Obertan Signs Five Year Deal

McFaul

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a sneaky signing and threre is a good chance he will do his bit this season. Good pedigree, needs a run of games and his confidence back.

This.

Man Utd seen something in him when he signed and to be fair was up against it in terms of competition in the Man Utd squad.

At 3mil i think its a very good bit of business. Even if he is a replacement for Barton, and we will miss his input, he is actually a right winger and will give us good balance in midfield.

Marveaux---Gosling---Cabaye---Obertan

Niice.

If we can bring in a quality striker be it permanent or on loan AND replace Jose sufficiently (M'Bengue, Bridge, Shorey, Warnock) then i will be pleased with the window.

The onus is then on January when a few players arent getting the games they want and become available.

If we can bring in a quality striker be it permanent or on loan AND replace Jose sufficiently (M'Bengue, Bridge, Shorey, Warnock) then i will be pleased with the window.

I'd rather jump off one. He's on massive money and he was well off the pace last season.

I'd rather jump off one. He's on massive money and he was well off the pace last season.

Maybe.

Has shown he can do it. If we could get him for 2-3mil and him on 50k max then i think he would do a job. Who would you choose out of those four?

I wouldn't limit myself to four. As soon as Jose made noises about leaving I would have my scouts draw up a dossier of suitable players and find the most suitable.

Judging by the clubs plans it would have to be M'Bengue but Onouha from City plays left back as well as right so I would rather have him - Pardew claims that they have a contingency plan anyway...

A pacey, tricky winger to fill the void left by Barton perhaps?

I think Obertan will be a good signing, adds some much needed depth to the midfield and still young so room to develop. Will probably make a profit on him in two years time when some mid table premiership team flashes the cash. :lol:

Doubt it. Ferguson is usually spot on when it comes to realising a players potential. I think the obertan will make little if any improvement on the player he is now. If anything i see him struggling here, and us offloading him cheaper. We're not really sharp on recognising and utilising a players potential (just ask guiseppe rossi). Anyway average players can hide their weaknesses easier when theyre playing for a top team.

In my opinion, this is the reality of what we have at the team so far

Tiote, Jose, Collocini, Barton, Arfa - genuine top quality

Cabaye, Ba, Marveaux, Gutierez, Vukic - not sure

Simpson, Williamson, Ameobi, Lovendkrands, Obertan, Raylor, Gosling - bottom half players

In summary if barton and jose go, we only have 3 players that i can say in confidence, that will help us push for europe in the near future. All this premature excitement about the french army and the likes of gosling/vukic etc is something i intend on reserving judgement for later. The disappointing thing is that we're in a position where none of us really know what will happen in the coming season, when we really should have built from the last season and be more confident of things to come. And i cant reiterate my last statement enough!. I just hope my 'not sure' category of players turn out to be top quality.

If/when this lad comes in, he's going into a squad that doesn't even know who they'll be training with the next day, never mind what the holistic aim is for the season ahead. Ok, so it may be a.n. other signing given the outgoing(s), and it's at least a positive . . . in that it fills a shirt.

What I think is very questionable is what kind of team spirit there's going to be given the characters being brought in and what has been / set to be shipped out. The implications of this is being pretty much overlooked given the state of confusion Ashley's consultants are conjouring up .

I'm trying to get at 'where are the leaders amongst them' ? Colo as captain - never seen him cajole folk. His arse drops when he gets beaten more often than not. He's taking extra (english?) lessons i believe .... so what happens ? we sign French speakers . The senior players must be hollow as hell seeing what was the backbone and spirit carried through from CH disbanded . Very important to remember - that was pretty much what got us through last season.

Should much emphasis be placed on the captaincy and their role ? I'm not sure, but what I do know is that I can't see anyone currently able to change a game with deeds rather than words amongst current players - and that's a big worry i think.

The balance is looking wrong 'personality wise' . I fear a lot of shrugging of shoulders and the open-palm pointing towards boots to team-mates when conversely we'd have had JB or KN 'just getting on with it' . None of this badge kissing shit, i mean yarking the ball off the oppo for a free kick, picking the ball out the net and slamming it down on the centre circle, a visible 'g'waan lad' to your team-mates and consequently to the crowd ?

Y knaa man - that kind of kaboodle . (The 'legs have gone' arguement doesn't come into this by the way.)

It's about embodiment of spirit and what can come from it (he said sounding like a cunt)

I know i've been very negative lately and acknowledge my ingrained cynacism , but honestly, with whatever the fuck's going on there currently - i'm less than fucking amused .

He has very quick feet, we definitely lack that. The biggest worry is that for a wide player it's a struggle to find footage of him crossing a ball. If 3M is the price it looks like a good deal. Just because he's down the pecking order and seen as surplus to requirements at Manure doesn't mean that he's no good - why would Ferguson have played him so much in their US tour? - from the YouTube footage of those games it looked like he played well, scoring a goal and setting up a couple.

As a replacement for Routledge it's a clear improvement, as a replacement for Barton they're very different players. Mentality could be this kids problem as well...

well we have to see how he does i have signed obertan on fifa 11 i have put routledge up for sale. on fifa 11 obertan is rated 75 i think which isnt bad pretty good

The focus finally switched back to football at Newcastle after a week when Tweetgate dominated talk on Tyneside.

The main characters in the latest St James' Park soap opera were absent for their final warm-up game before facing Arsenal on Saturday. Joey Barton, on his way out over his comments on Twitter, was nowhere to be seen, while boardroom chiefs Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias were also absent.

Perhaps Ashley and Llambias feared a backlash from fans, but overwhelming internet support for Barton during the week was not reflected here apart from occasional chants backing the player. Indeed a crowd of less than 13,000 only became animated when the match was abandoned 19 minutes into the second half because the pitch was waterlogged. Until then, Barton was forgotten as the crowd appeared more interested in seeing how Newcastle performed against a Fiorentina side that finished ninth in Serie A last season, than blasting the board.

Alan Pardew, Newcastle's manager, had clearly decided that, with their opening League game only a week away, the time for experiment is over. The vast majority of the team that started yesterday can expect to play against the Gunners, with Manchester United winger Gabriel Obertan likely to join them if he passes a medical tomorrow. "The deal's almost there," Pardew said. "He has to come through a medical, but I'm looking forward to him joining the club."

Meanwhile, Pardew plans talks with Barton this week. The manager said: "I want my best players playing for the club, but Joey has to buy into what we are doing. We will have a couple of chats and go from there."

The players who have joined Newcastle made their first appearance at St James' Park, with Yohan Cabaye impressing Pardew in midfield. "He was the outstanding player on the pitch," Pardew said. "His passing and control of the game showed he will give us a different dimension."

Demba Ba and Sylvain Marveaux, the other new faces, went on at the start of the second half and showed in their cameo performances that they may force their way into the side in place of Leon Best and Peter Lovenkrands, who made little impact.

Best wasted United's only chance of a low-key first half when he dragged his shot wide after being put clear by Jonas Gutierrez, while only two fine saves by keeper Tim Krul prevented Fiorentina going ahead. Krul was replaced at the interval by Fraser Forster, who also impressed, but with last season's first-choice Steve Harper again missing through injury, Krul can expect to be given the nod in their Premier League opener. Others who boosted their chances of being involved were Steven Taylor and Dan Gosling, while Jose Enrique showed the pace and quality that will be missed if he gets the move he craves.

Pardew said that referee Mark Halsey was right to abandon the match. He said: "There is nothing you can do about the weather. The pitch was starting to look dangerous at half-time and I asked him to end it quickly.The rain just didn't stop."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/footbal...de-2333216.html

Hmm. Not a signing to get the pulse racing but id say a decent enough squad addition assuming we don't lose the likes of Barton.

God.

Stop fucking moaning man.

Sorry like, but fuck me.....you wanted this.

:lol:

Hmm. Not a signing to get the pulse racing but id say a decent enough squad addition assuming we don't lose the likes of Barton.

God.

Stop fucking moaning man.

Sorry like, but fuck me.....you wanted this.

:D

Do you have to post something like this under ever single comment Dr Gloom makes?

He's a fuckin good player, all this bollocks about him not being good enough for Man Utd, he's just never got the run of games he might have. Every time I've seen him he's impressed me, quick, gets the ball in, good dribbler, and thinking about it yesterday, Pardew was saying he rang Ferguson for twitter advice, fuckin Fergie probably doesn't even know how to switch a PC on. I guarantee he rang him about Obertan, he'd be a good signing relatively cheap if we can do a permanent deal. Speaks the right language for wor teams as well.

GTCI

I actually think the same, accepting we are now existing on limited budgets etc [won't go into it again] but the little

I've seen of him, he looks the sort of player you would target. Maybe not good enough for ManU, but I'm fairly sure he's a damn sight better than that knacker Routledge.

He's a fuckin good player, all this bollocks about him not being good enough for Man Utd, he's just never got the run of games he might have. Every time I've seen him he's impressed me, quick, gets the ball in, good dribbler, and thinking about it yesterday, Pardew was saying he rang Ferguson for twitter advice, fuckin Fergie probably doesn't even know how to switch a PC on. I guarantee he rang him about Obertan, he'd be a good signing relatively cheap if we can do a permanent deal. Speaks the right language for wor teams as well.

GTCI

I actually think the same, accepting we are now existing on limited budgets etc [won't go into it again] but the little

I've seen of him, he looks the sort of player you would target. Maybe not good enough for ManU, but I'm fairly sure he's a damn sight better than that knacker Routledge.

Well done :D

ALAN PARDEW is confident that incoming winger Gabriel Obertan will bring some “much-needed pace” to Newcastle United.

The Chronicle understands Pardew will step up his hunt for a striker in the hope of bolstering his squad in time for Saturday night’s powder-keg opener against Arsenal.

Obertan was set to complete his move from Manchester United today and sign a five-year contract to become the FIFTH Frenchman to sign for the Magpies this summer.

It’s believed that Obertan will arrive at St James’ Park hungry and with a point to prove after making just 14 Premier League appearances for the Red Devils in two years.

Pardew told the Chronicle today: “I said I wanted to bring pace into the team.

“It was lacking last year and Gabriel will definitely bring that to the team.

“He will be at the training ground today and having his medical.”

Pardew wasn’t too disappointed to see the back of the pre-season schedule that has contained plenty of turbulent moments.

The manager addressed fans in his programme notes on Saturday and said: “You deserve to see top-quality players at Newcastle.”

However, his quest to lure players to Tyneside on a limited budget is proving to be a testing experience after missing out on a host of targets.

He continued: “It has been a weird pre-season for us.

“The £35m tag has been at the top of the agenda.

“Then there has been the situation with Joey.

“Through it all the players have worked really hard and we have good players here.”

One of Pardew’s desired targets, Mevlut Erding, was restricted to just an eight-minute run-out against Lorient in Paris St Germain’s opener for the season in France, with his side slipping to a 1-0 defeat.

Pardew says he will continue to fight on with his squad, even if it will be against the odds at times.

He said: “We are putting out a team that has to excel because it is the only way we can compete.

“Any player who I put out on that pitch has to play above themselves.

“We did that last year, we lost Andy Carroll and we played above ourselves.

“And I don’t think anybody can deny that.

“That’s what I will ask people to do against Arsenal.

“You want your top players in your team like Jose Enrique and Joey Barton and they need to be in a position where they play above themselves.

“And if they don’t we will have to go with other players.”

Pardew is keen to bring in a new left-back, and it is understood that Toulouse star Cheikh M’Bengue remains on the Magpies’ radar.

A move to Marseille for M’Bengue fell through because of a dispute between sporting director Jose Anigo, who wanted to sign the defender, and Didier Deschamps, who wasn’t happy about the possibility of him coming to the Velodrome because of his potential January involvement in the African Cup of Nations with Senegal.

For now Pardew is trying to keep Enrique in the best shape possible and review the Spaniard’s position on a game-by-game basis.

He said: “I spoke to Jose last week and told him that he needed to play against Fiorentina because he needs to be right for the Arsenal game.

“I told him he doesn’t want to be in the stands for the first game. He loves playing the game.

“He played excellently against Fiorentina and put himself at risk.

“That’s what you want.”

Pardew may well give Barton a run-out in a behind-closed-doors friendly with Championship outfit Middlesbrough today, with Alan Smith and Ryan Taylor also potential starters.

Barton has not appeared for United since his Twitter rant at Leeds eight days ago and has been training with the development squad.

United hope that Cheick Tiote returns from Ghana in good time for the game with Arsenal with the midfielder waiting for his visa from the Ivory Coast Embassy.

Meanwhile, weekend reports linking Fabricio Coloccini with a move to Valencia are thought to be premature, with no bids for the Argentine yet.