keep and 17th century quayside architecture?

Yes, that is all well and good when there aren't any other selling points tbf which is the case for Newcastle. Sydney is about more than historical attractions. There is a certain buzz about the city which makes it known to be amongst the greatest cities in the world. A melding of cultures, food, wine, people, sport, theatre, lifestyle and weather. Not sure Newcastle can compete with that. In fact I know it can't. But be proud regardless my ex-pat friend. You have no other choice.

Infrastructure is. But I'm fairly confident Sydney shits all over Newcastle in every other department no problem.

We can get to a continent that matters within an hour from Newcastle.

We aren't as racist towards our indigenous people.

We are a lot less likely to develop skin cancer mind.

I quite liked Sydney, but it has an unusually high percentage of selfish obnoxious cunts living there, very keen to tell you just how great their life is and how well they are doing.

I'm sitting on the roof of an 1800s converted warehouse ( first £1million city centre flat below me), looking down river at the world famous riverscape, the Baltic Arts Centre, the Sage, and then looking down on the backs of the 1300s merchant houses ( Bessie Surtees etc) up to The Keep, the Blackgate, Greys Monument at the top of the finest Georgian street in the Uk, coming west I'm seeing SJP rising in the distance, and back down to Central station, stunning Victorian station that it is, past the remains of the City Walls by the Telegraph, and finally watching the Roman dig in the backyard of the building I'm on.

No culture here, carry on.

Never been to Sydney so i couldnt possibly judge, i was merely asking a question. Would contend the food comment.

Best cold water seafood in the world comes from around the shores of the North East and Scotland, certainly no cold water fish off the coast of Sydney worth mentioning. The top Michelin starred restaurants of France and Spain select their cold water seafood from the North Sea. A lot is exported but not all, a lot remains in the area.

Rain is good for grass, grass is good for cows, British beef farming has traditionally reared cows for quality not bulk. The best butcher in Paris in the 16th arrondisement sells only British beef, his beef comes a farmer called Tim Wilson in Yorkshire, 40 minutes south of Newcastle. Its the only type of beef on the menu at Le Beef Club, the butchers impossibly hip restaurant . You can have all this without vacuum packing it.

Just wanted to lay the food myth to rest because i've watched Australian masterchef.

The we come to the wine, am not a fan of your Shiraz at all, maybe because wine really does not like to travel but if you must give me a Shiraz, i want it expertly blended with Grenache, Mourvedre and a Cinsault. None of which grow that well down under. I do like your Sauvignon blancs, plucky little fuckers but they do lack sophistication. Much like you lot really.

To be fair, you go to a cafe in Sydney or pretty much anywhere in Australia you'll get a decent meal. Most UK cafes are absolutely terrible.

To be honest, if someone gave me the opportunity to go and live in Sydney tomorrow, I'd take it sight unseen.

Newcastle's alright, I have no desire to live anywhere else in the UK (except maybe Cornwall), but there's loads of places abroad that I'd pick over it. A number of which I've never actually been to.

Never been to Sydney so i couldnt possibly judge, i was merely asking a question. Would contend the food comment.

Best cold water seafood in the world comes from around the shores of the North East and Scotland, certainly no cold water fish off the coast of Sydney worth mentioning. The top Michelin starred restaurants of France and Spain select their cold water seafood from the North Sea. A lot is exported but not all, a lot remains in the area.

Rain is good for grass, grass is good for cows, British beef farming has traditionally reared cows for quality not bulk. The best butcher in Paris in the 16th arrondisement sells only British beef, his beef comes a farmer called Tim Wilson in Yorkshire, 40 minutes south of Newcastle. Its the only type of beef on the menu at Le Beef Club, the butchers impossibly hip restaurant . You can have all this without vacuum packing it.

Just wanted to lay the food myth to rest because i've watched Australian masterchef.

The we come to the wine, am not a fan of your Shiraz at all, maybe because wine really does not like to travel but if you must give me a Shiraz, i want it expertly blended with Grenache, Mourvedre and a Cinsault. None of which grow that well down under. I do like your Sauvignon blancs, plucky little fuckers but they do lack sophistication. Much like you lot really.

Well we disagree. Best seafood comes from around Hokkaido, Japan. Best scallops come from Tasmania, salmon isn't too bad down their either. Though the best oysters I've ever was in Brittany. But Australian oysters are hard to beat.

Granted, Scotland is highly revered for its seafood. Now obviously the French and Spanish (or any highly acclaimed Euro chef) would source their produce from the general vicinity so that isn't a surprise. In fact it is common sense and the most fiscally responsible.

Not sure where the beef argument you've brought up comes into it. But OK, whatever you say. :lol:

You've watched Aussie Masterchef, eh? Ah well, that makes you an expert on Aussie cuisine then. Does it ? :lol: No it doesn't.

Wine is up to the palete of the taster. The Margaret River and Adelaide Hills stuff is world renowned. So is Barossa Valley. Personally I head to the Hunter Valley (1 hour from Sydney) and get stuff that isn't commercial. Point is we produce our own here.

Try again.

You're welcome to your Japanese seafood, Ken. It fails my basic "Is it radioactive?" test, unfortunately.

I'd be a bit hesitant as well tbh, but besides that I'm glad that this has brought out genuine feeling and opinion out of people. :thumbup: