New Car

Ally

I did 1 lesson/week, started off 1 hour/week then moved to 2 hours/week. Got a car and did some practice in it until I drove into a skip and wrote it off. Passed 1st time, 3 driver faults in the end.

1/2 days revision will see you get 50/50 on the driving theory questions, the hazard perception is a pile of shite, just click every 3 seconds and you'll pass.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolute nonsense.

They don't work for everybody, I agree but you can't categorically claim that you're unable to learn to be a good driver on them.

BTW Kevin, any particular reason for a 206 or a Clio? It's all personal opinion like but with only exception (Peugeot 205) every Peugeot & Renault I've driven (I've driven Clios, Meganes, Scenics, Lagunas, 205s, 206s, 207s) have been bloody awful.

Try before you buy.

Absolute nonsense.

They don't work for everybody, I agree but you can't categorically claim that you're unable to learn to be a good driver on them.

BTW Kevin, any particular reason for a 206 or a Clio? It's all personal opinion like but with only exception (Peugeot 205) every Peugeot & Renault I've driven (I've driven Clios, Meganes, Scenics, Lagunas, 205s, 206s, 207s) have been bloody awful.

Try before you buy.

I can and I did. :lol:

Sure, you may be trained to drive a car, but you cannot pick up the awareness and road sense in a week that you will get taking lessons over months.

By the same definition, someone driving for months may not have the same awareness and road sense as someone who has driven for years.

But the fact is the driving test is a set level of attainment. Whether it's taken you 3 weeks or three years to pass your test, you're still considered to have thw aptitude to drive on your own on the open roads.

There's drivers I've known who learned for years and still haven't got a bloody clue when it comes to the characteristics you state. Conversely, I've seen people who've barely been driving 5 minutes who are absolutely spot on.

Time and experience is a good indication but it is neither definitive or categorical.

By the same definition, someone driving for months may not have the same awareness and road sense as someone who has driven for years.

But the fact is the driving test is a set level of attainment. Whether it's taken you 3 weeks or three years to pass your test, you're still considered to have thw aptitude to drive on your own on the open roads.

There's drivers I've known who learned for years and still haven't got a bloody clue when it comes to the characteristics you state. Conversely, I've seen people who've barely been driving 5 minutes who are absolutely spot on.

Time and experience is a good indication but it is neither definitive or categorical.

I wont disagree with that, but will just say I wouldnt want a child of mine driving in todays traffic having only completed a weeks crash course.

Absolute nonsense.

Try before you buy.

Always liked both them cars. Want a small 3 door hatchback type car. I'll try them before i buy them obviously, im also looking for anything below 70k miles.

I want to be driving by january so its either do 3 lessons a week or do the crash course. crash course is quite expensive but so i think i'm going to go for the 3 lessons a week.

Absolute nonsense.

Try before you buy.

Always liked both them cars. Want a small 3 door hatchback type car. I'll try them before i buy them obviously, im also looking for anything below 70k miles.

I want to be driving by january so its either do 3 lessons a week or do the crash course. crash course is quite expensive but so i think i'm going to go for the 3 lessons a week.

When I was your age I always fancied a 306 and ended up massively underwhelmed when I drove one. Sadly I've had a few Peugeots and Renaults are hire vehicles and haven't liked any of them.

Everyone has a different opinion and cost is obviously a determining factor but having driven both Audis and VWs, it'd have to be something a bit special (within price range) to persuade me to look elsewhere.

If costs are an issue, you'd be better off looking at a Fiesta or a Corsa. Cheap as chips both to run and maintain.

Wifes on the verge of getting one of these lease cars through the NHS.

From what I can see, it appears a canny deal / prices etc and she can basically have a new car that comes with road tax, free servicing and free insurance for about £20 more than she is currently paying just to insure her car.

She has narrowed it down to a Seat Leon, VW Polo (both virtually the same car), or the new Yaris which is properly unveiled in two weeks time.

Have suggested she looks at stuff like the note etc and other super minis but she aint having it so far.

Ended up with the Nissan Note 1.5 diesel N-TEC £71.00 per month.

65 MPG and a host of goodies as standard such as built in sat nav.

Im Jealous.

if i was a new driver id buy an absolute shed and run it into the ground to build up up a year or two no claims.

the first years years insurance is going to be spectacularly high :lol:

Absolute nonsense.

Try before you buy.

When I was your age I always fancied a 306 and ended up massively underwhelmed when I drove one. Sadly I've had a few Peugeots and Renaults are hire vehicles and haven't liked any of them.

Everyone has a different opinion and cost is obviously a determining factor but having driven both Audis and VWs, it'd have to be something a bit special (within price range) to persuade me to look elsewhere.

If costs are an issue, you'd be better off looking at a Fiesta or a Corsa. Cheap as chips both to run and maintain.

Going to take a look at fiesta's. Never liked corsas, the new ones are nice but would cost a fortune. I'll only have around 1.5k to spend.

Insurance hopefully shouldnt be that bad seeing as im 18, actually, im fucked :lol: