Leon Best

Christmas Tree

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Shola at Hartlepool in pre season 4 years ago and he looked like Pele. I think people judging Best in a friendly against a non league team need to give their head a shake tbh. Bar his hattrick he's been pretty hopeless for us since he arrived. He's a hard worker and seems like a nice bloke but that means fuck all when it comes to playing football.

I saw Shola at Hartlepool in pre season 4 years ago and he looked like Pele. I think people judging Best in a friendly against a non league team need to give their head a shake tbh. Bar his hattrick he's been pretty hopeless for us since he arrived. He's a hard worker and seems like a nice bloke but that means fuck all when it comes to playing football.

Sorry but that's bollocks, did you not see the Arsenal game for a start?

He was absolutely shit in that game, far from a nuisance. Was offside more times than inzaghi...

I don't think anyone is claiming he's great, simply that currently, he would be a canny third choice striker.

I said that based on the thought that we are going to play with a one main striker with Ben Arfa playing off him. So that would leave the 2nd choice striker on the bench and then Best.

The luck we are having trying to land a striker though probably means we will start with Best against Arsenal!!

He was absolutely shit in that game, far from a nuisance. Was offside more times than inzaghi...

and scored two legitimate goals, but yeah absolutely shite. It was only Arsenal after all...

They'll never get 4 mill for him (that's the asking price I think?), so it's likely he'll be staying. Maybe his relatively young age is an upside that Ameobi and Lovenkrands don't have. I've written him off, but I did the same with Tomasson, Saha and Rossi...

and scored two legitimate goals, but yeah absolutely shite. It was only Arsenal after all...

I'm sorry but I can't take you seriously arguing that Best is anything other than hopeless

He's crap for me like. He has absolutely no anticipation at all, he reacts instead and although he is reasonably pacey, he's not fast enough for that.

The only good game he had for us was West Ham and they were so fucking hopeless it was unreal. I was amazed he scored against Birmingham after he was so inept against Blackburn the week before.

He (just like Shola, Lovenkrands and Ranger) is a championship player which is why he isn't good enough for us.

He has absolutely no anticipation at all

This is what really makes a quality striker stand out for me and where Best really falls short.

And the argument that he is better than our other strikers just highlights why we so badly need to sign another one.

Correct. Did he not see the Arsenal game? ;)

DK's analysis of him in this thread is absolutely spot on as well.

Edited by alex

We were unhappy with signing him when we were still in the Championship, ffs. Now he's supposed to be a key part of our attacking lineup? One good game against a Championship-level team (West Ham) and a flukey goal against Arsenal don't mean he's any less shit then he was then.

He's better than Lovenkrands and Ranger though, so I'm by no means saying let's get rid, but let's not try to convince ourselves that he's any better than a backup player either. We'll sink like a stone if we try to pin our hopes on Leon Best.

We were unhappy with signing him when we were still in the Championship, ffs. Now he's supposed to be a key part of our attacking lineup? One good game against a Championship-level team (West Ham) and a flukey goal against Arsenal don't mean he's any less shit then he was then.

He's better than Lovenkrands and Ranger though, so I'm by no means saying let's get rid, but let's not try to convince ourselves that he's any better than a backup player either. We'll sink like a stone if we try to pin our hopes on Leon Best.

;) Isnt that what everyone else has said.

Under normal circumstances, I would say get rid. Another season in the PL will only see his stock fall whereas (purely going off the stats last year) he has an appearance of someone decent at PL level and therefore, a good championship striker. Having seen him play in both divisions I don't think he's either. It's canny sad that he's only viewed as decent in relation to what we have. Except by Gejon who seems to see something others don't. Nick doesn't count, obviously.

a half decent 3rd or 4th choice striker, nothing more. what we don't want is to be relying on him and shola for goals for the majority of the season. this is likely to happen if we don't get another striker in as ba will no doubt be injured for a chunk of it.

Edited by Dr Gloom

How could he have been "far from a nuisance" in a game where he scores two and I am pretty sure he set one up? :D:lol:

I am not saying he is brilliant or anything btw, I am just saying he would be a decent 4th choice and we won't be purchasing enough forwards to make him any lower down the pecking order unfortunately.

Edited by Gejon

Leon Best came back in January - he proved a lot of people wrong, and they shut up. Then he got injured, and after a few months, people began to forget about how excellent he'd been, and then the same people who seemed intent on putting him down, crawled back out of the woodwork. Oh well, he'll just have to come back and prove them wrong a second time.