The Great British riots

Gene_Clark

It can't come as any surprise that the store they're looting are Currys, Jessops, JD Sports etc. We live in a nation that is wrapped up in consumerism. You can't turn anywhere without being battered by aspirational messages - buy this, shop there, wear that etc. No matter how misplaced the anger and pointless the looting knicking a pair of Nike Airs is their political statement. Listen to them when they're interviewed - hardly the most eloquent people in the world but when they're not talking about "fuckin' da feds, innit" there does seem to be a degree of understanding of both the political and social implications of what has happened and what's to come.

The number of people claiming benefits because they're out for an easy ride is pretty minimal, yet as this thread shows the scrounger stereotype pervades any discussion about those on the dole or disability. No wonder there's disenfranchisement amongst certain areas of society when they're constantly told that the 'career path' they're being forced down due to circumstances outside their control makes them second class citizens. It doesn't help that this message is being passed down by politicians who have stole more cash from the country than they have, the fans being flamed by the journalists who have wronged more people than they have and doors are being slammed shut in their faces thanks to the greediness of the bankers who are still being treated like the goose that laid the golden egg.

In school we remind kids that they're not quite good enough, so even if they do get out they're never going to have made it - don't get the grades and you're just another waster, get the grades and it's because the exams were easy. Go to university (if you can afford it) and unless you study a 'proper' subject you're derided for being a time waster. You're not meant to be learning, you're meant to be preparing yourself for the world of work. I mean who wants to learn in this day and age? Get out and start sweeping the streets. The only university you need to go to is the University of Life.

It may all seem pretty trivial, but piled one on top of another I can see why "da yoot" are fucked off.

And before anyone starts this isn't a justification, merely an attempt to understand why this has happened.

Good post. Though the one thing that doesnt sink with me. I was brought up in benwell from '72 until '79 when I moved to West Denton. It's fair to say I lived in a rough area. I done fuck all at school bar daydream. I fit your example perfectly. Encouraged by my Father to go out and work and that training schemes were slave labour. I got one O level (Actually a GCSE, the first year they were done) and that was in Art. I wanted to resit Maths as I just missed out. Went back to 6th form but left in Jan to get a job and earn money. Didnt go to uni.

Dont have a criminal record. Stolen from a shop once as a teen and got caught. Thank fuck I did tbh. Otherwise Im your typical bloke who stays on the right side of the law (bar speeding, but thats another discussion). I now run my own business through nowt but hard graft. I never felt like society owed me anything. Never felt hard done by even when I had my first flat and no carpets, no bed. I slept on a sofa that I was given and washed my clothes in the bath. This was when I was about 19 and in Newbiggin Hall. First job I earned £6500 a year. Never once did I think "fuck this, I deserve better so I'll steal it". Hard graft, head down. Everything I have I've earned. Was on the dole once for 2 weeks and hated it. So, all this talk of "theres no opportunities" and "I dont get paid to go to Uni" or whatever. I'm sure you can see why I think "Fuck You". Also maybe you can see why I do tend to label many on the dole as scroungers. Of course, there are those who try and fail. But there are many who dont.

To give a balanced argument though. Criminality is at all levels of society. It not just the poor. The whole things stinks of hypocrisy. The MP scoffs at the 16yr old petty thief while he files his dodgy expenses. Is it so different? But, while that is wrong, it doesnt make the former any more acceptable. You cant look at one and say its ok as the other does it.

I blame the parents :icon_lol:

I actually do btw :icon_lol:

Difficult to tell from your post but am I right in thinking you came from an essentially loving and caring family? Without trying to sound completely gay here, material poverty is only a small part of the problem. Emotional neglect can be much more damaging for kids, especially young ones.

Aye. Mother left us when I was 2 and I was brought up by my Gran mainly while my Dad worked (and still does) on the buses (huge images of Blakey here :lol:)

Agree re emotional neglect. I dont like to pre-judge but t's hard not to. When I see some kid getting brayed by his mother who is blowing smoke in his face while she stuffs her face on a pasty, its hard not to think "what chance have you got?"...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can't come as any surprise that the store they're looting are Currys, Jessops, JD Sports etc. We live in a nation that is wrapped up in consumerism. You can't turn anywhere without being battered by aspirational messages - buy this, shop there, wear that etc. No matter how misplaced the anger and pointless the looting knicking a pair of Nike Airs is their political statement. Listen to them when they're interviewed - hardly the most eloquent people in the world but when they're not talking about "fuckin' da feds, innit" there does seem to be a degree of understanding of both the political and social implications of what has happened and what's to come.

The number of people claiming benefits because they're out for an easy ride is pretty minimal, yet as this thread shows the scrounger stereotype pervades any discussion about those on the dole or disability. No wonder there's disenfranchisement amongst certain areas of society when they're constantly told that the 'career path' they're being forced down due to circumstances outside their control makes them second class citizens. It doesn't help that this message is being passed down by politicians who have stole more cash from the country than they have, the fans being flamed by the journalists who have wronged more people than they have and doors are being slammed shut in their faces thanks to the greediness of the bankers who are still being treated like the goose that laid the golden egg.

In school we remind kids that they're not quite good enough, so even if they do get out they're never going to have made it - don't get the grades and you're just another waster, get the grades and it's because the exams were easy. Go to university (if you can afford it) and unless you study a 'proper' subject you're derided for being a time waster. You're not meant to be learning, you're meant to be preparing yourself for the world of work. I mean who wants to learn in this day and age? Get out and start sweeping the streets. The only university you need to go to is the University of Life.

It may all seem pretty trivial, but piled one on top of another I can see why "da yoot" are fucked off.

And before anyone starts this isn't a justification, merely an attempt to understand why this has happened.

Good post. Though the one thing that doesnt sink with me. I was brought up in benwell from '72 until '79 when I moved to West Denton. It's fair to say I lived in a rough area. I done fuck all at school bar daydream. I fit your example perfectly. Encouraged by my Father to go out and work and that training schemes were slave labour. I got one O level (Actually a GCSE, the first year they were done) and that was in Art. I wanted to resit Maths as I just missed out. Went back to 6th form but left in Jan to get a job and earn money. Didnt go to uni.

Dont have a criminal record. Stolen from a shop once as a teen and got caught. Thank fuck I did tbh. Otherwise Im your typical bloke who stays on the right side of the law (bar speeding, but thats another discussion). I now run my own business through nowt but hard graft. I never felt like society owed me anything. Never felt hard done by even when I had my first flat and no carpets, no bed. I slept on a sofa that I was given and washed my clothes in the bath. This was when I was about 19 and in Newbiggin Hall. First job I earned £6500 a year. Never once did I think "fuck this, I deserve better so I'll steal it". Hard graft, head down. Everything I have I've earned. Was on the dole once for 2 weeks and hated it. So, all this talk of "theres no opportunities" and "I dont get paid to go to Uni" or whatever. I'm sure you can see why I think "Fuck You". Also maybe you can see why I do tend to label many on the dole as scroungers. Of course, there are those who try and fail. But there are many who dont.

To give a balanced argument though. Criminality is at all levels of society. It not just the poor. The whole things stinks of hypocrisy. The MP scoffs at the 16yr old petty thief while he files his dodgy expenses. Is it so different? But, while that is wrong, it doesnt make the former any more acceptable. You cant look at one and say its ok as the other does it.

I actually do btw :icon_lol:

Difficult to tell from your post but am I right in thinking you came from an essentially loving and caring family? Without trying to sound completely gay here, material poverty is only a small part of the problem. Emotional neglect can be much more damaging for kids, especially young ones.

Aye. Mother left us when I was 2 and I was brought up by my Gran mainly while my Dad worked (and still does) on the buses (huge images of Blakey here :lol:)

Agree re emotional neglect. I dont like to pre-judge but t's hard not to. When I see some kid getting brayed by his mother who is blowing smoke in his face while she stuffs her face on a pasty, its hard not to think "what chance have you got?"...

Do you visit Washington often?

Some kids who live near us. They are of Primary school age and you look at their parents and think "NO chance" Mother smokes weed, screams at her kids, commits benefit fraud and is basically a fucking gutter dog. Her kids are slowly going that way. They throw litter about, they have started swearing and basically started trashing peoples property because their bored as the mother is sat watching her 3D TV rolling another "phat" one.

I actually do btw :lol:

I think at the core is the concept of "decency" - if shit loads of people don't honestly see anything wrong with looting then we're basically fucked.

The stupid thing is I think as a whole "society" has improved over the last few decades - I know people don't believe it but there is less crime and shit like racism and homophobia along with other bigotries are less than what they used to be but there is still a huge problem with recognition of what is right and wrong at a fundamental level.

As I said when discussing the NOTW thing I couldn't believe how the idea that coppers took money for information didn't cause the outrage I felt it should and as you say things like expense fiddling and tax avoidance seem to be seen as almost acceptable.

This seems to me at least to show a conflict between how people generally behave and how easy it is for them to accept stuff they know is wrong when it suits - very worrying.

shockingly bad education system has resulted in youth of today being primarily fucking thick, preoccupied with celebrity and unaware of anything outside of the vision of their phones' screens ?

can't wait for the next generation of them...and the next...

fucking tragic

This is why for me that no matter how much I do think "they're scum", I also think it needs bigger answers - a lot of the time you just can't get decent people out of shit upbringings and I don't think they should be blamed 100%

It's too easy for us who have been brought up properly to look down on them when it's not necessarily their fault.

I think at the core is the concept of "decency" - if shit loads of people don't honestly see anything wrong with looting then we're basically fucked.

The stupid thing is I think as a whole "society" has improved over the last few decades - I know people don't believe it but there is less crime and shit like racism and homophobia along with other bigotries are less than what they used to be but there is still a huge problem with recognition of what is right and wrong at a fundamental level.

As I said when discussing the NOTW thing I couldn't believe how the idea that coppers took money for information didn't cause the outrage I felt it should and as you say things like expense fiddling and tax avoidance seem to be seen as almost acceptable.

This seems to me at least to show a conflict between how people generally behave and how easy it is for them to accept stuff they know is wrong when it suits - very worrying.

shockingly bad education system has resulted in youth of today being primarily fucking thick, preoccupied with celebrity and unaware of anything outside of the vision of their phones' screens ?

fucking tragic

They see mongs get on shit TV like Big Brother, XFactor, Im a mong fucking love me and we glorify these shit shows, throw money at them etc. Its a joke it really is.

You can only laugh watching these people on the TV asking folk to make sure their kids and family are home at night...the people they're talking to are meth-heads who sold their telly so they could score and are busy blowing some randomer for the next hit.

I know a lad who was homeless living in a tent for 6 months at 16 years old. He now has two jobs - one decent one very good - and is studying his Masters degree. It would have been easy for him as a kid to give up and smash a shop window but he didn't.

A lot of it has to be about effort.

I know a lad who was homeless living in a tent for 6 months at 16 years old. He now has two jobs - one decent one very good - and is studying his Masters degree. It would have been easy for him as a kid to give up and smash a shop window but he didn't.

Aye, effort of your own back, but why should you do that when you get paid to goto College init? Paid to doss about chilling wiv your brov's Ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyye

I'd agree...but I've been at work since 7.30am and done nowt but post in this thread.

The hard work never stops when you're an upstanding and contributing member of society.

:icon_lol:

fucking tragic

They see mongs get on shit TV like Big Brother, XFactor, Im a mong fucking love me and we glorify these shit shows, throw money at them etc. Its a joke it really is.

It's actually a condition now where it's 'cool' to be thick, obnoxious and generally rude .

I know that reads like a letter a letter an old dear would send to The Chron but it's simply how I see it.

Anyone who uses public transport regularly (particularly in school holidays) will be able to relate to this.

They've got nothing behind their eyes at all, no ambition, awareness or social skills.

Truly depressing state of affairs.

I'd agree...but I've been at work since 7.30am and done nowt but post in this thread.

The hard work never stops when you're an upstanding and contributing member of society.

I don't know how some of the cunts that post on here hold down a job tbh .

(Part meaning time spent posting / part meant bubble heads)

Let it be said, lest we forget, poverty is NO EXCUSE.

I've whizzed through the posts today, so forgive me if I have some details mixed up.

Poverty in Britain is relatively comfortable on a world level. We all know someone, be they a family-member or a friend, who lives, or has lived below the poverty line; there are examples on this very website:

Manc-Mag, or Scotty as some of you know him, didn't have a pot to piss in when he was growing up. Raised by a Jamaican crackhead, he shunned the pipe and the moral decay, the descent into crime of those around him: that would have been an easy path to take, but no. Life was difficult, and between them Scotty and his father didn't have a penny to rub together--not that Scotty would want spend time rubbing a penny with such a scrofulous oaf. He displayed an academic flair and worked on it, eventually passing the BAR exams and soaring like a bald eagle to the top of his profession. He is now a respected barrister. Does this story sound familiar? No, because too many take the other path and end up like the rabble we see on our screens today.

NO EXCUSES

I've whizzed through the posts today, so forgive me if I have some details mixed up.

Poverty in Britain is relatively comfortable on a world level. We all know someone, be they a family-member or a friend, who lives, or has lived below the poverty line; there are examples on this very website:

Manc-Mag, or Scotty as some of you know him, didn't have a pot to piss in when he was growing up. Raised by a Jamaican crackhead, he shunned the pipe and the moral decay, the descent into crime of those around him: that would have been an easy path to take, but no. Life was difficult, and between them Scotty and his father didn't have a penny to rub together--not that Scotty would want spend time rubbing a penny with such a scrofulous oaf. He displayed an academic flair and worked on it, eventually passing the BAR exams and soaring like a bald eagle to the top of his profession. He is now a respected barrister. Does this story sound familiar? No, because too many take the other path and end up like the rabble we see on our screens today.

NO EXCUSES

He knew those shoes would be his one day.

NO EXCUSES

:icon_lol::lol:

I still think having to have a license to have children would be effective. Unless you pass a certain criteria then you don't get a license, anyone dodging it gets an enforced termination or child relocation and sterilisation :icon_lol:

NO EXCUSES

:icon_lol: Scotty isn't manc-mag, he's someone else... but your biography of him is spot on anyway

I still think having to have a license to have children would be effective. Unless you pass a certain criteria then you don't get a license, anyone dodging it gets an enforced termination or child relocation and sterilisation :icon_lol:

I think it should also be applied retrospectively.

Line em up, gun em down. :lol: