Obertan Signs Five Year Deal

McFaul

Who the fuck was singing his name yesterday? It must have been a piss take surely!

Unless Stevie wasn't really in hospital and had actually made the trip to Jormany.

Pardew was raving about the singing post match :jesuswept:

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was he awful yesterday?

No he was ok. Does having an ok game in a friendly when no one is going full pace suddenly change the fact that he has been dreadful for the past two seasons with us and for the time he was with Manure?

If he could consistently put in performances like he did yesterday in competitive games he would be a useful member of the squad. Given his history this seems very unlikely to say the least. Personally I wouldn't take the risk of giving him a game in a competitive game. I'd much rather go with players who haven't looked as bad as him when given the chances or even young players who as yet haven't been given the chance.

Not being funny, but I've no problem with a player being "back in contention". Where's the harm? He's been ok in Pre-season, certainly good enough to get on the 1st team squad bus.

I'd wager his renaissance will be short lived and by October he'll be nowhere near the 1st team, but being in contention isn't the same as "probably going to start".

Not being funny, but I've no problem with a player being "back in contention". Where's the harm? He's been ok in Pre-season, certainly good enough to get on the 1st team squad bus.

I'd wager his renaissance will be short lived and by October he'll be nowhere near the 1st team, but being in contention isn't the same as "probably going to start".

I agree, in the sense that anyone who gives a fuck about this 'news' one way or the other probably needs to have a quiet word with themselves.

The only way it becomes a problem is if Pardew thinks he's good enough and doesn't persue a new signing because of this. I think this is a highly unlikely scenario mind you so I'm not concerned about that.

I still don't want to see him in a matchday squad because I'm certain he's fucking hopeless.

Fair play to him for putting the effort into trying to work his way back into the squad mind you.

The only way it becomes a problem is if Pardew thinks he's good enough and doesn't persue a new signing because of this. I think this is a highly unlikely scenario mind you so I'm not concerned about that.

I still don't want to see him in a matchday squad because I'm certain he's fucking hopeless.

Fair play to him for putting the effort into trying to work his way back into the squad mind you.

I don't think that's likely because:

1) Pardew doesn't drive signings

2) Unless it's for the 1st team, we sign players where there's a good deal, rather than where there's a need for future improvement.

3) I think Obertan would have had to score hat tricks each game to be considered for the 1st team. People don't forget that quickly.

Wouldn't be suprised to see him go to Forest as part of this deal for the 2 new lads. They were heavily linked with him last summer.

Hadn't even thought about that, not a bad shout.

Would explain getting Lascelles at such a reasonable rate.

Wouldn't be suprised to see him go to Forest as part of this deal for the 2 new lads. They were heavily linked with him last summer.

Most players that cost a couple of million quid are that sort of calibre, very few are like Cabaye. Expect us to wign more players like Obertan rather than Cabaye.

What happened to.this kid Tozer ?

Most players that cost a couple of million quid are that sort of calibre, very few are like Cabaye. Expect us to wign more players like Obertan rather than Cabaye.

What happened to.this kid Tozer ?

I think he ended up at Northampton

• 2 weeks later...

yeah he was

No, he wasn't. Anyone who thinks he was needs to go back and "look at the game tape" or admit they're talking out of their arse.

What I meant was that I'd prefer if we still had Routledge, should not have said wish. Routledge has quick feet and will run at a man. Pointless conversation though.

I blame Pardew for thinking Obertan could have a meaningful impact. Did nothing wrong is the equivalent of patting a young lad on the back after his first day of school for not literally shitting himself in public.

Think he did loads wrong anyway, specifically his movement off the ball. He consistently wondered into positions where he offered zero impact, be that as a pass option or having made a run to open up space. Within the first 10 minutes of him coming on we went from having a system whereby we were capable of moving the ball forward across the pitch, to an unbalanced system that was completely unable to move the ball forward. Obertan for Anita killed our forward momentum, when it was hoped by a fool to do the opposite.