Next season's expectations

TheMoog

From the Beeb:

Newcastle United striker Shola Ameobi has said that his side's main target for this season is Premier League survival.

Newcastle finished 12th in the last campaign, their first back in the top flight following their relegation to the Championship in the 2008/09 season.

Ameobi said: "We know it's always more difficult the second season after you've been promoted.

"I think first and foremost we have to stay in the league."

Despite a mid-table finish last time around, Ameobi believes it will take some time before Newcastle will be able to challenge for a spot higher up the league.

The 29-year-old added: "I think it's good to build a base before you push on and hopefully we can do that with a good finish mid-table next season."

So far this summer Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has made four new additions to his squad - striker Demba Ba , and midfielders Mehdi Abeid, Sylvain Marveaux and Yohan Cabaye.

Ameobi said that fans may have to wait to see their impact on the side: "I think we have to be patient as a team.

"We have a few new players as well which will make it difficult because they're not integrated into the way we play and the manager has a new style of play that he wants to incorporate into the team, so it will take time and there'll be some highs, some lows."

Following the sale of Andy Carroll to Liverpool in January, boss Pardew has confirmed that he is looking to sign another new striker, in addition to Ba.

But Ameobi is not worried about any extra competition: "As a striker, if you've got five other strikers competing for two positions, it puts you on your toes and you have to make sure you perform to stay there.

"Hopefully we'll get a few more players in and hopefully build the confidence and quality of the squad."

What ambition we have! :lol:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year survival was the target and we finished mid-table. This season mid-table is the target, which is what Ameobi says if you read it rather than what the sub-editor has decided for you.

We are also stronger as a squad than on the last day of last season.

Last year survival was the target and we finished mid-table. This season mid-table is the target, which is what Ameobi says if you read it rather than what the sub-editor has decided for you.

what about the first day of last season ?

Shola didn't mention it there but he is hoping for an England call-up.

he also didn't mention that with soopa players like him in the team, he's playing these expectations down a bit

Same defence, better midfield, weaker attack. If a striker of Sturridge's ability comes in, we would have a stronger attack.

So, one player away from an unequivocal improvement both from where we left off and where we started a year ago, with stronger finance too.

Same defence, better midfield, weaker attack. If a striker of Sturridge's ability comes in, we would have a stronger attack.

So, one player away from an unequivocal improvement both from where we left off and where we started a year ago, with stronger finance too.

signing him permanently or on loan ?

Don't think it matters, strictly speaking, re: the point in question. The midfield being stronger than last season is debatable at present though (although not the first day, given that side included Alan Smith).

I dont think we'll get him unfortunately but i've been meaning to make this point for a few days - we are one player away from an unequivocal strengthening. If we dont get a quality striker then we'll need the best out of the current lot as we managed to get last season. The point i want to emphasise is that we are close to having what we need. Portents of doom and whingeing from the usual suspects seems a little bit mis-placed for now.

On the Sturridge question, the latest quotes from Pardew talk about other clubs being on tour and decisions being made when they get back. This is what Villas-Boas said about their tour in reference to Sturridge. Clutching at straws possibly.

Don't think it matters, strictly speaking, re: the point in question. The midfield being stronger than last season is debatable at present though (although not the first day, given that side included Alan Smith).

I think we badly missed a central midfielder like Cabaye last season, it was a weakness i was highlighting months ago. My reference point is what we had available for most of last season, so you can add Ben Arfa and Gosling to that. Abeid and Merveaux have added some much needed depth.

Stronger imo.

I don't buy that we are better off than last season on the basis of getting someone in on loan.

You can only say that if the player is yours.

And this is before we sell Enrique, and while we may have more mobility in midfield I will be very surprised if any of these players replace Nolan in leadership terms, when the chips are down and they go missing.

I think we badly missed a central midfielder like Cabaye last season, it was a weakness i was highlighting months ago. My reference point is what we had available for most of last season, so you can add Ben Arfa and Gosling to that. Abeid and Merveaux have added some much needed depth.

Stronger imo.

Wait and see I suppose. None of those are proven etc. Certainly more depth which I accept. I haven't seen Cabaye play so can't comment but I'm aware of Nolan's shortcomings so accept that what you lose in his goals you can potential gain in other areas. Keeping Tiote beyond January is massive like.

Edited by alex

I don't buy that we are better off than last season on the basis of getting someone in on loan.

And this is before we sell Enrique, and while we may have more mobility in midfield I will be very surprised if any of these players replace Nolan in leadership terms, when the chips are down and they go missing.

All fair points which i accept completely, especially the Enrique situation but lets evaluate that when it happens. He wont be sold whilst on tour to the US anyway (now i've said that....)

Ignoring the Enrique situation for one moment though, we are close to having what we need. Barton, Cabaye, Tiote, Jonas with Ba & Sturrdge up top?

:licks lips:

I think the number of Loanees the Mackems had last year was ridiculous and contributed to their disappointing finish but I think for one or two players it doesn't make that much difference. In the absense of any long term strategy (despite what you suggest, I don't think there is one) it's all about the team on the pitch for one year.

I do however think you're right that Enrique will be sold and the lack of any defensive cover makes me cautious in agreeing with Chez.

I'd also say you're exaggerating Nolan's contribution on the spirit side - it wasn't negligible but Arsenal aside, I can't recall many chips down situations that were turned around.

I agree - chip stealing is a major problem at SJP

I agree - chip stealing is a major problem at SJP

those friendly asylum seekers you invite in for a chat will be peddling them on the corner of your street

I dont think we'll get him unfortunately but i've been meaning to make this point for a few days - we are one player away from an unequivocal strengthening. If we dont get a quality striker then we'll need the best out of the current lot as we managed to get last season. The point i want to emphasise is that we are close to having what we need. Portents of doom and whingeing from the usual suspects seems a little bit mis-placed for now.

On the Sturridge question, the latest quotes from Pardew talk about other clubs being on tour and decisions being made when they get back. This is what Villas-Boas said about their tour in reference to Sturridge. Clutching at straws possibly.

I think a lot of people, yourself included know how important it is to get another good forward in. We're going to need goals and we've sold our two top scorers. The midfield is not necessarily better, and I say that as I've yet to see any of our new lads win a tackle, put a through ball or score a goal in the PL for us, so the Jury's out on that one. So aye, a good forward could make the difference but we've all been bit on the arse before with this club. The scoring situation is a worry I hope I laugh about when Ba gets his 10th of the season by november as we sit on the edge of a European place. I've got my doubts though.

Jumping the gun a bit with Sturridge there, Chez?

What by saying that i dont reckon we will get him? Aye maybe i should be more optimistic :lol:

I wasnt meaning to sound like i thought he was coming, i was trying to say how close we are to an overall improvement. One player basically. Its just some perspective to go against some of the more negative views about not spending the Carroll money.

I do realise that being one player away can also be seen as quite a distance when that player is a striker capable of getting 13+ goals.

Ignoring the Enrique situation for one moment though, we are close to having what we need. Barton, Cabaye, Tiote, Jonas with Ba & Sturrdge up top?

Was the bit I was aiming at!

Looks like Chelsea have just bid for Lukaku, so fingers crossed he sees Sturridge as dispensible.

And our board see him as gettable :lol:

Was the bit I was aiming at!

Looks like Chelsea have just bid for Lukaku, so fingers crossed he sees Sturridge as dispensible.

And our board see him as gettable :lol:

Aye, i should say again that i was using Sturridge as an example rather than predicting he will come in.