Obertan Signs Five Year Deal

McFaul

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad we've added some pace to the side, as even though the hoof ball tactic to Carroll (and to an extent Shola) brought us success, we certainly looked one paced at times when we had Nolan, Barton and Carroll being the focal points of our attack.

Now we've brought in Ba, Marveaux and Obertan that will give a different dimension to our attack, as well as the extra energy and finesse that Cabaye will bring our midfield play.

Ideally, we still need another striker, and I have some concerns over the depth we've got at the back.

With these signings though, I can see a big improvement on our home form, where we struggled to break down the likes of Stoke and Blackpool, due to the one dimensional nature of the side.

but it wasn't until Wayne Routledge joined Swansea that we were able to bring him in.

Says it all really.

Whats the official fee by the way?

Probably something to do with the 25 man squad thing.

Quite pleased with this signing, I reckon he could be an important player for us. Should link up well with HBA due to their academy grassroots.

Thing is, that 5 year deal to me reads as thus: if he's any good, we can shift him on for a profit in one or two years' time.

Good replacement for Routledge, if that is what it is. Definite improvement, that should settle well because of the growing French contingent.

but it wasn't until Wayne Routledge joined Swansea that we were able to bring him in.

Says it all really.

Whats the official fee by the way?

Probably something to do with the 25 man squad thing.

I was wondering if he was referring to Obertan being Routledge's direct replacement. Couldn't commit to bringing him in until Routledge left, or something.

I'm glad we've added some pace to the side, as even though the hoof ball tactic to Carroll (and to an extent Shola) brought us success, we certainly looked one paced at times when we had Nolan, Barton and Carroll being the focal points of our attack.

Now we've brought in Ba, Marveaux and Obertan that will give a different dimension to our attack, as well as the extra energy and finesse that Cabaye will bring our midfield play.

Ideally, we still need another striker, and I have some concerns over the depth we've got at the back.

With these signings though, I can see a big improvement on our home form, where we struggled to break down the likes of Stoke and Blackpool, due to the one dimensional nature of the side.

Add in Ben Arfa to that too. I think you have a point but I worry that if you take Nolan and Barton out of the team and replace them with this lot you have lost a lot of backbone and players that will grab the game by the scruff of the neck and turn it round. They have more flair but will they have the bottle.

We desperately need a quality striker though as without Carrol and Nolans goals we are really short.

Add in Ben Arfa to that too. I think you have a point but I worry that if you take Nolan and Barton out of the team and replace them with this lot you have lost a lot of backbone and players that will grab the game by the scruff of the neck and turn it round. They have more flair but will they have the bottle.

We desperately need a quality striker though as without Carrol and Nolans goals we are really short.

Aye, it's a tough balancing act. Although for now, we've still got Tiote in there, and from what I've seen of Cabaye (I know it's only pre-season), but he's not just good on the ball, he hasn't been afraid to get stuck in and do his fair bit for the team. So he's kind of like Barton in that respect, he just looks a little more mobile. As I said, it's early days, but I do have high hopes for him from what I've seen.

Possible captain material when the inevitable happens and we sell Colo next summer.

still got tiote there to break stuff up and Bartons not gone anywhere yet and is back training with the first team again apparently

I said it in the other thread but if Ashley had dropped 10mil on a striker and held on to Nolan, Jose and Joey then we wouldn't have minded him pocketing 20mil of the Carroll money. Some astute signings, badly let down by getting rid of established good players

I said it in the other thread but if Ashley had dropped 10mil on a striker and held on to Nolan, Jose and Joey then we wouldn't have minded him pocketing 20mil of the Carroll money. Some astute signings, badly let down by getting rid of established good players

Personally, I'm not that bothered about Nolan going. Yes, he was a good captain, and I really couldn't have seen him scoring the same amount of goals again. Plus, I think Cabaye would have started ahead of him anyway, and I really don't think he'd have been very happy about it.

Aye and because of the players that've gone and will be going in the next 12 months or so (Barton, Enrique plus possibly Tiote and Coloccini) we're basically having to make a number of astute signings in order to stand still, let alone progress.

Edited by alex

Gabriel Obertan: I'll prove the doubters wrong

GABRIEL OBERTAN has vowed to prove his doubters wrong after confirmation of his big move to Newcastle United.

The 22-year-old has appeared just 14 times in the Premier League for Manchester United in the last two years.

However, with world-class performers Nani, Antonio Valencia, Ryan Giggs, Park Ji-Sung and Anderson ahead of him in the Old Trafford pecking order, he admits life had been tough in the North West.

Now the winger says he is straining at the leash to show Toon fans what he can do.

Speaking after confirmation of his move to Newcastle, the Frenchman spoke of his burning desire to get stuck into Arsenal in Saturday night’s explosive opener against the Gunners.

With a slightly less daunting path in front of him to the Toon first team, Obertan is hungry to show his worth.

When asked about the difficulties of getting past the likes of Nani and Co, Obertan told the Chronicle: “It is true that was a hard task – and it is difficult in Manchester when you do not play as much as you want to.

“There were a lot of very good players there.

“There is a lot of pressure. It is hard for any player when you only play every five or six games.

“It was difficult, but despite that I still had good memories there.

“Now I just want to show the Newcastle United fans exactly what I can do. Each game I play here I will have a point to prove.

“I will be showing that in training every session and of course in the matches.

“It will not be easy because there are quality players here already.

“I just want to give 100% for the club.”

Obertan was signed by Manchester United from Bordeaux two years ago after three years and 54 appearances and three goals for the French outfit.

He is regarded primarily as a creator of goals, but says he leaves Old Trafford and Sir Alex Ferguson with no regrets.

Obertan added: “You cannot be happy to leave a big club normally and I spent two good years there.

“I have good memories of being there – we won the title and I was involved in good games there.

“I am not sad, though, because I have signed for a big club.

“It is very big here, there is a lot of history and I want to be here.”

Obertan could go straight into the thick of the action against Arsene Wenger’s side this weekend and is looking forward to pulling on a black-and-white shirt for the first time.

He said: “If I can make my debut against Arsenal that would be great for me. It would be something that I would remember for a very long time.”

Meanwhile, Joey Barton trained with the first team group yesterday as the build-up to the Arsenal game continued.

:: UNITED’S development squad pulled off an 8-2 win over Middlesbrough yesterday with Sammy Ameobi, Phil Airey and Nile Ranger all on target.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-u.../#ixzz1UXLUpB00