The Great British riots

Gene_Clark

I've just watched that interview with Howe again on the Beeb. Judging by the comments--admittedly not an accurate barometer of public opinion, but they're all I have access to at the moment--a lot of people seem to support what he's saying. He compares the riots to the demonstrations in Syria. I know that there is a mindset amongst young people, like those at the tuition fee demos, who genuinely believe that, say, Iran is a more open and free society than England. They genuinely believe that we live in a totalitarian state, and a brutal police state to boot. And they believe that it is the state that is to blame for all the failures in their life.

What's clear though is that this whole thing is a fucking mess: it can't be adequately explained because there are so many different things at play; 'multiculturalism' only adds to that, with many different communities of immigrants involved and battling each other.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gemmil and Joey.....separated at birth :icon_lol:

@Joey7Barton

Joseph Barton

Water cannon, nice! Always makes good TV. Hope all u robbing little ferrets are out tonight, u will get dismantled

Some top brass fella from the Met was on the news last night saying how anyone who mentions a water cannon or rubber bullets is an idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about. They're tools used on large stationary crowds in order to create space, not small highly mobile groups.......

Ministers have drawn up plans to allow police to deploy water cannon at 24 hours' notice, David Cameron has announced.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/aug/10/d...on-police-riots

Pandering arseholes.

And in case you Labour lot missed it Americas credit rating is being down graded. So if you cant see you were wrong on spending there's no debate to have. I'd get more sense out of a mop.

No debate? :icon_lol:

It was a symbolic downgrading from a discredited rating agency. If not then how come the interest rates the US pays on it's debt fell immediately after S&P's latest joke?

The real problem is we (the UK and US) are facing a protracted period of stagnation or a double dip recession. Without growth, we can't reduce the deficit. Something you tory mopheads can't get your heads around it seems.

There's no debate because you cant see the mess the US has gotten itself into, therefore you wont acknowledge the spending cuts were needed. You're wrong and you clearly cant see it. "unsustainable public sector", "deficit" - the clues couldn't slap you in the face any harder.

Why do people think public sector spending will increase growth? Are you saying a double dip could be avoided by sustaining an unsustainable public sector? ~madness personified. Growth through tax breaks to SME make much more sense than hiring 10 people to do 1 persons job.

fyi, S&P downgraded the US because they increased their self imposed credit limit. Which makes sense. More credit = more risk. Justify it all you want, but 16 trillion beggars belief.

And in case you Labour lot missed it Americas credit rating is being down graded. So if you cant see you were wrong on spending there's no debate to have. I'd get more sense out of a mop.

No debate? :icon_lol:

It was a symbolic downgrading from a discredited rating agency. If not then how come the interest rates the US pays on it's debt fell immediately after S&P's latest joke?

The real problem is we (the UK and US) are facing a protracted period of stagnation or a double dip recession. Without growth, we can't reduce the deficit. Something you tory mopheads can't get your heads around it seems.

There's no debate because you cant see the mess the US has gotten itself into, therefore you wont acknowledge the spending cuts were needed. You're wrong and you clearly cant see it. "unsustainable public sector", "deficit" - the clues couldn't slap you in the face any harder.

Why do people think public sector spending will increase growth? Are you saying a double dip could be avoided by sustaining an unsustainable public sector? ~madness personified. Growth through tax breaks to SME make much more sense than hiring 10 people to do 1 persons job.

fyi, S&P downgraded the US because they increased their self imposed credit limit. Which makes sense. More credit = more risk. Justify it all you want, but 16 trillion beggars belief.

As it happen there was a canny interesting article in the Times today about utterly laughable the credit agencies are considered to be now by the markets, but of course pandering to them is in the tories interests.

Most of what you've written is just strawman anyway. No one has said that spending shouldn't be curbed, the question was to what extent and how it should be balanced with increased taxation. So far the government plans are simply not working, that much is pretty much a fact. They've blamed it on cold weather, hot weather, Japanese earthquakes, royal weddings, and no doubt will soon add the riots to the list. Yet our growth is pathetic even compared to the struggling eurozone. The problem is though that the government is dogmatic to the extent it would rather harm our economy than take out a plan B (although they've flip flopped on virtually every other issue and the police force will surely be next).

Still, apparently everything is going swimmingly and there is no debate to be had..... :lol:

My sister's on duty tonight, in either Coventry, or Brum. I'm of the opinion that the looters are thick wankers, and poverty etc. is a bad excuse for them being empty headed, violent cunts.

The looters are dumb??? Your sister doesn't know where she's on duty ffs!! :icon_lol:

EDIT: Punctuation, hips, punctuation!!

Edited by snakehips

Looks like the cops in Manchester are giving the rioters a bit of tough love.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14482695

And this is why the cops are reluctant to tackle these cunts, lay a finger on them and it's all about how the cops are heavy handed and not that the little fuckers are commiting a criminal act in the first place.

If you look at the scenes from London, majority of them are Black. If you look at Manchester the majority are white.

There's not an accent in Britain which has been more influenced by ethnic minorities than Mancunian. Mancs didn't speak like they do now 50 years ago, it is entrenched in black culture, and it's not called Gunchester as a result for nothing, same as Nottingham which has very similar demographics.

You talk shite man. Half my family are from working class inner city Manchester and and my cousin's kids talk with the same Lancastrian accent as their grandparents do. Your trouible is you speak in sweeping generalisations in a "well a bloke down the pub told me...." way and dress it up as fact. Where the fuck did you get this pile of bollocks from?

Barton has zero insight like. The bloke who stubbed a cigar out in a kids face and a brother on a life sentence for a racist murder waxing lyrical about what's wrong with the youth of today and how shit their parents are :icon_lol:

Surely that would give him more insight than most?

If you look at the scenes from London, majority of them are Black. If you look at Manchester the majority are white.

There's not an accent in Britain which has been more influenced by ethnic minorities than Mancunian. Mancs didn't speak like they do now 50 years ago, it is entrenched in black culture, and it's not called Gunchester as a result for nothing, same as Nottingham which has very similar demographics.

You talk shite man. Half my family are from working class inner city Manchester and and my cousin's kids talk with the same Lancastrian accent as their grandparents do. Your trouible is you speak in sweeping generalisations in a "well a bloke down the pub told me...." way and dress it up as fact. Where the fuck did you get this pile of bollocks from?

It's even on the Manchester wiki page you cheeky fucking divvy. People don't talk like Jack Duckworth anymore in inner Manchester, people didn't talk like they do in Burnage and Gorton now, fifty years ago. Listen to older Mancunians. "I know someone in Manchester they don't talk like Liam Gallagher", ah well it mustn't have ever changed then. Nobhead.

Edited by McFaul

It's even on the Manchester wiki page you cheeky fucking divvy. People don't talk like Jack Duckworth anymore in inner Manchester, people didn't talk like they do in Burnage and Gorton now, fifty years ago. Listen to older Mancunians. "I know someone in Manchester they don't talk like Liam Gallagher", ah well it mustn't have ever changed then. Nobhead.

you know wikipedia can be edited by anyone right? theres a reason its not allowed as a source in academics

you know wikipedia can be edited by anyone right? theres a reason its not allowed as a source in academics

Is that your contribution to this debate or are you going to say something interesting that nobody knows or contradict my point?