Virgin Media

LoveTheBobby

Not wanting to dilute the Sky thread etc. so who's on Virgin packages and what are they getting for their dollar ?

Been with them for years and been pretty good (mainly the unlimited broadband for streaming, downloads etc)

Having been with them for years and with chipping away here and there I'm pretty happy with the '3 for £30' deal.

Unlimited (L) broadband (states 100Mb connection speed in windows?!) ,

free local evenings and weekend calls,

Basic tv package with V+ box which includes the HD channels.

The above for £30 pcm .

Being picky , the V+ box isn't too good (anyone know what latest model is ?)

Also, has anyone got this Tivo carry on ? Read a bit about it and sounds like comes with a fair few teething problems at moment ?

btw the MSE site has dedicated threads for Virgin / Sky retention capers that's worth a look now and then in terms of knowing if getting a good deal, as once subscribed these things tend to 'drift' and they rarely 'come to you' as it were with revised/better value deals.

Being picky , the V+ box isn't too good (anyone know what latest model is ?)

Also, has anyone got this Tivo carry on ? Read a bit about it and sounds like comes with a fair few teething problems at moment ?

I've ended up on a bit of a rant here like, but..

We had this one for a long time:-

virginmedia_600.jpg

It was a fucking nightmare. We had it replaced about three times but they were all the same. Really really fucking slow to respond and if you watched anything over an hour long, getting it to come back to life again afterwards was a joke. Accessing the on demand stuff was crap aswell, used to just hang all the time. I was ready to drop kick the last one out the window.

Then a few months ago I was looking about on the net and realised they had started installing this Samsung one for new customers:-

Samsung_Virgin_Media_V_2B_HD_Box_s.jpg

I rang them up and told them we were going to fuck the telly off because we were sick of the crap boxes. They sent an engineer out as standard to replace it and when he got here I basically told him we didn't want another one of the old ones. Eventually after a fair bit of persuasion he gave us one of the new ones.

Miles better. Instant response and doesn't have half as many problems.

Their on demand stuff pisses on Sky IMO, but I still think Sky are ahead of the game when it comes to TV. For now. Sky are about to change thier package structure aswell so that there's only 2 basic packages, and then the two premium ones, and I reckon when that happens it might sway a few people thier way.

As for the broadband though.. if it's available in your area I wouldn't look past it to be honest. I've had it since Telewest first launched it and in all that time (must be over 11 years now?) it's been off twice. One of those times was a netowrk problem, and the other was because the neighbour put his shovel through the cable when he was gardening.

I've used most of the popular ADSL packages available because of the job I used to do, and while they're good when they work, I think Virgin's is more reliable. To be honest there's probably less can go wrong with Cable, or if it does it's a bit easier to get fixed anyway.

Edited by WubbleUC

Can't get Sky here, ostensibly because of being in a conservation area, hence no satellite dishes allowed (though I have my doubts), so it's Virgin all the way. XL TV package with HD and 50MB broadband (I think). Same reservations about TiVo though, no rush on that front! Otherwise can't really fault the service or the value. Mind, I'd agree that Sky are a bit ahead on the TV front. Getting ESPN in with the package is canny though.

Can't get Sky here, ostensibly because of being in a conservation area, hence no satellite dishes allowed (though I have my doubts), so it's Virgin all the way. XL TV package with HD and 50MB broadband (I think). Same reservations about TiVo though, no rush on that front! Otherwise can't really fault the service or the value. Mind, I'd agree that Sky are a bit ahead on the TV front. Getting ESPN in with the package is canny though.

Aye. I suppose it's all about what you want really, innit? If I had the choice of both, and was after loads of on demand stuff I'd go for Virign. If I wanted more HD channels and the like, I'd go for Sky. Like I say though, again if the choice was there, for me the broadband would be Virgin without question.

WubbleUC - This was what I was getting at cheers. Got that box in your first pic , and its clearly a leftover of the Russian Space Program . Sluggish, clunky crap. I'll be giving them a call to see if can get the newer hardware. As said by Meenzer, can't fault them at all and been with them since Telewest too and (more by accident than anything) got the decent deal with them. What you pay for your deal Meenzer ?

Talking with lad at work here who has Sky , a like for like (near enough) deal as I currently have with Sky would be £70+ :rolleyes: .

Dearest doctor .

Aye, some of it's all right like. Though I'm put off by the bamps who've got into £30k+ debt buying stuff they don't need and want tips on how to shaft their creditors.

Gotta sharpen ya pencil in this era :rolleyes:

The MSE site a good research resource before entering into the bartering

MSE?

Money Saving Expert

Have a look for stuff like 'Virgin/Sky retention' threads .

It's got the lot man.

Aye, Meenzer know what you mean all the sad twats' banners as well with "Ive saved X, now I owe X, debt free by X" . . Like anyone gives a fuck . To paraphrase Happy Face "Take it to Twitter"

Hm, I think ours has 80 too aye. HD stuff takes up about 4x as much space, if it's anything to do with that? If not then I'd be tempted to watch the important stuff then give it a full wipe/reset, but obviously that's probably a bit dramatic...

Hm, I think ours has 80 too aye. HD stuff takes up about 4x as much space, if it's anything to do with that? If not then I'd be tempted to watch the important stuff then give it a full wipe/reset, but obviously that's probably a bit dramatic...

The wire is off FXhd, that explains it :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Gave them a call other day to see how much to upgrade current basic tv pack to next one up M+ (?) simply so can get SSN again ahead of Wednesday . Went straight to retentions and they upgraded at no extra cost . Just agree to stay with them for another 12 months but can up/downgrade at any time in that period. Again, their customer service spot on .

Looked into the Tivo gig recently, said they could waive installation charge but was still 50 rips for the hardware and had to take on 12 months with the XL tv package . No can do just now . Might check again in 6 months or so.

What did you say to get the M+ for nowt?!

Just went to retentions straight off ("thinking of leaving us option") asked how much to bump up as only after SSN and they just handed over the goods . Get Film4HD and Sky1 with m+ too. Might be because I was outside of 12 month rolling contract and as said and was sweetner to stay for another year .

While you're on - you using that paid stream site this season (sure it was yourself onto it from end last season) ?

I've got Virgin, moved from Sky, I've got TiVo in my front room, 50mb broadband, calls and a V+HD upstairs in the bedroom, sky simply can't offer me a package that compares, their Broadband is a joke (its just LLU from easynet) their Boxes aren't as good and they don't have anything that can touch TiVo, which is f**king awesome it really is

I priced it up, the closest Sky can get would cost me just over £120 a month (and thats still not as good as TiVo and with shite internet) where as with Virgin I'm paying less than half that (although with skys new prices that could change but I can't see it getting close to Virgin like)

Forgot to mention, I am on the XL package and I take all movies and sports

Edited by sandman02uk

Had Virgin Media when i lived in plymouth 6 months ago. The 50meg broadband was brilliant and the on demand from virgin was excellent - select what you want and it played instantly, full iplayer and random other stuff could pretty much always find something to watch.

Moved house and no longer in a cabled area so have sky and its crap in comparison. Their on demand is years behind virgins, as it uses the internet to download stuff so takes ages... End up just using pikey bit torrents as its faster and has more selection.

The only real benefit of sky is that the picture quality is better then what I had with virgin. Still got some old virgin V+ boxes and 50meg broadband modem kicking around as virgin never picked them up.