Ally

New Car

Getting a BMW 1 Series this weekend, has anyone got one? Seems a canny car for the money. My Dad keeps banging on that you can't drive it in the winter because of rear wheel drive....?!!

He's right. It'll be a fucking nightmare in the winter. Get an Audi A3 or a Golf instead if you don't want your car to be fucking useless for a couple of months a year.

As a massive generalisation - BMW drivers are proper bell-bottoms .

Many a motorist won't argue with that .

Also note that owning a BMW doesn't automatically validate childless drivers arrogantly using parent & child supermarket parking spaces .

Also if that 'LUKE' private reg ballsac from the coast, that runs that shit Luke van hire company that drives a grey DB8, but has turned into the equivalent of an asian's Subaru by putting red callipers on it and who does the above is reading this, it applies to you too you twat .

Excuse the ignorance but why do they build them like that then? Seems a bit daft

I don't know much about cars, but I think it's a sports performance thing. I've got a couple of mates who drive them who had to abandon their cars a few times last winter. If these colder winters are here to stay, a bmw is gonna be a bad choice.

Yup lad in here has a 3series for the last year and he's changing it for a golf asap, got sick of having to weigh the boot down with bags of sand to try get any sort of traction in the snow.

That and having to pay £180 a tyre for run flats didn't help either.

My mate has a 3 series and got a couple of snow tyres fitted for the bad weather last year, says that after that he never had a problem in the snow.

My mate has a 3 series and got a couple of snow tyres fitted for the bad weather last year, says that after that he never had a problem in the snow.

Aye but if you've already shelled out the guts of £500-600 for your set of run flats, buying another couple of alloys and snow tyres for a another 200-300 would get some peoples backs up.

They are nice motors like, but would rather have an a4 or a5 personally

You could do what I do and completely wimp out of driving in snow (even though I have a sort of golf).

I don't see how 10 days a year are that much of an issue to affect a car choice.

You could do what I do and completely wimp out of driving in snow (even though I have a sort of golf).

I don't see how 10 days a year are that much of an issue to affect a car choice.

It's way more than 10 days. It was snowing for more days than that, and then the compacted ice hung around for fucking ages.

That's what I usually do and Im a Taxi driver!

It's way more than 10 days. It was snowing for more days than that, and then the compacted ice hung around for fucking ages.

Indeed we easily had over a month of it last xmas here, funny J69 mentioned CR-V i thought mums was utterly shambolic in the snow last year compared to the Vitara i had.

The CR-V has got some sort of automatic 4x4 where it handles when to kick it in, so it's 2wd the vast majority of the time (helps keep the mpg up) and then the 4wd kicks in when the car sees the wheels slipping.

CR-V especially that new shape that's been out a few years now is great though, really nice motor.

Vitara was great though for the winter had a second gear lever to choose between 2wd and 4wd high/low ratios really missed that last xmas when i changed to the coupe, i'd only stuck new tyres on it so wasn't too bad thankfully.

As a massive generalisation - BMW drivers are proper bell-bottoms .

:lol: This was one of the reasons why I chose an Audi A3 over a BMW 1 series when I last changed my car!

A3's nicer than most of the 1series anyway(the 1series coupe is great looking imo), but then again the A3 is a golf in a disguise basically so it should be good!

I'd love a golf but i just couldn't pay the kinda money for one...If i was spending 20k on a car i'd like to it to feel like i've bought something a bit better than a voltswagan, kinda want a merc/audi/bmw for your money even if the golfs a great car.

Sorry Gloomy, I don't want to defecate on your parade but I must concur; they tailgate on the motorway far more than any other drivers. Indicator's seemingly an optional extra on BMWs too.

what color bmw is it if its a black one thats tipical male drivers they drive round like they own the road just cause they have a exspensive car wow woopie doo. il take that back if im wrong

New white Audi A3 coming end of August, Mrs car so can't complain about the colour. Have a VW Golf at the minute, one if the best cars I've ever driven. Would near keep it as a second car.