Next season's expectations

TheMoog

I'm most concerned about losing Nolan's goals from midfield in the coming season. Ba seems to have gotten goals everywhere he's went which is a plus but 13 goals from midfield is nowt to be sniffed at. While Cabaye may technically be a better player, I think we'll miss the goal threat of Nolan in and around the box. Hopefully Ben Arfa can get a few.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year survival was the target and we finished mid-table. This season mid-table is the target, which is what Ameobi says if you read it rather than what the sub-editor has decided for you.

We are also stronger as a squad than on the last day of last season.

Yeah, fair enough, I may have skipped that bit :lol:

I agree getting a really decent forward would transform our prospects. I don't know much about Ba but we need someone who not only can put heat on the opposition defence, but can hold the ball up too. imo with a mobile attack minded midfield you need a cutting edge and focal point up top, not sure if Ba's the man in that sense. Again I don't know anything about the new lads, but we might need someone with a bit of height and presence at set pieces too.

I guess I'm saying Andy Carroll would be perfect. Crouch might be available from 'Arry.

We have no chance of getting Sturridge.

I disagree. Should Chelsea let him go then I don't think he's done enough to earn a move to the top 4. Spurs or Liverpool may possibly be interested but beyond that there's no one else who really comes across as a much more attractive prospect than ourselves.

I'm most concerned about losing Nolan's goals from midfield in the coming season. Ba seems to have gotten goals everywhere he's went which is a plus but 13 goals from midfield is nowt to be sniffed at. While Cabaye may technically be a better player, I think we'll miss the goal threat of Nolan in and around the box. Hopefully Ben Arfa can get a few.

Nolan's goals from midfield became invaluable because of the lack of contribution from our strikers (Carroll aside). If we had a striker scoring 15 league goals a season with our new midfield additions chipping in then we'd be doing well.

Now as you all know, I watch little football apart from Newcastle so have just had a youtube at sturridge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpw0JSo91jM

There is only one goal on there (The curler) that looks like a really classy goal, the others look like knock ins that Shola or Best would get.

I have then had a look at his wiki page and his stats are as follows.

2006–2009 ----- Manchester City --- 21 (5)

2009 -----------Chelsea -------------26 (1)

2011 ----------- Bolton Wanderers -- 12 (8)

So can I ask what the big fuss is over this lad. Serious question. Surely its not just hysteria over the 8 goals at Bolton, is it?

Nolan's goals from midfield became invaluable because of the lack of contribution from our strikers (Carroll aside). If we had a striker scoring 15 league goals a season with our new midfield additions chipping in then we'd be doing well.

Forgot to mention that I'd be calmed if we got a good striker in. Still think he would have got a few goals, even if he wasn't assured to start.

Now as you all know, I watch little football apart from Newcastle so have just had a youtube at sturridge.

There is only one goal on there (The curler) that looks like a really classy goal, the others look like knock ins that Shola or Best would get.

So can I ask what the big fuss is over this lad. Serious question. Surely its not just hysteria over the 8 goals at Bolton, is it?

He looks a good prospect tbf but the rumoured price, 10-15m is just daft. The Market for English played is silly.

As you are blowing your trumpet and proclaiming anybody who soopa Mike buys to be a genius, thats a bit rich.

I remember having the same sort of discussion with some people about Craig Bellamy and his goalscoring record, one poster in particular who insisted that any striker should score 20 goals a season or he was not worthy of anything. These sort of Championship manager stats have taken over the game for types like this.

The best strikers actually score most of their goals in the 6 yard box and/or close to goal. Who is saying Sturridge is a "striker" anyway who isn't going to score goals like Alan Shearer or Ian Rush but who does ?

You have to take these guys on their merits, he is what he is. Those games at Bolton may not have been much, but they were very promising. You need to sit the guy down and talk to him, evaluate his attitude, desire to be successful, but that is up to the manager and that is what transfer talks are for.

Personally, I would buy him because I think he has good potential and is well worth the risk. You have to take risks, you get nowhere shopping around looking for cut price bargains all the time but I believe the example shown by all the successful clubs has been pointed out to you before.

Edited by LeazesMag

Well he's not Carlton Cole or Jay Bothroyd. I guess it's a case of filtering someone with top class potential from the journey men and that's what you rely on your scouts (not YouTube) for.

Proven strikers will obviously be in high demand only go to top teams, so I reckon in our position anyone we sign will either be unproven or Mr Average (unless we're gambling on someone talented but risky like an Adrian Mutu for instance). I guess it's also difficult to get up and coming strikers, since everyone watches them and is after them, so you have to be decisive and determined.

Well he's not Carlton Cole or Jay Bothroyd. I guess it's a case of filtering someone with top class potential from the journey men and that's what you rely on your scouts (not YouTube) for.

Proven strikers will obviously be in high demand only go to top teams, so I reckon in our position anyone we sign will either be unproven or Mr Average (unless we're gambling on someone talented but risky like an Adrian Mutu for instance). I guess it's also difficult to get up and coming strikers, since everyone watches them and is after them, so you have to be decisive and determined.

and its a journeyman that we will probably get.

He would massively improve the team. Chelsea value him at £20m, I've been watching him since he was playing at City in the Uefa cup and I was amazed they let him go in the first place, fair enough £8m but it's not like they need the money!

I can't see a player like him coming here permanently. We had a young English player in Carroll and couldn't keep hold of him so under Ashley what would be the point?

Plus I doubt Villas-Boas will be loaning out strikers he has barely had the chance to look at.

I'm expecting this to be a transitional season. We've only been back in the top flight for one season and we weren't exactly miles clear of the relegation zone until late on. The squad is undergoing a massive overhaul and we've just lost our captain.

We shouldn't just aim for survival of course, but being realistic we're still some way from the top half of the table. I'm worried that this team will lack the drive if results aren't going our way; desperately need players like Barton to give the rest of the lads a kick up the arse.

I can't see a player like him coming here permanently. We had a young English player in Carroll and couldn't keep hold of him so under Ashley what would be the point?

Frustrating isn't it.

Plus I doubt Villas-Boas will be loaning out strikers he has barely had the chance to look at.

Depends whether he's been told that any money he recoups he can spend on other targets that he no doubt has in mind.

...and CT it's more about having watched him play. It's obvious that he has a sharpness and trickery on the ball that we lack from any of our striking options. Looks to be a decent finisher as well. He's only 21 as well, so statistics from 3 or 4 years ago don't really hold much sway.

Clearly better than what we have.

We've only been back in the top flight for one season and we weren't exactly miles clear of the relegation zone until late on.

I reckon Carroll would have changed that like.

We've only been back in the top flight for one season and we weren't exactly miles clear of the relegation zone until late on.

I reckon Carroll would have changed that like.

Given the number of games he played since joining Liverpool and the number of goals he scored, I'm not so sure.

He wasn't fit imo. Same would've applied if he was still here though. Heard a good few rumours they're more than a little concerned with his extra-curricular activities as well.

He would massively improve the team. Chelsea value him at £20m, I've been watching him since he was playing at City in the Uefa cup and I was amazed they let him go in the first place, fair enough £8m but it's not like they need the money!

I'll go further and agree with the first paragraph of that. Maybe the Bolton loan experience wasn't very long, but I think it is more than enough to see that he has enough about him to make a big impact, he looks like he will be a top player to me. I like forwards like this, who never stop trying to make things happen, he gets behind defenders, he beats them to the ball, he has great desire and appetite......this is before you look at his footballing skills which people have talked about, like his backlift and hitting shots early for instance, and his pace. He wants to play and play well, if you sit him down and talk to him I'm sure he would come across as a very good player to have in your dressing room etc too.

I don't really know what fee they would want, if 20m is the starting price then they will come down, but a few million quid is really neither here nor there for a club like NUFC if the player is the right player and performs, knock them down to 15m quid and there is still 20m quid of the Carroll fee left.

There or there abouts challenging for Europe with more of a safety bumper from relegation and some memorable matches like last season would do me for next year.

A really good cup performance would top it off.

:lol:

not a chance of getting near the european spots.

As things stand, we will finish lower than last season IMO.

Have to say, I was very happy with our finish last season and hoped we would push on for next season but I'm currently uninspired. You don't hear this from me very often, but I agree with Leazes.