Starting my own business....

charvski

My new boss asked her to start an agency with her, and I agreed. There is nothing to be lost from it apart from a small bit of cash, but all in all I thought it was worth the risk.

Anyway, just wanted to ask a few questions on here, as some people might know about this kind of stuff.

First I want to ask should we have something written between us. To say that were equal partners and all that kind of stuff?

Another thing, how do you go about making a website with all the information on your need? Is it best to pay someone to do it for you? How much does it take for the upkeep of a website? Do advertisements on website help with the running costs or not at all?

And lastly, if anyone would like to come to Taiwan to teach let me know. Hopefully I can get everything off the ground and running, but at the moment it is all a new venture.

Thanks.

The main reason business partners fall out is because one is doing something behind the others back. I'd suggest business cheques need two signatures. If you have an accountant you can advise them if you both have one equal share in the business. It is best to get that noted.

Main bit of advice I would give is not to be tempted to suck money out of the business before it's established. You need some fat on the bone to see you through lean times. Too many people start well and they get the flash car and take too much out putting a strain on it.

I got someone to put my website together but I manage its content. From memory £400-£500 a page is a going rate but as I know the guy I use its more like £200. Its worth doing as you can email people links to your business website that would tell about what you offer. the website should be there to sell your services as well as perhaps offer additional information. It has to make it look like you know a lot about your market, whether you do or not :lol:

Once it's done, it shouldnt really be much of a drain other than hosting and any amends/updates that shoudl be cheap enough if you cant do yourself.

Good luck

Don't forget to register your details with Company's House (if the company is Limited).

I have a LTD company and a charity so I had to register with CH and the Charities Commission both require annual reports with a full set of accounts so don't forget to budget for professional fees.

Oh and get your solicitor to draft you a partnership agreement.

I also had some produce my website costs around £450 a year.

Edited by Jan

The only thing I would add is that all the above advice might be bollocks if the business is set up and based in Taiwan!!!!

Also would the website need to be in several languages?

My advice would be get a simple enough partnership agreement drawn up (you can probably download something)

http://www.lawdepot.co.uk/contracts/partne...ents|8521705993

and then see if there is much mileage in the business plan (assuming thats been drawn up first) before you chuck loads of money at websites etc.

So many people get very carried away with business ideas before they realise their idea is actually pants. :lol:

Edited by Christmas Tree

The only thing I would add is that all the above advice might be bollocks if the business is set up and based in Taiwan!!!!

My advice would be get a simple enough partnership agreement drawn up (you can probably download something)

and then see if there is much mileage in the business plan (assuming thats been drawn up first) before you chuck loads of money at websites etc.

So many people get very carried away with business ideas before they realise their idea is actually pants. :lol:

Have you ever run your own business CT?

Yes, badly. What about you?

You definitely need everything in writing, that lays out the basic structure of the business. Over here you would have articles and a memorandum of association from my vague memory of company law, but fuck knows what the equivalent is in Taiwan.

The book

Writing a Business Plan and Making it Work by Brian B Brown helped my write mine.

And my board of trustees even signed it off!

What does your business do Jan?

Are you a Madam? :lol:

Only on weekends if you are really nice to me!

I run a development company (Charity) looking at community development (mostly community safey, the environment and community consultation) We also offer health and safety advice to small businesses.

A basic website is anywhere from about £500 upwards depending on what you want it to do with hosting being anywhere from £50-100 a year.

I'm thinking about starting my own business as I've got what I think is a canny idea that I could make decent money from (£1000 a week) with very little stress and something you can switch off from when you go home, and most importantly I'd be my own boss.

Looking at about £2000-£2500 to start it as well which is fuck all really even if it does go tits up.

Nah. What happened?

A basic website is anywhere from about £500 upwards depending on what you want it to do with hosting being anywhere from £50-100 a year.

I'm thinking about starting my own business as I've got what I think is a canny idea that I could make decent money from (£1000 a week) with very little stress and something you can switch off from when you go home, and most importantly I'd be my own boss.

Looking at about £2000-£2500 to start it as well which is fuck all really even if it does go tits up.

Nice one. Love hearing that sort of attitude. There's enough people would be put off even by £2500 so good luck with it old son!

Nah. What happened?

All the gear no idea. :D

Usually end up in the park with sandwiches in the briefcase!

Thanks for all the replies, the woman who has asked me to get involved in this, is busy writing up the plan. I would look it over and discuss any issues I have with it.

I was thinking today, that we need to have something in writing and signed by both of us to say we are partners, and we both have an equal right to whatever happens, if we fail and lose money, we lose both our money, if we make money, we both make money.

It is a good point Jawd made about not buying the flash cars and everything too soon. I never thought about the double signed cheques too, if we get to that. When she sends me the plan, I am going to tell her I want everything in writing. I am also going to mention about the money situation and how we will manage it when/if it starts coming in.

Jawd I think all your points are sensible ones. We really need to write down an agreement between us. Would the agreement be binding, if we just wrote it together and signed it? Or would it be better with a solicitor or someone legal?

I don't even know what the business law is like in Taiwan, but I can assure you she wants all done on the hush hush. We might even have to bribe a few people here and there I am not sure.

Thanks for the replies. There really helpful because I have never tried anything about this and it is a bit scary to be honest.

Good luck with it! If I ever learn Taiwanese/Chinese i'll come to you and expect a job teaching English :lol:

Your more than welcome. You don't need to know any Taiwanese or Chinese to work here, just be English, and have a Degree that's it.

Nice one. Love hearing that sort of attitude. There's enough people would be put off even by £2500 so good luck with it old son!

I'll do all my own design work for my stationery/leaflets and logo etc and I've got some good contacts at printers for getting it printed cheap so I'll make a massive saving there, then one of the lads at work who's a top designer will do my website for me for a half ounce of skunk....bingo

The money is just for a van and a few bits of equipment tbh

My new boss asked her to start an agency with her, and I agreed. There is nothing to be lost from it apart from a small bit of cash, but all in all I thought it was worth the risk.

Anyway, just wanted to ask a few questions on here, as some people might know about this kind of stuff.

First I want to ask should we have something written between us. To say that were equal partners and all that kind of stuff?

Another thing, how do you go about making a website with all the information on your need? Is it best to pay someone to do it for you? How much does it take for the upkeep of a website? Do advertisements on website help with the running costs or not at all?

And lastly, if anyone would like to come to Taiwan to teach let me know. Hopefully I can get everything off the ground and running, but at the moment it is all a new venture.

Thanks.

Do it yourself, its really easy to do and loads cheaper. Also handy to pick up the basics so you can make changes.

Per year costs;

Domain name: £3 (.co.uk) or £5 (.com)

Hosting: £20 (take ur pick, I'd go with a sticky'd provider)

One-off

Design: £20 (Theme Forest

To tweak it just post in the help section there's loads of people that can help. or create a £25 job on vWorker

Good luck with it! If I ever learn Taiwanese/Chinese i'll come to you and expect a job teaching English :lol:

Your more than welcome. You don't need to know any Taiwanese or Chinese to work here, just be English, and have a Degree that's it.

Starting Uni (hopefully) in September, might look you up if I get a degree (although I am doing history, which is often called useless :D ) in a few years time! I'd love to do something like that, it'd be amazing

Those mobility scooters selling well btw, CT?

Just got rid of them last week as it happens. One left if you know anyone who needs one! :lol:

(Seriously if anyone has a Grandad, Grandma or is just generally lazy and needs something to go to the bookies on on a saturday morning, then I have one left at £199 )

wispa.jpg

Those mobility scooters selling well btw, CT?

Just got rid of them last week as it happens. One left if you know anyone who needs one! :lol:

(Seriously if anyone has a Grandad, Grandma or is just generally lazy and needs something to go to the bookies on on a saturday morning, then I have one left at £199 )

wispa.jpg

Don't think much of your cab, CT. Where does the passenger sit?

Thanks.

Do it yourself, its really easy to do and loads cheaper. Also handy to pick up the basics so you can make changes.

Per year costs;

Domain name: £3 (.co.uk) or £5 (.com)

Hosting: £20 (take ur pick, I'd go with a sticky'd provider)

One-off

Design: £20 (Theme Forest

To tweak it just post in the help section there's loads of people that can help. or create a £25 job on vWorker

Obviously I would disagree with that being someone who develops sites but it is one of the worst mistakes people make deciding to buidl their own site if they dont have any experience.

Its not just about the look of the site, its the content, the way its structured, the links you use and how you go about marketing it. There really is nothing worse (aside from trapping your bollocks in a vice) than a home made website for a professional business. Hosting shouldnt be a case of the cheapest one, you need to take into account the requirements of the site, do you need Content Management? databases? how many visitors do you expect? is it hosted in the desired country etc etc.

Do not just jump into making your own site, at least speak to someone you know about it.

Give it a go. ^_^