Virgin Media

LoveTheBobby

The thumbs up system is shite, not remotely specific. It randomly records breakfast time shows for me, for instance.

I rarely check the recommendations list of what's been automatically recorded apart from for sport tbf.

Installed earlier and so far very impressed. The Youtube feature's magic but pity it doesn't seem to be able to add videos to your playlists ?

HF , I know you've been onto a bit of 3d content - I'm only on basic TV package and only just discovered Eurosport 3d channel . Checked out a re-run of yesterday's diving there - bonkers .

Installed earlier and so far very impressed. The Youtube feature's magic but pity it doesn't seem to be able to add videos to your playlists ?

HF , I know you've been onto a bit of 3d content - I'm only on basic TV package and only just discovered Eurosport 3d channel . Checked out a re-run of yesterday's diving there - bonkers .

Annoying you can't get a 3d replay of the opening ceremony. That was mint. Like the tickertape was falling in our own living room.

Got a letter from Virgin yesterday to say our Sky Sports was going up. So looked into getting Sky. Sky was cheaper, but thats also going up in Sept.

Anyways, Sky deal was still better so went to speak to Virgin. Because we moved house in Feb we automatically agree to sign a new contract! So were tied in rather on a rolling contract. Cheeky cath words!

Theyre always flexible when contract is up, obviously to incentivise folk to stick around.

Having said that, mid contract, I've previously questioned what was paying them at times (compared to others on similar packages) and theyve sorted something out.

HHow much is SSports going up btw Wikko ? #premierleaguedealtopayfor

Exactly.

Its going up by £4 a month. If I could pay for Rugby League & Cycling then I would. I dont watch much footy at home now, I am either watching it at my old mans or a mates.

Canny hike that mind !

They never seem to explain rises beyond 'to continue the quality of our service' etc.

Certainly out of kilter with Joe Bloggs' incomes generally anyways.

I know when Virgin changed the terms of their packages a few months ago folk cited it as them renaging on their side of contract and could get out of their contract , might be an option to look into if you're keen to switch ?

• 1 month later...

Tonight the lights on the hub looked about right so I did a bit of messing and found that the bastards had reset it to factory defaults (including the local address) remotely. Phoned them again mainbly to ask them why the fuck they did it and got an Indian lass who putting politely was fucking clueless - "you can't set the IP address yourself sir, its set dynamically" - Me: "Not the WAN address the LAN address" Her: "No Sir you can't set it yourself". I decided to be patient but when she started telling me to forget wireless for a moment and see if I could find a cable to connect the modem to the PC I gave up.

Next time I'm going to sod politelness and ask them first off if they have a fucking clue.

Bastards did it again - rang them and went straight for the "I want to complain" - just about got past the fucker and he promised that his manager was going to ring me but they haven't so far.

I fancy another rant tomorrow.

• 9 years later...

On the topic of support, I'm with Plusnet. I noticed last week that my speeds had gone to shit, at times not even fast enough to stream on demand content.

I called them up on Thursday and within 60 seconds was talking to a human in England. Sixty seconds later they had diagnosed the fault and had an engineer booked to come out the following day. It's impossible to fault them on their customer support.

• Like 1

It's expensive isn't it? I was a Virgin user at my old address and never had any issues with it other than the bills. Can't get it here so with BT getting about 40 mbps. Hardly ever any outages so never had a reason to contact their technical help. Cheap mobile contracts from them too. Anyhow, this seems to be fine for my needs, all my IT issues tend to stem from devices themselves rather than my internet connection. Now we live in a world which has largely outgrown downloads (haven't we?), what do you need a 1 Gps connection for? Mega-ultra definition for your 16k telly and failing eyesight? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Renton said:

It's expensive isn't it? I was a Virgin user at my old address and never had any issues with it other than the bills. Can't get it here so with BT getting about 40 mbps. Hardly ever any outages so never had a reason to contact their technical help. Cheap mobile contracts from them too. Anyhow, this seems to be fine for my needs, all my IT issues tend to stem from devices themselves rather than my internet connection. Now we live in a world which has largely outgrown downloads (haven't we?), what do you need a 1 Gps connection for? Mega-ultra definition for your 16k telly and failing eyesight? 

tbh bt works extremely well. However there are a lot of rivers out there for 4k films which would be nice to utilise now and again. (Depending what deals they do).

Does 4k significantly change your experience? Genuine question, for me its at the limits of my eye resolution (I'm slightly long sighted) and I've never had any issues with just standard HD. Two caveats to this mind. First, I'm not in to comic book films where it would make much difference. Second, when I walk around the TV section of John Lewis, Fenwicks, and Currys I do think "wow!" at the quality of the images so maybe I am missing something.

Just now, Renton said:

Does 4k significantly change your experience? Genuine question, for me its at the limits of my eye resolution (I'm slightly long sighted) and I've never had any issues with just standard HD. Two caveats to this mind. First, I'm not in to comic book films where it would make much difference. Second, when I walk around the TV section of John Lewis, Fenwicks, and Currys I do think "wow!" at the quality of the images so maybe I am missing something.

Yeah, I think it makes a big difference and (I think) you get more Dolby atmos if it’s 4k quality.

Not sure if it’s a big as jump as sd to hd?

Also depends on the TV. 4k looks better on our Sony than it does on our LG

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

Depends on how far away from the TV you are tbh. 

Display Size, Resolution, and Ideal Viewing Distance | RGB Spectrum

Not to say 4k doesn't look "better" than 1080p when you're too close, but you dont get the full benefit. Also, hardly anything broadcasts 4k without charging you extortionate fees for the priviledge (Amazon video DOESN'T charge at the moment)

For the original question.

Virgin Media quality is great

Pricing is not great and they WILL fleece you year on year if you let them , increasing your prices. As per the screenshot above, everyone's parents I know have been fleeced into paying bills touching 100 quid a month , over the years.

I'm currently getting TV, phone and internet, for just the price of internet - because I told them the bills were too high and that I wanted rid of the phone and TV - they just let me keep it for free.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, scoobos said:

Depends on how far away from the TV you are tbh. 

Display Size, Resolution, and Ideal Viewing Distance | RGB Spectrum

Not to say 4k doesn't look "better" than 1080p when you're too close, but you dont get the full benefit. Also, hardly anything broadcasts 4k without charging you extortionate fees for the priviledge (Amazon video DOESN'T charge at the moment)

For the original question.

Virgin Media quality is great

Pricing is not great and they WILL fleece you year on year if you let them , increasing your prices. As per the screenshot above, everyone's parents I know have been fleeced into paying bills touching 100 quid a month , over the years.

I'm currently getting TV, phone and internet, for just the price of internet - because I told them the bills were too high and that I wanted rid of the phone and TV - they just let me keep it for free.

Aye, I’m only interested in the broadband tbh and a quick glance shows £25 a month for 100mb. (3 x faster than BT can offer for same money).