Newcastle v Arsenal Sat 13th August Kick Off 5.30pm

Christmas Tree

Guest Your Name Here
Colo had a good game, always in the right place. Tiote's passing was a million miles from last season, gave away possession far too often and picked up his traditional yellow card. Cabaye tidy, but struggled with the speed of the game and ran out of steam. More to come from him hopefully. Flashes from Obertan, looking forward to seeing more of him. Ba disappointing. Song stepped on Joey's achilles, should have been off. Doesn't matter if it was a slap or a punch, the rule is hands to face. Gervinho's head looks like a split watermelon.

Pretty much summed it up for me

Decent day overall for my fantasy team as well - bar the fact i had fucking Gervinho in it >:|

Saylor played well too.

We were disjointed and lethargic for large parts of the game and Arsenal weren’t much better. Fairly tedious match until Barton did his Arsenal party trick.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thought raylor was crap. if he wasn't getting drifted past by gervinho he was losing possession. hopefully fma realises how much a proper lb is needed before sunderland.

centre backs were good today but arsenal without the quality of their three best midfielders were blunt. half time despite all their ball playing had 3 shots to our 2. says it all.

Alex Song is in deep shit too. Surely a retrospective red card?

BTW I haven't gone through the entire thread so don't know if it's been covered but has the 'NEWCASTLE UNITED' sign on the East Stand been replaced?

My own question has just been answered. Thankfully it's still there.

what a surprise, wenger gets a good moan on about JB while "not seeing" the stamp by song.

I used to respect wenger...used to

considering shearer just saig Gervinho didnt dive Im losing plenty for him too, great player, shit pundit who also tries far too hard not to have any bias towards us, not like his colleagues bother

Coloccini put in a captains performance today, looked totally calm and collected in everything he done, Taylor alongside him put in a canny performance aswell.

Raylor put in a steady, performance and done everything that was expected of him, just looked petrified to venture going forward meaning our threat down the left was non-existant.

Tiote looked good in the tackle and defensively but with the ball looked a bit off the pace, which will only come with game-time. Hopefully Cabaye will get a bit more involved in next weeks game than he did in this one but he did look alright.

We couldnt seem to get a sustained bit of attacking pressure at all during the game which was a worry, but it was the first game of the season and against a decent Arsenal team.

I still get a little scared when Krul gets a rush of blood and that it might lead to a mistake, but thankfully he kept a clean sheet.

Was in the gallowgate for the game aswell, the atmosphere was alright but nowt like it would have been if the Leazes corner was there. I'm gonna have to check out other parts of the stadium to see where the best seat for the atmosphere will be

1 shot on target for the whole game.. 5 off target.. and we were at home..

So is the master plan to draw every game? We're screwed if we go 1 down..

are you serious? we were playing arsenal, that side that have been in the top 4 for how many years running? who play in the CL every season, who play their kids in the CC and still do well in it. luxuries we can hardly boast.

a 0-0 draw v them is a good result, we defend like that against lesser attacks while playing against lesser defences and we'll be just fine this season.

are you serious? we were playing arsenal, that side that have been in the top 4 for how many years running? who play in the CL every season, who play their kids in the CC and still do well in it. luxuries we can hardly boast.

a 0-0 draw v them is a good result, we defend like that against lesser attacks while playing against lesser defences and we'll be just fine this season.

They could (and should) have scored a couple. They basically gave us the chance to defend by constantly taking the extra touch. Not that I'm complaining - we can usually find a way to ship a goal even when the opposition aren't pressing. 0-0 was a great result.

Just watched the match. The football was quite boring and we never looked like scoring. To be expected with all the new players I suppose. Colo was fantastic, Taylor did well too, Simpson was average and Raylor was crap. Cabaye looked anonymous and will need time to adapt. Jonas felt the lack of Enrique imo, nothing up the left all match. Ba and Amoebi were toss, Best seemed to offer more. Obertan had a good debut I think. Barton's delivery from set pieces was poor.

The main thing that struck me was how poor our passing was and how we still give the ball away. No hold up play and Tiote's passing was off. Song deserved to be off for the stamp but Barton was lucky to stay on. Gervinho should have been sent off for his bizarre hair/head before the slap on Barton. Usual petty Arsenal fouls and cheating. Neither team deserved to win.

Our bench strength is pathetic. Desperately need reinforcements.

My point really is that we don't appear to have any threats.. There is little to offer up front and a void past our midfield to their goal. I hope Ba shows more than he did today..or indeed we actually look like attempting to score.. Arsenal or not you don't get 3 pts unless you score and I can't see it happening.

As you've pointed out .. Arsenal are on of top 4.. the other 3 won't be so kind - they should have scored today and unless i missed it I didn't really see us getting in a position of actually looking close..and.. home form is vital.

So I take it Krul is No 1 then?

Cabaye did well considering he got very little help I thought, tiotes been training alone in ghana for 2 weeks, no surprise his passing was off. agree about jonas and I liked obertan during his cameo too, could be good drifting around behind a striker, Ba got fuck all to play with today, not his fault. Barton wasnt lucky to stay on at all, grabbed shirt is a booking.

Thought Colo was probably motm and Saylor played well alongside him with Obertan really the only other player to catch the eye at all. Tiote's passing was well off all match though 2nd half he was much more energetic and active than he had been first half. And Jonas first half either looked half asleep or that he wasn't interested.

With the new lads i thought Cabaye chased around and worked hard and tried a couple of nice through balls, he just didnt have any decent possession to show his strengths just yet and Ba likewise barely got a good ball to him in his time on the pitch.

Arsenal were completely there for the taking, they look like they are either shellshocked or sulking at the state of affairs there and if we'd been really fired up and went for it i think we could have snatched it. Whoever the opposition we need to create more than we did today, and hopefully as the players settle in, we will.

As for the incidents, Song has to be done on TV evidence for 3 matches, Gervinho deserved a red and Barton if seen by the ref could have got a red or maybe still the yellow he ended up! And as funny as it was that he got them down to 10 yet again here, i really don't like the falling to the ground like you've been shot when its just a slap from other teams so i cant defend us doing it. Still winding Wenger up means it is very funny though!

Cabaye did well considering he got very little help I thought, tiotes been training alone in ghana for 2 weeks, no surprise his passing was off. agree about jonas and I liked obertan during his cameo too, could be good drifting around behind a striker, Ba got fuck all to play with today, not his fault. Barton wasnt lucky to stay on at all, grabbed shirt is a booking.

Re Barton, would've been very easy for the ref to send both of them off. It's my ignorance of the rules really but is it up to the ref to decide whether an incident is a red card offence? Barton was very aggressive and instigated the scuffle. Not that I'm defending Genrvinho the cheating bastard.

They could (and should) have scored a couple. They basically gave us the chance to defend by constantly taking the extra touch. Not that I'm complaining - we can usually find a way to ship a goal even when the opposition aren't pressing. 0-0 was a great result.

They played five in midfield so dominated the game, but never look like scoring.

We were utter rubbish today.......worst performance I've seen in a while. Only players who can hold their heads up high are S Taylor & Collo. Never been the greatest fan of S Taylor but I thought he had a decent game today. V.disappointed with Cabaye, if he's meant to be our creative force then we're in trouble. Plays far too deep, reminded me of Guthrie. Obertan looked ok when he first came on but then soon fizzled out. Worst performance I've seen of Tiote. As for Ba......Ba is the right word. He's like a slow version of Shola. Don't remember a single shot on target.

Money needs to be spent and on some quality !!

We were utter rubbish today.......worst performance I've seen in a while. Only players who can hold their heads up high are S Taylor & Collo. Never been the greatest fan of S Taylor but I thought he had a decent game today. V.disappointed with Cabaye, if he's meant to be our creative force then we're in trouble. Plays far too deep, reminded me of Guthrie. Obertan looked ok when he first came on but then soon fizzled out. Worst performance I've seen of Tiote. As for Ba......Ba is the right word. He's like a slow version of Shola. Don't remember a single shot on target.

I'd agree with you to cut the debate short, but then we'd both be wrong.

I was worried and concerned when I saw Pardoo was starting Raylor at left back, I thought if Walcott starts on the right Raylor would be chasing shadows. Thankfully Walcott didn't start. I thought Raylor was out of his depth and played poorly.

I thought 'Wilson', ok ok Simpson, wasn't much better.

Pretty solid in the middle with Saylor and Colo.

Thought Cabaye was alright and I think he will get better if the midfield gels.

Tiote was worse than his usual best and predictably got a yellow.

Barton put in a good shift, was glad he started but his temper could have got him a red.

What can I say about Strooler? Nowt.

Hard to tell about Bah, he didn't get good service.

I didn't think Jonas was contributing much at all in the first half he's the one I would have replaced with Obertan.

Have to question Pardoo's substitutions. I think I would have played Gosling before Lovenkrands.

Our midfield and out strikers were too far apart. Arsenal dictated where on the pitch the game was played, it was shame that we couldn't really impart any influence on the match at all. I would have liked to have seen more patience when we had the ball.

The Barton incident was a bit of an embarrassment. He shouldn't have picked up Gervinho, but the ref saw it and acted on it and he only got a yellow so at least there can be not restropective punishment. Obertan had a decent influence when he came on but fizzed out a little. Kind of o be expected for that sort of player. He's bloody quick and a good short passer with the ability to dribble, looks a steal for what we paid.

Cabaye's effort was plain to see but a lot of his passing was just a little off. You can tell he has the makings if a good player though, so all said and done it wasn't a bad debut.

Tiote's yellow - so frustrating. Absolutely no need for that, and having been largely out of the referees ire earlier on I was hoping he'd come through without a card. Predicted to my mate before hand that he'd pick up a yellow in the 70th minute, so annoyingly I wasn't far off.

Watched the Liverpool vs Sunderland match beforehand and have to say that the standard of play was higher and the pace at which the game was played was much more intense.

My thoughts..

Krul - Scares me with his flapping about and terrible kicking but he was ok today. Didn't have much to do.

Simpson - Played well. Cut out a cut back in the first half that would have been a goal.

Colo - Outstanding. Didn't do a thing wrong. Looks like the £10 million defender we all hoped he would be when we bought him.

Saylor - Great. Finally looks like we have a dependable solid central pairing. Lost possession in a bad position once and it nearly cost us. Looks like hes gained a yard of pace.

Raylor - Terrible. He is a liability in defence at fullback. He is a holding mid and not a very good one at that. Set pieces horrible as always.

Joey - Played well. Started poorly but his passing got better and the game went on. Set pieces were poor. Got DickeyNeye sentoff so that was good.

Cabaye - Ok. One or two of his passes were a foot from being inch perfect. Went missing for periods. Should be good when he adjusts to the pace of the PL. Solid defensively.

Tiote - Ok. Normal reliable performance breaking down attacking moves. Has someone he can rely on defensively in Cabaye but should let him do the passing.

Jonas - Played well. Had to hang back to help out Raylor and wasn't available for the out ball like he usually is. Played better in the second half when the game got stretched a bit.

Ameobi - Terrible. I don't know. Every season we hope he is bench fodder. Every season he is not. No work ethic. The touch of a rapist. Slow. Weak. Provides next to nothing.

Ba - Played well. Didn't get many opportunities as we were defending alot while he was on. Almost turned the last man a few times. Moves well. With more ball he will get goals.

Obertan - Ok. Looked good for 20min then went missing. One or two good touches. Great pace. Will tear some teams apart given space. Shows promise. Attitude though? Hmm

Best - Ok. One or two good touches. Looked a better option than Ameobi but had little time to influence the game. Solid bench player like Ameobi should hope to be.

Loven - Ok. Only on for a few minutes. One ok cross shortly after coming on. Only on with a man advantage. Should be ahead of Ameobi in the pecking order.

Pardoo - Bringing on Obertan, good move, replaced the wrong striker. If Ba isn't match fit then Best should have replaced Ameobi at the same time or even better started.

Overall a good performance. We all know we need a striker and a left back or rather two left backs now. The new signings showed promise and nothing more. But it would be harsh to be critical after one game. This season could go either way. It all depends on how quickly the new faces can settle.

Interesting no full house for the first game. Perhaps a subtle message for the board?

I think it's premature to write off Cabaye. As many have said on here, he'll need time to settle into the club and the league. Hopefully he and the team will get better the more they play together. Similarly Ba needs more service.

Cabaye: Looks like Emre Version 2, and like the little Turk looks more suited to Serie A football. Pretty on the ball, but provides little in the way of incisive/creative drive through the middle, a role player to have when surrounded with superior & natural attackers. As it stands right now, with a pairing of Tiote & Cabaye, our central midfield is lacking defensive & attacking balance. I'd start Gosling (who would at least provide more drive, more of an attacking mindset) ahead of him, especially at home.

Edited by Year Zero

Cabaye: Looks like Emre Version 2, and like the little Turk looks more suited to Serie A football. Pretty on the ball, but provides little in the way of incisive/creative drive through the middle, a role player to have when surrounded with superior & natural attackers. As it stands right now, with a pairing of Tiote & Cabaye, our central midfield is lacking defensive & attacking balance. I'd start Gosling (who would at least provide more drive, more of an attacking mindset) ahead of him, especially at home.

He's had one match in the premier league and yet you've already written him off? Gosling's only had 20 odd league appearances in 3 seasons, the vast majority of which have been with Everton. He's also missed an entire season injured. Not sure why he's considered a superior option to someone who was a first teamer with Lyon?