Newcastle v Arsenal Sat 13th August Kick Off 5.30pm

Christmas Tree

Good result but we could and should of won this.

What?

Neither side deserved to win that. They were comfortably better for the most part but with little to no end product. A lot of their attacking was down our left which they naturally diagnosed as a weakness (at least we know that area will be improved on soon enough).

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with Barton dragging the cheat to his feet but the reaction to the "punch" was embarrassing.

Will be interesting to see if Song gets the same video treatment Barton did for the Blackburn punch.

Overall would have taken a point but last years problem has been completely un-addressed - absolutely no creativity.

Cabaye looks tidy, Obertan is shit.

The fact that Ameobi, Best and Lovenkrands still feature means we face a relegation fight imo.

:happygirl:

Dunno how the season will pan out but I don't think Obertan disgraced himself today.

Very good result given how poor we were going forward. Arsenal should have won by a couple but that's their fault if they want to try and walk it in, even we can defend when you're given enough chances to block.

Definitely zero creativity and a gulf between midfield and attack, but I imagine we'll see that starting midfield change a few times over the next few weeks.

Have to say, as much as I love him, today showed what an awful footballer Tiote is. :lol: Absolute 100% athletic spoiler who covers every blade of grass to break moves down-and we've lacked that for such a long time- but I whince every time he even contemplates a genuine forward pass. Fortunately he knows his limitations (which is another strength some players don't possess) so he doesn't do it too often, but the combination of that and an unfit Cabaye (in terms of Prem pace) meant we were gonna struggle to create anything today.

I have no problem with Barton dragging the cheat to his feet but the reaction to the "punch" was embarrassing.

Will be interesting to see if Song gets the same video treatment Barton did for the Blackburn punch.

Overall would have taken a point but last years problem has been completely un-addressed - absolutely no creativity.

The fact that Ameobi, Best and Lovenkrands still feature means we face a relegation fight imo.

You obviously weren't watching that game.

Cabaye never got in the game and Obertan was the most exciting player we had in the second half.

I'm not sure how you can come to such conclusions when we're still a couple of signings away from completing our business, when Cabaye is clearly off the pace, when Ben Arfa is injured, and when Marveaux and Gosling are waiting in the wings. All of them plus a more on form Barton will create a fair few, I'm sure of it.

I don't have a problem with Best, Ameobi and Lovenkrands being subs.

I'm not sure how you can come to such conclusions when we're still a couple of signings away from completing our business, when Cabaye is clearly off the pace, when Ben Arfa is injured, and when Marveaux and Gosling are waiting in the wings. All of them plus a more on form Barton will create a fair few, I'm sure of it.

I don't have a problem with Best, Ameobi and Lovenkrands being subs.

I think Best showed a few decent touches today. If the crowd stick behind him then he can do a job for us. Rather him over Ameobi.

your a moron man. he looked to me one of the only exciting things to take from the match apart from collocinis great defending. quick with the ball and nice knock on for cabaye in their box

just got back from the game. First game as a season ticket holder. Atmosphere were I was sitting was immense, right next to the away fans, singing and shouting all game I have actually lost me voice. The match itself was a good game I thought, we never really went for the win until they went down to 10, Shola shit as normal and it looks like Ba has taken a leaf out his book too because he done fuck all. Obertan done well when he came on and so did Best. Cabaye looked alright few decent passes but nothing much. Barton incident I didn't really see because I was at the other end of the stadium but if Gervinho had not reacted I think Barton would have been booked and that would have been the end of it but I also thought Barton got away with it because the ref had his back to him when he pulled Gervinho up. I see the media was jumped on Barton's back again calling him pathetic and all sorts but how many times have we seen a player go down for much less of a contact, just because its Joey Barton it will make the headlines for all the wrong reasons once again. We need a striker with a bit of pace and that was clear to see today.

Edited by bawan

Colo had a good game, always in the right place. Tiote's passing was a million miles from last season, gave away possession far too often and picked up his traditional yellow card. Cabaye tidy, but struggled with the speed of the game and ran out of steam. More to come from him hopefully. Flashes from Obertan, looking forward to seeing more of him. Ba disappointing. Song stepped on Joey's achilles, should have been off. Doesn't matter if it was a slap or a punch, the rule is hands to face. Gervinho's head looks like a split watermelon.

Colo had a good game, always in the right place. Tiote's passing was a million miles from last season, gave away possession far too often and picked up his traditional yellow card. Cabaye tidy, but struggled with the speed of the game and ran out of steam. More to come from him hopefully. Flashes from Obertan, looking forward to seeing more of him. Ba disappointing. Song stepped on Joey's achilles, should have been off. Doesn't matter if it was a slap or a punch, the rule is hands to face. Gervinho's head looks like a split watermelon.

Pretty much summed it up for me

Decent day overall for my fantasy team as well - bar the fact i had fucking Gervinho in it >:|

Just finished watching, having to work till just about when it finished I taped it. avoided the internet and tv, and dodged a prank text message from a mate who wanted to spoil it for me (I shall punish him on the pitch tomorrow!). :lol:

Thought we were good defensively, Raylor did well bar the first Gervinho encounter when I thought he was going to get raped for 90 mins, having Jonas infront of you really does help, he defends very well for a midfielder. Colo was outstanding and Taylor also did very well bar 1 incident when he lost it trying to be Messi. Simpson always puts his best boots on for Arsenal.

I thought Joey did very well in the first half, after all his incidents he seemed to lose his head a bit and did a few shite passes. Really not surprised he lost it after that stamp and the Gibbs challenge on him earlier which was pretty ugly too. ( atleast he managed to work it into his advantage with some class acting from Steven Taylors crash course :happygirl: ).

Tiote and Cabaye are just too similar, none will run forward with the ball and it leaves such a gap between our midfield and defence. We desperately need a pacy striker who can get the ball down from those long passes and through balls and play it. Hopefully Cabaye will get used to Tiote being so limited and involve himself a bit more going forward. I might just be happy pushing Barton into contention in the central midfield if we will use 2 "classic" wingers at times.

Ameobi and Ba both looked pretty average in my view. Hopefully Ba gets a full game soon and gets himself on the scoresheet.

Obertan had some touches of class, and his pace was incredible when he beat Sagna to a ball. He did seem very lazy though, and thats why he barely touched the ball. Looked like the fat kid playing on the school kid at times, just not chasing anything even if the ball is fairly close to him.

Really hope Barton realises no other club is ever gonna treat him like he gets treated here. You could just tell every "pundit" jumping onto him for reacting like that even though he was severely provoked again. In the norwegian studio they were all yelling for his head and they didnt even show the Song stamp. Hopefully Pardew can lick some Ashleyballs and get him a half-decent contract, because he is a very, very good player.